PDA

View Full Version : Particle Emitter Help Please

SAHiN
03-29-2013, 05:31 PM
I seem to have come to a deadlock with LW particles.
What I have is a rig for automated weapons fire with a particle emitter and a volumetric light which are activated by an expression.
The rig works fine on its own. However the ship I bolt it to has a bit of complicated weapons system. Doors open a gun base moves up while the nozzles rotate up and towards the target.
When I bolt my weapon rig to the ship and align the particle emitter and lights to nozzle my particles seem to lose their coordinates (or at least I think they do that).
The funny thing is, particles actually shoot at right direction, however their head is looking diagonal direction. So imagine your machine gun firing bullets towards right direction yet each bullet comes out at 45 degree angle..

Is there a way to correct this ?

Thanks in advance

lino.grandi
03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Would be great to get a simplified scene containing the dynamic objects involved. ;)

In the meanwhile, try to check the Position Blur and Parent Motion percentages...Parent Motion should be set to a very low value in this situation, probably even at 0. Play with Position Blur as well...and see how the particle motion will change.

SAHiN
03-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Would be great to get a simplified scene containing the dynamic objects involved. ;)

Is this the first time you come across this Lino ?
I will try to set up a simple scene for you to look at..

lino.grandi
03-30-2013, 05:47 AM
Thanks!

A question....are you using the Calculate option?

SAHiN
03-30-2013, 05:52 AM
Thanks!

A question....are you using the Calculate option?

I tried calculate option.. I tried almost anything you can think of.. I even rotated the pivot of the emitter.. The problem is, emitter is shooting the particles right way.. Its just the actual particles are coming out with about 45 degree angle..

LightFreeze
03-30-2013, 07:29 AM
are you ?
calculating,
saving the file,
set rotation to align to path

geo_n
03-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Did you adjust parent motion particle settings?

SAHiN
03-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Did you adjust parent motion particle settings?

Yes I did.. However It makes no real difference since the emitter is at the end of multiple objects parented to each other doing different rotations and movements.

SAHiN
03-30-2013, 07:56 AM
are you ?
calculating,
saving the file,
set rotation to align to path

Once I save the file, it becomes baked. and doesn't really follow the path of the ship. Am I missing something here ?

LightFreeze
03-30-2013, 10:30 AM
you stated earlier that the particles move in the correct direction, do you mean the save file is different from the calculated file?

SAHiN
03-31-2013, 03:20 PM
you stated earlier that the particles move in the correct direction, do you mean the save file is different from the calculated file?

Sorry I think I got my wires crossed there..
The problem is, ship is moving, let's say on Z axis. Guns are placed on both sides of the ship and firing towards say X axis. In a setup like this align to path isn't doing much good as they are shooting towards X axis, their heads are looking towards Z. And no matter what I tried I couldn't stop that from happening..

LightFreeze
04-01-2013, 02:56 AM
like this?

SAHiN
04-01-2013, 05:19 AM
like this?

Very much like so.. :)
The only thing is, mine kind of go wrong direction and hang in the air. It's like I gave velocity setting of Y instead of Z.

LightFreeze
04-01-2013, 08:02 AM
check you have parent motion in the etc tab at zero %

SAHiN
04-01-2013, 08:07 AM
check you have parent motion in the etc tab at zero %

Been there done that.. As I said I think particles are getting confused due to complex parenting hierarchy.. However, I may have found a solution via hypervoxels . Checking use particle orientation seem to create an illusion audience will buy.. It will need some tweaking for close up shots but I think it may pass..
As for the particles, Lightwave developers should work on World Coordinates settings for complex hierarchies.. Cause as it stands with world coordinates checked on both X and Z move to same direction..

LightFreeze
04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
don't think you should use world coordinates at all

SAHiN
04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
don't think you should use world coordinates at all

I'm not as they provide no solution at all. But it would be nice if the particles actually went to world Z after selecting the option..
Here is something funny for you, you and I have exactly the same settings for particles. With the only difference of my Z distance is higher cause my scene is larger so i need them to go further.
I reloaded the scene again after checking yours, and now my setup works the way it should be working.. Does this happen..?

LightFreeze
04-01-2013, 01:31 PM
its always a possibility with dynamics, some internal cache doesn't get released properly, good you've got it working

SAHiN
04-01-2013, 02:06 PM
its always a possibility with dynamics, some internal cache doesn't get released properly, good you've got it working

Yeah I guess it does happen. I hate things going unpredictable on me..
It is sorted out now and hopefully won't cause any more problems. Thank for all the help LightFreeze.. Most appreciated. :)