PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get Fracture to resemble broken glass

short223
03-29-2013, 07:39 AM
I tried the search function but no luck.
My experiments with Fracture have come up ok in breaking up a potential plate of glass for a large object to shatter through, but the pieces are mostly evenly shaped (square in area) when I would like to have more sharp, narrow splinter like fractures. They all don't have to be splinter like, but it should have some. What is the the best way to achieve this with Fracture. I have used the background point method currently.
Also, is there a way to prevent Fracture from affecting an area?
Thanks!

TalleyJC
03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Not specifically glass like, but have you tried spray points and fracture in modeller?

short223
03-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Not specifically glass like, but have you tried spray points and fracture in modeler?
Yup, that was the method I used. It helped in focusing the smaller bits to the center but the overall shapes were very equidistant in area. I would like to achieve a few long, narrow splinters with more triangular in shape perhaps...

eKalb
03-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Is there a way to drive the fracture with an image? Or a way to create a plane of polys from an image that you could drill through the glass plane? Something like what is done in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5J-mB7Nac

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to drive the fracture with an image? Or a way to create a plane of polys from an image that you could drill through the glass plane? Something like what is done in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5J-mB7Nac

TalleyJC
03-29-2013, 01:09 PM
What I had attempted in the past was an eps import of a fractured glass image that I converted ultimately to points which I had hoped would create a break up pattern looking like a broken windshield. But the fracture algorithm calculates a whole bunch of fractures in all kinds of directions and took forever to calculate without the results I was looking for. It would be a great feature to project a black and white image to generate actual fracture points

prometheus
03-29-2013, 02:57 PM
1.you could try and find some image with nice cracks, trace it either in lightwave with curves or in photoshop or illustrator and export as eps, then use that as a cookie cutter, and drill slice on your geometry.

2.Another weird idea is to use dpon´t tree plugin verdure, to create a tree structure branching out in line mode, then flatten that and use a slice/stencil cutter.

3. theres a hidden crack up tool in lightwave 11..called Csg Slice, you find it under utilities/additional in the list, you can edit menu and add it under fracture destroy.

here´s two object samples, you can run the Csg slice command on the object for slicing so you see how it goes, and the other is the final result.
you can simply draw your cutter objects with the pen tool and thicken them and make sure the are thicker than the glass, put it in background layer and run the command.
with this command you can get exact cut out from wich ever shape you want, not only planar but in full 3d too.

Michael