PDA

View Full Version : PNG problems

PepeWan
03-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Anybody else having problems with PNG files? Lightwave will generally crash when I try to render a PNG sequence (or stills), and if I try to load a PNG sequence I get just plain erratic results---sometimes it'll render, sometimes it'll render until it reaches a surface envelope, sometimes it'll render until I leave the room......the list goes on.

mlinde
03-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Not the answer you want, but why render to a PNG? You get less actual data in a PNG than many other image formats, which limits how the image can be used. If I were to suggest anything, I'd render to (in order) PCT-32, TIFF-32, or PSD (via Image Processing). If you are looking for PNG as the final output, I'd still render to other formats, then convert to PNG via photoshop.

To actually try and solve your problem, check if QT supports PNG, then remove the PNG plug-in and let QTTools.p handle the format (but only if QT supports PNG). Many times image issues are related to conflicts amongst different plug-ins that attempt to utilize the image.

PepeWan
03-04-2003, 10:48 AM
but why render to a PNG?
Well, it's like a hangnail; now that I know it's there, I can't not snag it. :D
Let's turn that around---why wouldn't I render to PNG? I.E., what are the specific drawbacks to the file format?
I like it because it's 32-bit, it looks just as good (as near as I can tell) as targas or picts, and the file sizes are much smaller.
That last part is actually important for when I have to save several animations to CD to send over to one of the Avids.

I tried removing the PNG plugin (kept my fingers crossed the whole time), but no dice.

mlinde
03-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Well, I guess the biggest reason not to render to PNG is that supprt for it may not be as universal as it should be. It has been recommended as a replacement format for a broad range of uses, from web to image editing, and is lossless, but if the support isn't 100%, that's one reason to not use it.

On a side rant, I find it almost humorous, although more often frustrating, that the MAC version of LW has more trouble with image file formats than the PC, when the Mac has been supporting and utilizing dozens of graphic file formats since before there was even a Windows OS.

PepeWan
03-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Well, I guess the biggest reason not to render to PNG is that supprt for it may not be as universal as it should be.

the MAC version of LW has more trouble with image file formats than the PC

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!! You are correct sir!!

At work, I can use the PNGs on the Avid Media Composers and the Avid XDVs, but not the AvidDS. And oh yeah, I can only use them with MAC LW once in a while, when the moon is in the seventh house and I stand on my left big toe.

At home, on the PC LW? No problem.

Beamtracer
03-05-2003, 01:30 AM
Lightwave Windows users don't get access to all the graphics formats that Lightwave OS X has. Try outputting a JPEG2000 file (.jp2) on Windows. You can't!!! Lightwave on the Mac can. JPEG2000 also has a lossless option.

mlinde
03-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Call me a pessimist here, Beam. I don't care if I have 50 image formats to choose from, if they don't all work 100% as they should. I'd rather only have 10 that do work 100% of the time.

Ari Danesh
03-05-2003, 12:08 PM
I am using 10.2.4and my main client always wants the output of my animations in PNG32 format. I have no problems here. it works flawaleslly.

LW 7.5
Mac OSX 10.2.4
Quicktime 6

Mac DP 500

Jimzip
03-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I'm also with Ari. I've never had a single problem with the file formats.
Maybe you should re-install LW or do a clean installation on your HD? Just poking in the dark as to what's wrong..

Jimzip:D

PepeWan
03-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Well, as of right now, I'm stuck with 10.1.5. I checked a colleague's computer; he's using 10.2.4, and LW seemed to do okay rendering the PNGs.
I'll just have to see if I can weasel my way into getting the upgrade.

mlinde
03-06-2003, 03:46 PM
It may be unlikely, but what is your version of Quicktime? 10.2.x ships with QT 6, and that may have better PNG support than QT 5 (or 4). Rather than drop the $129 on 10.2.x now (with 10.3 likely due in July, just 4 months away), see if you can get away with a Quicktime upgrade.

Be warned, if you own the Pro license for QT 3/4/5 it does not work with QT 6, you need to purchase a new license ($29) for 6.

Also, 10.1.x still had problems with disk permissions, but the utility to check/repair was not built into OS X until 10.2 Check Apple support/downloads (or early posts on this board) for the 10.1.x permissions repair utility. Probably a shot in the dark, though...

dennis
03-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Mlinde wrote,

If I were to suggest anything, I'd render to (in order) PCT-32, TIFF-32, or PSD (via Image Processing.

It's voodoo I tell ya,

I've went through various permutations of what formats I thought were "safe" and most of them at one time or another sneak up to bite me in the a...

I also thought PCT-32 was a good one until I setup screamernet for the first time and textures started popping on and off randomly.

I used .PSD until I tired of how it comes into Photoshop - what the ? I've never seen a layer hierarchy like the one it creates - and why have the layers default to screen? your not going to be using that for all layers so why not make them default to normal mode so that you can at least see them? The fact that you can't bring a layered sequence of them into After Effects as a comp is the final deal breaker - plus the files are huge - 10MBs plus for 720x540 frames!

I'm not disagreeing with anybody here, I just think the file import - export in LW is horribly flaky, and just when you think you've settled on a "safe" format, it screws you.

In trying to find file formats that work and have relatively small file sizes, I've recently been using jpeg's (the quicktime version) and iff (grayscale) for textures; I typically use D-Storm's buffer export plugin and 32-TGAs for rendering. I would love to use RPF or RLA for rendering but that seems to be a total mess right now and I don't have the time to experiment.

I hope todays 7.5b update fixes some of this - anybody care to get their feet wet?

Good Luck