PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Sizing problem with textures

beagle
11-07-2003, 04:46 AM
Hi, hope someone can help.
I'm in the process of building a Nokia mobile phone, and am having problems applying the texture of the numbers and letters etc. on the keys.

Basically, I am trying to use the method that Shloime used on his excellent Remote Control model. You can see this here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11599

I'm taking a screen shot of my model in top view, and cropping this precisely to the edges in Photoshop. This is my template.
But when I go into the texture editor, apply a colour map, and hit 'Automatic sizing', my map is all squashed at the bottom. I have to spend ages manually inputting figures until it fits my model.
Surely this defeats the object of using 'Automatic sizing'?

Can anyone tell me what am doing wrong please? Thanks in advance.
If I get this sorted I may post it in the 'Gallery' section!

beagle
11-07-2003, 04:48 AM
Blimey! The image worked OK!
This is what I get when I hit 'Automatic Sizing'.

Thanks again!

Mylenium
11-07-2003, 04:50 AM
Well, you didn't consider that automatic sizing will always only look at your current surface and the polys belonging to it. In your case you painted the texture for the overall length of the telephone but only the buttons are required. Crop your image to only cover the button area and everything will be fine.

Mylenium

beagle
11-07-2003, 05:57 AM
D'oh! Of course, thanks Mylenium.

Getting there...

Matt
11-07-2003, 07:16 AM
nice model - is it all sub-ds?

I just can't get on with sub-d modelling for product design work, but then I've not really tried!

beagle
11-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Thanks Matt! Yeah, it's pretty much all sub d's / NURBS, with 'bandsawing' to define edges.

I don't know where I'd be without 'bandsaw' and 'smooth shift'!

I'm trying out a couple of renders now, so keep an eye on the 'work in progress' forum, I'll be posting something up soon.