PDA

View Full Version : Put Scene path name in the Layout title bar! (Quick, simple win!)

sami
03-28-2013, 04:02 AM
We have wide screens now. Please put the scene file .lws pathname along with the file name into the Layout title bar text. When working with multiple iterations of a file it is good to know at a glance which scene you are dealing with.

thanks!

Ryan Roye
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
I second this.

nickdigital
03-29-2013, 10:44 PM
I third this. Someone submit a feature request.

sami
03-30-2013, 02:17 AM
I third this. Someone submit a feature request.

I thought this was the place to submit feature requests and that was what I was doing? Are you saying this forum section is just a discussion section and Newtek doesn't use this for feature requests?

omichon
03-30-2013, 03:10 AM
So, the scene name is not enough for you ?
To make this request not so unanimous, I must say I never had a doubt about the scene version I was working on. Looks more like a naming convention to me (or too many beers issue ;) )
That said, as long it shows a relative path from the content directory and the scene name is not truncated, I guess I could live with this.

sami
03-30-2013, 03:28 AM
I follow best practices & naming conventions and as far as I've checked recently, I am not drunk :screwy:, however there are a number of cases where one is managing lots of iterations of scenes (and yes, I use version control) - especially when one is working through a particular or new workflow, where you may not know the final naming convention yet.

What harm is it to add it there? It would be just like every single editor around (and some like Notepad++ and Windows Explorer even allow you to turn off the path in the titlebar with an option setting somewhere).

And yes the content directory is king - but sometimes when you are flipping back and forth between an old archive content dir and a new one (game development software updates ring a bell?) it would be nice at a glance to see what is the path of the current scene file - along with what is the currently set Content folder...

I like that Layout now asks to switch content folders for you, but with like 1920 wide pixel screens common (and lets be generous, and say low end people would have 1280 wide screens) - there is ample space to show the path and somehow indicate what the current content folder is so you don't have to open the options panel with its tiny textbox (that doesn't even show the whole path without scrolling in it) and see all that at a cursory glance. I hardly think this request is contentious. :beerchug:

And I agree that the scene name should not be truncated (for some minimum screen res).

omichon
03-30-2013, 03:54 AM
Thanks for developing your point of view. Different work fields... different needs, I can understand that.
As long as the scene name is visible this request makes sense, but there are so many areas where LW displays a useless truncated path that I took it with caution.

sami
03-30-2013, 04:29 AM
And thank you for reminding me to remind Newtek to watch for truncating names. You are absolutely right about that...

nickdigital
03-30-2013, 08:13 AM
I thought this was the place to submit feature requests and that was what I was doing? Are you saying this forum section is just a discussion section and Newtek doesn't use this for feature requests?

Using Fogbugz is the official proper method to insure NewTek's devs see something. I'm not sure how often they monitor the forum. But to your point, if this section isn't the number one avenue for people to present feature requests then that should be clarified.

3dworks
05-23-2013, 08:06 AM
as for the original feature request: YES! (and please consider the mac version as well)