PDA

View Full Version : Backups, storage, archives....what do you use???

dblincoe
03-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Hey Lightwavers! I was wondering what you guys use for archiving and backing-up your animation projects. I'm generating a lot of files (1tb) on a few projects and was wondering what you guys are using. In the past dvd's sufficed, but as resolution increases and the amount of files generated (I know render in layers) dvd's are not that practical. I know dvd's and cd's have a shelf life too, and that scares me.
Harddrives are cheap but it is the best/ most reliable method?

Spinland
03-24-2013, 04:54 PM
I use the Crashplan unlimited home subscription.

xchrisx
03-24-2013, 05:02 PM
I have the Crashplan unlimited home as well

- - - Updated - - -

I have the Crashplan unlimited home as well

digitaldoc
03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Looks like a better solution than some of the cloud storage plans I have seen.

Thanks.

metahumanity
03-24-2013, 05:47 PM
2 backups for my assets- pen and Google Drive. GD works really well, I have to say.

inkpen3d
03-25-2013, 02:06 AM
Project files (i.e. LW files, rendered frames, video editor/compositor files and generated videos) are stored on a 2TB RAID 1 network drive, which is backed up to another 1TB network drive every day (full weekly backup + daily differential backups retaining 3 full backups at any given time). At the end of a project I now zip up all the new project files (except the rendered frames) and upload to a remote server - just in case we have a major disaster that results in loss of all local network drives (e.g. due to fire, flood or burglary). Our slow internet upload speed is a pain, which is why I don't do daily/weekly backups to the remote server and only at the end of a project. Not ideal, but a reasonable trade-off between storage security and workability.