PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave on a backup computer

Andy Webb
03-23-2013, 05:19 AM
I only have one license for LW and I only run it on my main machine, but after having a lot of work lately it occurred to me that if the machine died in the middle of all this work, what would I do.

So I've built a backup machine.

Now my question is, if my main machine went down how do I go about installing LW on the second computer?

You used to just swap the dongle over but with the new licensing system you can no longer do that.

In an ideal world I would like to have LW installed on the backup machine, and just activate it if disaster strikes.

Cheers

Markc
03-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Can you install LW onto your 'backup' machine with the dongle connected?
The dongle licensing system still works (I still use the dongle for my installation).

Actually, maybe it becomes redundant once you use the new system (otherwise you could have 2 copies running)?

Andy Webb
03-23-2013, 06:16 AM
Can you install LW onto your 'backup' machine with the dongle connected?
The dongle licensing system still works (I still use the dongle for my installation).

Actually, maybe it becomes redundant once you use the new system (otherwise you could have 2 copies running)?

That's my issue, how can you swap machines if you need to?

Mr_Dope
03-23-2013, 07:49 AM
The new licensing system is not hardware bound, so it should be no problem. Just install LW on the other system and throw your license file in the appropriate folder.

Are your main machine and backup system connected in a network? Because LW is looking if there are other copies of LW already running.

Andy Webb
03-23-2013, 08:01 AM
The new licensing system is not hardware bound, so it should be no problem. Just install LW on the other system and throw your license file in the appropriate folder.

Are your main machine and backup system connected in a network? Because LW is looking if there are other copies of LW already running.

I see, so as long as I don't attempt to run LW on the 2 computers I should be fine.

The machines are connected, I thought I would use the second machine to help out on rendering, otherwise it will just be sitting there.

Cheers

stobbs
03-23-2013, 08:26 AM
You can still use the dongle with 11.x

Cryonic
03-23-2013, 03:56 PM
And you have unlimited licenses for render nodes, so having LW installed on the second machine and using it to help with renders is fine. Just don't launch the user interfaces on both machines at the same time.