PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia tech demo at GDC: Real-time destruction, 30fps on a GTX680

phillydee
03-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Saw this on Kotaku today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=O04ErnJ8USY

GandB
03-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Would have been real nice if the buildings started collapsing when the support was shot out; like it would in the real world.

safetyman
03-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Would have been real nice if the buildings started collapsing when the support was shot out; like it would in the real world.

Yeah -- I think the "physics" is being faked or something. I believe the Unreal Engine folks showed some dynamic destruction in one of their UE4 demos a while back.

Nvidia shows off all these cool features every year, but how often do they make it into games or sims? Just wondering.

GandB
03-28-2013, 08:17 AM
I think it's more of a "starting point" for some of the studios with resources to modify things for a specific in-house engine. Remember the original Red Faction? That was pretty cool for it's day.

phillydee
03-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Well. Considering it's doing "Fracture" dynamically in real-time, I'd say it'd be pretty cool to eventually get GPU-aided dynamic calcs into Lightwave Layout. Not having to send an object to Modeler to run "Fracture", instead it'd be dynamically controlled by triggers in Layout. Amazing that the GTX680 can maintain a 30fps even while it's dynamically calculating fractures of both building and broken pieces. Sure, the RBD dynamics aren't anything to write home about, but I found the real-time fracturing to be quite impressive. My take only, of course.