PDA

View Full Version : How to inset group of polygons and maintain the initial shape?

gpktm
03-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Hello everyone

I have a region of polygons which I would like to inset, I'm using the Multishift tool but after a certain value of inset the polygons, the shape of the surface that the edges of the polygons moving parallel on to it, is not maintained any more. This happens because the inset follows the direction only of the outer polygons, as long as the inset passes over the first outer polygons, it keeps the same direction no matter if the inner polygons have different planar direction.112885112884112883112886

So is there any way to achieve this? Either with some LW tool or maybe some plugin?

I'm using LW 10.1 x64

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!

Snosrap
03-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I don't think you re going to avoid that. If you select "regular scale" as an inset option all polys will scale instead of the outside loop. It would be nice to know what your final shape is desired to be able to help you more. :)

Amurrell
03-23-2013, 04:28 AM
Have you tried the other shift type options? I know you have it on point normal mode now, but do the others make a difference, such as contour and so on?

Lewis
03-23-2013, 04:48 AM
Sadly we don't have Offset tool so this is going to be tricky, especialy 'coz bevel, multishift, smooth shift and few other tools don't have limit for overlaping :(.

gpktm
03-23-2013, 05:20 AM
Yeah, I don't think you re going to avoid that. If you select "regular scale" as an inset option all polys will scale instead of the outside loop. It would be nice to know what your final shape is desired to be able to help you more. :)
I used the regular scale but is doing exactly what is says, is like I'm using the scale tool, so it scales the polygons based on the center of the geometric selection.

Have you tried the other shift type options? I know you have it on point normal mode now, but do the others make a difference, such as contour and so on?
I tried all of them Amurrell, non helped. They do more or less the same thing.

Sadly we don't have Offset tool so this is going to be tricky, especialy 'coz bevel, multishift, smooth shift and few other tools don't have limit for overlaping :(.
hmmm... I think I have to go with the manual solution then hey?. Which is a bugger because I'm using this kind of method pretty often. Thanks mate. I hope we will see some tool doing this kind of job in the future.

Lewis
03-23-2013, 05:38 AM
You could COPY polys you want to shrink, put them in new layer, scale them and extrude to intersect with this pipe geometry you have and then use solid drill/stencil and then weld points. If you need this very often it's gonna be weird workflow (more workaround :)) but at least ti'll be "precise".

ConjureBunny
03-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi gpktm,

Could you manually create something resembling the end result you want, and post a picture of that, too? I can't wrap my head around the problem you're having.

(I do this pretty often, but I have a few different techniques for it, and i'm not sure which one would help you here)

-Chilton

probiner
03-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Well, you're passing an intersection so I guess the angle wouldn't be my first concern, but the cleanup in the corners.

What's your end result goal?
Cheers

JoePoe
03-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Try: Inset: Regular Scale, Shift: Average point Norm

I had this issue awhile back. All of a sudden Multishift seemed.... "weird" to me.
Played with it for awhile and found the above combination to work best in extreme situations. Otherwise I'm back to the usual "countour" settings.

My post from a little while ago. For some reason some of the image links are broken, but the initial image of the problem is still there (same as yours) as well as the final "solution" image.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133130-MultiShift-has-gone-WONKY!-!&highlight=multishift+broken