PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Dynamics - Deform and Collide together?

egearbox
03-24-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm trying to get a box to bounce across the floor and deform as it goes. Unfortunately, it seems to be either/or: If I set the box type to "Rigid" I get the nice bouncing and rolling, but no deformation. If I set it to "Deforming" the box drops straight down and deforms, but ignores the starting velocity it should have to get it to bounce and roll.

I've spent about an hour tweaking and prodding various settings without any luck. Anybody got any advice?

This is with the "Rigid" behavior:

This is with the "Deforming" behavior:

egearbox
03-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Here's a better look at the deforming behavior:

prometheus
03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm trying to get a box to bounce across the floor and deform as it goes. Unfortunately, it seems to be either/or: If I set the box type to "Rigid" I get the nice bouncing and rolling, but no deformation. If I set it to "Deforming" the box drops straight down and deforms, but ignores the starting velocity it should have to get it to bounce and roll.

I've spent about an hour tweaking and prodding various settings without any luck. Anybody got any advice?

This is with the "Rigid" behavior:

This is with the "Deforming" behavior:

how did you create the motion for the rigid body?
Deforming body has no initial velocity,just gravity force straight ahead.
so didnīt you move it in the direction you want at a certain keyframe? that is needed, you could also push it with other bodies or use
new forces perhaps to start the velocity motion of your deforming body.

if you change the angle of cube, it will bounce on impact from the edges and will roll a little more, but just dropping it straight will just fall flat, you need to change angle of object or
add som force to it.

hereīs a sample scene, only changed friction to 100 to get a better grip and get it to roll a bit more, i just moved the object forward and keyframed it.

Michael

egearbox
03-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Thank you for your help! Using the settings in your sample scene, I was able to figure out the problem - the "Damping Coefficient" setting I had apparently changed from 0% to 10%. Even the 10% setting makes the object behave like it was dropped into a bucket of heavy syrup! Good Grief.

Anyway, I wanted to REALLY express my appreciation :thumbsup: :D :)

Now, back to Bullet....