PDA

View Full Version : SoftImage users left in the cold by AD - once again

Rayek
03-24-2013, 05:16 PM

Seems to be one of the only "major new features" in SI 2014. Kinda sad to see SI slowly sink in the mud.

3D Kiwi
03-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Yes but you forget. Even if AD quit softimage we will still be able to use the veiw cube for years to come. Do you lightwavers have a view cube??? No i didnt think so.
All you have are new usable features. Ha the joke is on your. Rock on the view cube.

PS whats the upgrade cost of lightwave now ??? :-)

VonBon
03-24-2013, 06:32 PM
This was ADs plan from the time of purchase.

There is no reason for a company to continue to develop
3 different software products that do the same thing.

I'll say it again, Maya and XSI are dead,
they just dont know it yet. ;D

I wonder if AD would even accept an offer for either
Maya or XSI?

Rayek
03-24-2013, 06:43 PM
This was ADs plan from the time of purchase.

There is no reason for a company to continue to develop
3 different software products that do the same thing.

I'll say it again, Maya and XSI are dead,
they just dont know it yet. ;D

I wonder if AD would even accept an offer for either
Maya or XSI?

Never - XSI (and foremost the original dev team involved) was too much of a competing product, and allowing it to waste away makes sure that at least a portion will migrate to either Max or Maya, and it will not rise from the dead to make AD's business life miserable.

Though at this point AD is receiving a lot of flak from their loyal user base.

ShadowMystic
03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to create one application at the core yet have the 3 UIs of the current applications?

nickdigital
03-24-2013, 07:32 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to create one application at the core yet have the 3 UIs of the current applications?

Not without a major rewrite. It'd be easier and cheaper to tell people to assimilate.

probiner
03-24-2013, 07:44 PM
someone that uses SI pipeline told me the prospect on the path will about the 3 headed beast is: Maya-dedicated to Animation and integration of ICE, Max-no more animation features, stick with Architecture stuff, SI-just keeping competition out of the market.

jasonwestmas
03-24-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't agree, I think AD wants people to use two or more of their packages. These programs are quite different in their capabilities. That's why they worked hard to make them bridged together.

This is not to say a consolidation package is not in the works. I'm sure there is and it will use the best parts of the workflows from all three apps.

VonBon
03-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Yep, They gone call it "Max"

safetyman
03-25-2013, 07:29 AM
If I had a vote, I'd say make Maya the main package (animation, movie-centric stuff), since it's what the big fx houses use and gear Max more for the game community (which it mostly is anyway). Then take SI apart and divide it's wonderful features between the two. I think that if Maya went away, the outcry would be unbearable for AD and you'd see rats abandoning the ship like a scene from Ratatouille.

Surrealist.
03-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Sorry but I had a good laugh. Interesting thing to say on a LightWave forum

If Softimage is sinking in the mud, what does that make LightWave? A fossil? :D

But in general I think people are far more optimistic and pessimistic about software development than warranted by reality. Like it is some kind of magic. It does not happen overnight. It takes a looong time to develop something. And to come up with some kind of hybrid, take this from that and and the best of all three.... no... that would be a nightmare to accomplish.

All they have done is bought into a market share. They did not buy things to undevelop them or merge everyrhing. This is not a Pinky and the Brain cartoon. This is real life.

Over time hopefully we will see more interoperability between the three apps - and markets - which is pretty smart. Maybe they bit off more than they can chew. But over time I hope we will see better integration. That's what I'd like to see and that is realistic I think.

jasonwestmas
03-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Sorry but I had a good laugh. Interesting thing to say on a LightWave forum

If Softimage is sinking in the mud, what does that make LightWave? A fossil? :D

But in general I think people are far more optimistic and pessimistic about software development than warranted by reality. Like it is some kind of magic. It does not happen overnight. It takes a looong time to develop something. And to come up with some kind of hybrid, take this from that and and the best of all three.... no... that would be a nightmare to accomplish.

All they have done is bought into a market share. They did not buy things to undevelop them or merge everyrhing. This is not a Pinky and the Brain cartoon. This is real life.

Over time hopefully we will see more interoperability between the three apps - and markets - which is pretty smart. Maybe they bit off more than they can chew. But over time I hope we will see better integration. That's what I'd like to see and that is realistic I think.

You're right about that, it is more realistic to just bridge the gaps between the applications like they've been doing for the past few years. These three progs. in question are quite different from each other in their application. That's why they are called applications right? :) I know they were working on something written from scratch though but I have not seen any prototypes.

Surrealist.
03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
True that. Also a factor as far as I understand it - though admitting I have not researched it as such- these are still the original teams of programers from when the acquisitions occurred. Recently they shifted the XSI team to Maya, but I am not aware of any major consolidation. In other words each team still maintains its original group dynamics and the software all have their own approaches as before. Not like they were all assimilated into the Borg and started instantly thinking and acting alike. And I am sure this has been the hardest hurdle for AD. Just to get these people to agree on certain protocols of interchange while also maintaining individuality. And completely aside from dealing with them as individuals, there is the technical side of pulling this off which has got to be a monumental task. And then to also continue to upgrade features, plus, when those features are added to see to it that they can be exchanged on the pipeline. And I'd say we are still in the very beginning stages of that. It is far from ideal. Not perfect and not bug free by any means. One example of what hope we will see more of is the recent graph editor update where there was a tool with unified controls across all 3 platforms. Then of course HIK between Maya and Mobu which is pretty close. I would love to see an HIK implementation in XSI as well so that you could interchange HIK rigs and animation with XSI.