PDA

View Full Version : pen tool limitation

cfrog
11-07-2003, 02:25 AM
Does any one know the total number of point can be created in a single polygon using pen tool(in a single operation)?
I've tried to trace the outline of a leaf using pen tool and it alway stops at every 100th point in a single polygon that I created. I had to trace different part of the leaf and then merged all polygons in order to get the polygon shape I needed. A quick browse through the user manual, I found it actually stated LW can create a single polygon consists of 1,023 points. Though it did not specify wether it was created all in one single operation using any tool or using merge funtion to achieve that.

System spec:
LW7.5C
G4 733Mhz, 1.25GB RAM
GeForce 2MX stock card
OS10.2.5

Cheers

cfrog

Beamtracer
11-07-2003, 02:55 AM
1023 is an interesting number. In computer terms, some say a kilobit is 1024 bits, while others say it is 1000 bits.

Possibly, this limit was calculated theoretically, but none of the LW designers had actually tried it out. Maybe it does max out at 1000 points per polygon instead of 1023 (which is 1024 if you include zero).

Hey, cfrog... a single flat polygon may not be the best way to trace around a leaf. Getting to know 'subpatch' modeling will let you make a much better leaf that can be bent or contoured, and use very few points and polygons.

cfrog
11-07-2003, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the info. I was doing a bit of illustration and need a couple of leaf models for it. Since I have scanned in the leaf and decided to model the leaf by tracing its outline. Strange though, every time I create the polygon using pen tool. It stops me from creating more points in a single n-side polygon after placing the 100th points. I gave it a few more test and noticed the pen tool can only create n-sided polygon for up to 100 points in total.

Not very good at math. Since I am new to Lightwave. Just curious about this issue and wondering if it is some kind of limitation of the tool (pen tool in particular) or just my Mac is simply playing up.

In the end, I resorted to use subpatch modelling like you suggested and use alpha channel to knock out the unwanted image in my leaf image map. Its true the subpatch is more flexible for twisting the leaf to the shape I need. I'll post it in WIP forum when I get a bit further than what it is.

Thanks again.

cfrog.