PDA

View Full Version : Does Lightwave have Annual Licensing ?

RorrKonn
03-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Does Lightwave have Annual Licensing ?

You pay LW $ xxx.xx amount every year.
When upgrades come out ya just get the upgrade .

Thanks

ShadowMystic
03-22-2013, 04:05 PM
AFAIK. Newtek does NOT have a subscription licensing plan. Good riddance too.

nickdigital
03-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Yeah, what ShadowMystic said. There is no subscription/maintenance fee.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134352-Professional-Maya-user-why-Lightwave-and-not-Modo&p=1309410&viewfull=1#post1309410

UnCommonGrafx
03-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Chuck et al,
Come close this thread and make a sticky .

Of course, only after the obligatory explanation of your upgrade policy and pricing; make it easy for folks to find this kind of info, quick.

djlithium
03-22-2013, 04:30 PM
The LW community fought hard to have subscriptions for LW killed dead and dead with no chance of zombification.

BokadCastle
03-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Does Lightwave have Annual Licensing ?

You pay LW $ xxx.xx amount every year.
When upgrades come out ya just get the upgrade .

Thanks

Ssshhhh!

Dexter2999
03-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Historically, Lightwave has had no annual subscriptions and no penalty for skipping paid upgrades. Point upgrades have been free and in my opinion leaning towards VERY generous.

There was talk briefly a couple of years ago, prior to Rob Powers and LW 10, of this possibly changing in the future. But that has yet to be seen.

cresshead
03-22-2013, 05:28 PM
if newtek ever go subscription based they can kiss all this ********* goodbye (aliens reference)

the whole C.O.R.E thing for me is now like a horrible nightmare best forgotten.

lwanmtr
03-22-2013, 05:41 PM
The upgrade system has been one of the reason I've stuck with LW (aside from it doing everthing I need quite well)....I've missed some updates and not having to pay for all the missed ones has made it possible to keep going. Though I admit to preferring the $395 upgrade cost, I didnt mind at all paying the $695 for 11.5...hehe).

hrgiger
03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Well if it was an option, I wouldn't mind a monthly option like Adobe offers for their software. For $50 a month, I get all of adobe's software to use. Its an annual subscription and it works for me. I already have the most current LightWave but for someone who doesn't have $1500 to drop on LightWave, it might be a good option for them to pay a small monthly fee tied into a yearly subscription for the use of the software.

lwanmtr
03-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Yeah, for someone who doesnt have it, it may be a good idea....but then LW's license routine would have to be rewritten and maybe even require an internet connection to work...I personally use it offline sometimes, so that wouldnt be good.

Dexter2999
03-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Well if it was an option, I wouldn't mind a monthly option like Adobe offers for their software. For $50 a month, I get all of adobe's software to use. Its an annual subscription and it works for me. I already have the most current LightWave but for someone who doesn't have $1500 to drop on LightWave, it might be a good option for them to pay a small monthly fee tied into a yearly subscription for the use of the software.

It's more money in the long run but makes it affordable for the end users who don't look at the long run. So it seems "win-win" on the surface and all the big boys are doing these monthly fee systems, Adobe, MS, RealFlow. Might be something Newtek want to investigate as an option. Although personally I don't like the system I don't represent the market as a whole.

JonW
03-22-2013, 06:23 PM
I use LW on computers not connected to the internet & it's going to stay that way. Some software I couldn't use because of this issue so I had to find other solutions.

One can put aside $50 a month for when LW upgrades come around (it's called planning ahead). If you have difficulty saving, open a separate account for an automatic deposit of $50 a month or more if there is other things!

Phil
03-22-2013, 08:59 PM
*shrug* I have no aversion to a subscription plan, done properly. There are a number of advantages in terms of purchasing in corporation environments (no raising a PO, fighting budgets, etc.). A predictable annual outlay on a given date is helpful there.

There's also the question of whether that would increase revenue reliability. I imagine it's quite unhelpful seeing a spike in the revenue coincident with the release of a new version and then a rapid tail-off. That makes budgeting tricky for the company developing the product. Not so much a revenue stream as a flood and then a dribble. Revenue reliability allows resource and investment to be planned more carefully and could permit increased investment (hiring developers, improving infrastructure) that the current system doesn't.

I'm not sure that internet connection is mandatory, though. I have various software on maintenance that doesn't require internet connectivity. The licenses are still pinned to MAC addresses (Vue, IKinema, etc.) and 'activation' can be done on an entirely different machine and through a web page or e-mail. The end result is a license file dropped into place on the machine with the software. Just like LW's license key.

Maintenance doesn't mean your existing software expires, just controls access to newer versions. LW's licensing system already has version information built-in. A LW 6 license won't enable use of LW 5.6; 7.x won't enable 6.x; 8.x won't enable 7.x; 9.x won't enable 8.x....

The downside is the Adobe/Autodesk situation where users often don't feel that they got what they paid for. That tends to make people leery. There's no way to avoid that in the subscription model without trust between the users and the company. That's why I won't be renewing Vue maintenance. It's not a question of anaemic upgrades - they opted to break the trust I had in them with a bait and switch of licensing model *after* they took the money for the renewal for 11.x. I won't reward that behavior or their subsequent lack of concern.

geo_n
03-22-2013, 09:59 PM
The core discount looks like a subscription model. If you miss out on one upgrade you're not getting the 5 versions down the line upgrade discount.

Amurrell
03-23-2013, 04:25 AM
I think that's more of a "We're sorry, let us make it up to you" sort of thing. May not have been directly like that, but it felt like it after the CORE thing.

Lewis
03-23-2013, 04:46 AM
No subscription and no interent connection needed for Lw to work and i'l like it to stay that way.

shrox
03-23-2013, 04:47 PM
No!