PDA

View Full Version : OpenGl specularity issue.

Manveer Dhillon
03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Hi guys, I know I'm doing something wrong here... As you can see from the attached image the spec values of the tirewall and the rest of the tire are different. I have a UV texture on the tirewall and the spec values are exactly the same as the rest of the tire. But in Modeler/Lightwave OpenGL it displays mismatched. It will render fine. But I need to create an open GL demo and the mismatching spec values look really strange. can someone please help? :stumped:

Lewis
03-28-2013, 04:22 PM
What openGL mode are you using ? If you are in MTS mode try to switch to GSLSL mode (but be aware that tumbling/editing speed will slowdown considerably with medium-hi-poly)

Manveer Dhillon
03-28-2013, 06:48 PM
What openGL mode are you using ? If you are in MTS mode try to switch to GSLSL mode (but be aware that tumbling/editing speed will slowdown considerably with medium-hi-poly)

I used both modes. and still I see this issue. When i export to 3ds Max (.fbx) theres still a difference in specularity. Is it becuase I have a "UV texture" in the Color channel?

Lewis
03-29-2013, 01:13 AM
Color channel is proper channel to use this texture, Do you have alpha for texture (around Bridgestone text) or just flat text on black ??

Manveer Dhillon
03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Color channel is proper channel to use this texture, Do you have alpha for texture (around Bridgestone text) or just flat text on black ??

Theres no alpha channel for the texture. Its just white text on black background (saved as .tga), the black color used for the texture has the exact same RGB values as the black for the rest of the tire. I'm having this problem with the rest of the model too, anywhere where I've used a texture will not show any spec values in the viewport.

Lewis
03-29-2013, 05:37 PM
I know there is no alpha texture that's why I'm saying MAKE one (just copy/paste antoher layer and invert it and set to Alpha mode) and then see is it workign for specularity :).

Manveer Dhillon
03-30-2013, 12:13 PM
I know there is no alpha texture that's why I'm saying MAKE one (just copy/paste antoher layer and invert it and set to Alpha mode) and then see is it workign for specularity :).

Lewis, I do this in Photoshop?

Lewis
03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Lewis, I do this in Photoshop?

No need, you can do it in surface ediotr, apply same image twice but checek "invert" button and switch mode to Alpha for upper layer image.

Manveer Dhillon
03-30-2013, 01:44 PM
No need, you can do it in surface ediotr, apply same image twice but checek "invert" button and switch mode to Alpha for upper layer image.

I tried the method you recommended Lewis, but no luck. Do you textures in the viewport behave like this?

Lewis
03-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Well then I'm out of ideas :(. Yu did tried GLSLS Shaders instead Multitexture so there is no mor eoyu can do except render preview with VPR :).