PDA

View Full Version : Volume light not rendering in front of background in animation output

jrandom
03-23-2013, 01:35 PM
I ran off an animation test and my volume light isn't working correctly. During rendering it looked fine:

But the generated h264 .mov file looks like this:

Is there a way to get volume lights to show up correctly in front of the background when rendering directly to a quicktime file?

Sensei
03-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Looks to me like alpha channel issue - on second image you have volume light only where alpha > 0 (where is table).

Quick solution- put black geometry behind everything.

jrandom
03-23-2013, 02:56 PM
I haven't tried this yet, but am I going to hit the same issue when I'm making the final render out to stills?

jeric_synergy
03-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Only if you render w/an alpha.

Various effects (glow, lens flares) do not generate alphas. In AE, you can get the proper effect by compositing with "Preluminescent Alpha" blending mode on for that layer.

There's a technical reason why this is so, but someone else will have to explain it. It's a major 'gotcha!' for LW users, imo, but by no means a bug. Needs more attention drawn to it in the dox, imho.

jrandom
03-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Good to know. I'll just render to stills instead of directly to animation files. :)

Scifisteve
04-22-2014, 02:08 PM
So Im confused. I've been with you guys since rel. 6.5. I still have 9.0 on my older machines. From 6.5 to 9 volumetric showed up on .MOV and in AE without any modifications. Comes release 10 and a new method is needed to have volumetric lighting show correctly.
Because I have gigabytes of old movies that work on rel. 9 and the ones I have tested are not working on rel. 10.
Do this continue under rel. 11?

JoePoe
04-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Doesn't the Flare2Alpha image filter include the volumetric light info... even on an empty background? ... (I do like Sensei's quick fix though).
Glow, lens flares etc too?

Whether it fixes the .mov output or not.... dunno. Rendering directly to video seems to be sketchy regardless, but on my one frame movie (on mac) is was fine.... except for the other regular mac render-to-video foibles of course.
..... best to render to frames anyway. With F2A as well if you want.

jeric_synergy
04-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah: render to frames for safety, recompile to .MOV using LW itself if you must.

There's not much of a downside, and a HELL of an upside. In a good way.

Scifisteve
04-23-2014, 12:42 PM
To continue, the problem is with the interface between LW 10 and QT under Mavericks.
How did I arrive at this conclusion?
I have an old G5 desktop with LW 9. I also have an IMAC with 10.9.2 (Maverick).
I run LW 9 on the G5 with a scene which has an assortment has of BackDrop, LensFlares and Volumetric’s. No Problem!

I move LW 9 to Mavericks. Run the same scene and this time problems.
Conclusion is the interface between LW and QT (under Mavericks) has changed. QT has made an “Enhancement/Correction/Change” that LW no longer aligns with.

Right, Wrong or What?

JoePoe
04-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Right. There is a problem.
But I don't think it's just Mavericks. PCs have LW>QT issues too. Technically I can't tell you why they don't play nice anymore (something about QT not supplying 64bit plug or something..... someone will tell us I'm sure :D).
As far as Macs go.... I think It's more than that. I'm in 9.6.1 no where near Mavericks and when I run in 32bit mode I get no color in the output (flares volum etc is fine). So they are just not communicating well regardless of 32/64 bit.

In the first line in your post above (#9) you say the problem is between LW 10 and Mavericks, but then you say you put LW 9 on Mav and that failed. Which is slightly more interesting to me. So just checking... was it 10 or 9 that failed on Mavericks, 32 or 64 (if 9, what version? Same version?)?
As far as I'm aware LW/QT support failed on Mac in general somewhere between LW 8 to 9, or, 9 to 9.3, or, 9.3 to 9.6.1 (can't remember exactly :stumped:). Like you said 9.x(?) was fine for you (Mav not withstanding for the moment) and like I said, I'm in 9.6.1 and it's screwed..... So that seems to narrow it down. If you have an old LW 8 hanging around, try that on Mavericks (run it in 32bit. Is that even possible in Mav?).
It would be interesting to know what happens..... but it don't change nuthin' ;D!

Frames is still the safer route anyway.... but I do miss being able to crank out a quick test animation internally.

EDIT: Well that was easy. A quick test in 9.6 worked fine. Color came back. So issues started between 9.6 and 9.6.1 for me, no switch in OS :grumpy:

Scifisteve
04-24-2014, 10:45 AM
"Frames is still the safer route anyway.... but I do miss being able to crank out a quick test animation internally."

I know KEYFrames, what is Frames?

JoePoe
04-24-2014, 10:58 AM
"Frames is still the safer route anyway.... but I do miss being able to crank out a quick test animation internally."

I know KEYFrames, what is Frames?

Meaning, rendering out to frame sequences than directly to an animation file. :)

jeric_synergy
04-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Because, if a QT/MOV creation fails, yer screw2ed, whereas if a frame render crashes, you only "lose" the frames not yet rendered. Nothing like coming back on Monday and finding you've got zero. Nada. Goose-egg. Zip. Zilch. Bupkis.