PDA

View Full Version : Collision object, Stick mode

raw-m
03-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Basically what I'm doing is throwing hundreds of darts at a wall. I've set up my emitter, throwing out particles at a Collision object set to Plane. I'm then using Instancer to add the darts to the emitter - it's working and looking really good!

I have a couple of small issues with the collision object . Regardless of how high the Collision object settings are the particles always have a little bounce or slip when hitting the Collision obj. I would like them to come to an immediate halt, if possible.

Also, I was trying to take the align to path rotation of the particles with the instances. As soon as a particle hits the Collision object the rotation seems to jump by 90 degs on the pitch - possibly due to the above slippage issue(?). Anyway to stop this?

Help appreciated!

prometheus
03-24-2013, 02:44 PM
are you using bounce mode for the collision object?
I would suggest use stick mode.

Michael

prometheus
03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
are you using bounce mode for the collision object?
I would suggest use stick mode.

Double post ..forum cackup time out as usual:(

If you have particles coming in at a non straight angle towards the object like a wall, you might want to set the collision object fix power to 100%
for instances and rotation, you might need to check rotation and set mode to target item, but that can give akward end position of arrows, so try uniform mode and
set heading,pitch and bank angle manually to match the path they arrived from.

Michael

prometheus
03-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Note...it seems that particles are behaving almost as they should by just playing it in the time line, but
I as you noticed a glitch slide when hitting the wall, now as in most cases with dynamicFX....calculate, that will probably fix the issue and the arrows should stick to the object without gliding to the side.

Michael

raw-m
03-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Hi Prometheus, big thanks! Sorry for the late reply, busy day!

Didn't occur to me to hit the Calculate button. As you said, I found it works if you shoot down one vector, but adding and explosion into the mix, for example, gives me that unwanted behaviour.

Just because I can, I'm also going to play around with Bullet and see if the new Repel function can launch my darts into a wall. Might be interesting!