PDA

View Full Version : FReq: Polygon & point "Locking"/ making points&polys >resistant< to change&mistakes.

jeric_synergy
03-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Okay longtime subscribers, how about this one?:

A facility to LOCK points and polygons from certain operations.

For Points, the one that leaps out at me is a lock to prevent Point Merging. Many's the time I've accidentally Merged a point that shouldn't have been merged. When trying to maintain a hard crease in an otherwise smoothed surface, coincident points are an easy way to accomplish that but at the risk of losing them whenever a Merge is executed. A "No Merge" flag on a point would prevent that.

For Polys, a lock to prevent being changed from the Subd/Poly/CC state to any other state. IOW "You! Stay a poly no matter what that guy says! You! Yer a subd, no backtalk!"

Obviously, these locks would only make points&polys resistant to change: the user could always turn them off. Just like the locks on a PShop Layer: they just prevent you from hurting yourself inadvertantly.

For individuals maybe this ain't such a big thing, but for shop where multiple modelers are working I'd think it would be very nice.

e.g. of possible flags for locking entities:

POINT FLAGS: no_move, no_merge

POLY FLAGS: no_move, no_merge, no_unify, no_split, stay_subd, stay_cc, stay_poly

EDGE FLAGS: no_move, no_chamfer, no_bevel

jeric_synergy
03-26-2013, 01:07 PM
I have some ideas that would make this possible NOW: use a dedicated w.map, for instance, to use as a "no_merge" flag.

'All' this would take would be a script that checked the w.map value of points before executing the Merge function. This script/p.i. would replace the usual MERGE command in the UI.

For thrill seekers, the old merge could still be there, but hidden. The script could be called "NuMerge" or "SafeMerge".

probiner
03-26-2013, 01:29 PM
That is what the morph does in the video I posted on the other thread :D

In my opinion a weight map is something that should be accessible everywhere there are deformations (Modeling, deforms, assignment of attributes), right now it's like not being able to use a mask in photoshop to control some effect.

Cheers

jeric_synergy
03-26-2013, 01:56 PM
That is what the morph does in the video I posted on the other thread :D
Crap, that's right! I forgot about that side effect of morphs!

Probiner, which thread are you referring to?

That would make a good tutorial on its own: "Merge-proofing your points".

probiner
03-26-2013, 03:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eIiQboLUA4&t=3m30s

jeric_synergy
03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Excellent tip. I credited you on my blog:
http://3dproj.com/2013/03/27/advanced-modeling-tips-non-merging-points-closing-open-curves/

Now, whattaya got for preventing polys from becoming subpatches? ;)

probiner
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Having subdivision applied as a modifier and a map/selection defining which polygons to affect them ;)
It's quite a annoying while modeling to not have a global Subdivision switch: When you turn it off, you just turning it on on "Face" polygons, and if you have it all off, you're applying it to all polygons.

jrandom
04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Having subdivision applied as a modifier and a map/selection defining which polygons to affect them ;)
It's quite a annoying while modeling to not have a global Subdivision switch: When you turn it off, you just turning it on on "Face" polygons, and if you have it all off, you're applying it to all polygons.

There is a global subdivision switch! I mapped it to my tab key in replacement of the standard one. For the life of me I can't remember what it's called... G-Toggle? G-Patch? Argh. Can't remember. It was mentioned in a subD tutorial video set I bought recently.

jeric_synergy
04-02-2013, 01:51 PM
IIRC, "G-Toggle". Terrible name. Was "global" too much??? sheesh. And yeah, I did the same thing, but also remapped the usual Subpatch to "ALT+S" in those cases where I needed it.

BUT, I'd still like a "polygon lock" to prevent those polys that I NEVER want to subpatch from subpatching.

probiner
04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
There is a global subdivision switch! I mapped it to my tab key in replacement of the standard one. For the life of me I can't remember what it's called... G-Toggle? G-Patch? Argh. Can't remember. It was mentioned in a subD tutorial video set I bought recently.

G-Toggle feature is that ignores your current selection.

Actually there are global switches, it's just they are selection dependent, not exactly a property of the polygon you can choose to have active or not temporarily.

xchrisx
04-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Well, its not really a switch, but you could always use subpatch weight + subpatch. If everything is always subpatched, set its value to 100% in Subpatch Weight under the weight maps pulldown and it will resemble faces, while all other polygons with a weight of 0% will stay smooth.

jrandom
04-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Edge weights break if you ever alter the geometry, making them kinda useless. :(

xchrisx
04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
I believe subpatch weights are fine as they are different than edge weights. I did some simple tests and it didnt break while I was doing simple modeling tasks (knife, bevel, etc). I also dont know if by breaking you are referring to catmull clark which I never use as it is way too slow.

jrandom
04-02-2013, 04:57 PM
I only use Catmull-Clark, hence my confusion. Carry on.