PDA

View Full Version : what quad tools are there?

prometheus
03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Yes I know LW cad has it..

But for free plugins and tools, what quad tools do we have?..preferably 64 bit.

If you would create a flat polyshape with the pen with letīs say 10 points and run a command that connects the points and make it all quads.
Dont think faulknerīs script work for that and also not 64 bit?

would be nice to have a native quad tool, and why not implement a slice/connect option within the pen tool, or use some extra key, like shift or alt and then you can just click on the points and connect
or like the slice tool slice connect them within the pen tool.

The slice tool itself could feel better with right click or shift click drop and start so you can just hover over the point and slice click to make cuts fluent without having to drop the tool and restart it.

Michael

Julez4001
03-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Can you list the Quad tool(s) LW CAD has?

jeric_synergy
03-28-2013, 12:49 AM
If you would create a flat polyshape with the pen with letīs say 10 points and run a command that connects the points and make it all quads.
Dont think faulknerīs script work for that and also not 64 bit?
What? that's some messed up syntax there. Anyway, we have that script (been using it a lot lately) but it MUST fail for some polys, right?

would be nice to have a native quad tool, and why not implement a slice/connect option within the pen tool, or use some extra key, like shift or alt and then you can just click on the points and connect or like the slice tool slice connect them within the pen tool.
??? Again w/the syntax. Select 2 points and use CONNECT (I mapped to SHIFT+C) and done.

prometheus
03-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Can you list the Quad tool(s) LW CAD has?

make quad..check this video, though it show other stuff first
http://wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/assets/video/polyto/polyto.htm
Located under lwcad3 help convert(pol)
http://wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/

What? that's some messed up syntax there. Anyway, we have that script (been using it a lot lately) but it MUST fail for some polys, right?

??? Again w/the syntax. Select 2 points and use CONNECT (I mapped to SHIFT+C) and done.

Thatīs what I usally do, select 2 points and connect, or lasso select and run connect, but thatīs not the point, I want a tool that auto connects them all and make quad, mainly for flat surfaces made by the pen
tool.

I actually find it smoother to just use the slice tool, and have a short cut on that, since it highlights the point Im hovering over and slice it at once, so thats means getting rid of selection and running command.
The slice tool could use a direct drop and restart though....so you can just click away, maybe right click to start a new slice/connect.
As it is now..you need to restart the slice tool, preferably by shortcut for every slice/connect you do.

However, as mentioned auto cad tool like lw cad, or implement a slice/connect function directly in the pen tool would be great...you just use the pen tool and draw your shape, and then either use right click or some alternate button to connect them..thatīs a one go workflow tool enhancement that skips the process of dropping the tool find another tool select points and run the command.

Quad tool auto connect (in lw cad) is for points of more than 2 points ..and thatīs what Im after mainly, apart from the connect process workflow enhancements with slice and pen tool I would
like to see.

Michael

zardoz
03-28-2013, 08:49 AM
I use this a lot
cm_PolyDivide by Carl Merritt
http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/cm_polydivide/

prometheus
03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
I use this a lot
cm_PolyDivide by Carl Merritt
http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/cm_polydivide/

yeah..I knew that was around, thanks..it does the job half way, I noticed by drawing a shape with 6 points, running the cm_polydivide it connects in quads but it doesnīt connect in
the best of ways, it connects the points with the longest distance between them, not the shortest distance between points and in perpendicular angle.

Michael

prometheus
03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
cm polydivide seems to generate a mess of connecting the points outside of the geometry unfortunatly.

Michae

prometheus
03-28-2013, 10:03 AM
hereīs lw_cad quad...
see gif image.113112

from the lw cad site video..

zardoz
03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
yep you are right about polydivide...but I never knew that because I almost only use it with circles...

OFF
03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Shift T and MergeTrigonX - it works for most cases.

prometheus
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Shift T and MergeTrigonX - it works for most cases.

Thanks...I thought merge trigons was native, but I found the plugin, so itīs a triple first and merge trigons next two step..it works and seems to be the best free way to
auto quad the objects.

I would like to see a manual slice or connect option accordingly to what I mentioned for faster manual connecting, selecting points and connect takes just a little more time than just slice since
you do not need to select points with slice., so a slice tool that automaticly can continue to slice from points elsewhere would be nice, right now you can only continue slicing from previous point.
And even further I would rather have it build in the pen tool so you do not even have to switch tool.

need to find a shortcut for merge trigons though.:)

Thanks for the solution OFF.
hereīs the plugin link...
http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/mergetrigonsx/

zardoz
03-28-2013, 12:07 PM
don't forget to use this one after triple
Edge Relax by Denis Dratov aka Dexus
http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/edge-relax/

jeric_synergy
03-28-2013, 12:15 PM
I think it's more general to just say polydivide does not account for convexity.

Y'know, if NewTek implemented all this stuff it would put Viktor out of business. I don't want that, and I can't even afford LW_Cad.

prometheus
03-28-2013, 12:38 PM
I think it's more general to just say polydivide does not account for convexity.

Y'know, if NewTek implemented all this stuff it would put Viktor out of business. I don't want that, and I can't even afford LW_Cad.

hehe..understood, I do think though that some of stuff that victor has should be native, but thatīs not how it is, maybe a few tools should be anyway, and quad tool is one of them and a simple offset tool would be nice.

I think pictrix has some wonderful tools that reminds of viktorīs, at least functionality of tools even though it differs.

I could probably afford lw cad..but only if I really need it so to speak, and right now Im not sure I do, and it is always a question of priority, should I get turbulenceFD first or what you know.

I have tried lw cad a little ..so I know how capable it is.
Michael