PDA

View Full Version : LWCAD man I'm impressed!

Tony3d
03-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Many of these are tools Lightwave should have had years ago! I'm modeling stuff now that I would have never attempted before, and I've only had it for one day. It really make Lightwave a very decent cad system. Trim is excellent, as is the snapping system. All the mass mode tools are out standing as well. I can't put it down. I just bought 4.5 which is the first version I ever owned. Will I get any free upgrades? Anybody out there wondering if they should take the plunge. DO IT!

Snosrap
03-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Got that right. It's an amazing addition to LW!

COBRASoft
03-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Tony, can I say 'I told you!'? :)

Nicolas Jordan
03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Yep LWCAD is awesome! It's really the only thing Lightwave has that keeps me from modeling exclusively in Modo.

Tony3d
03-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Tony, can I say 'I told you!'? :)

Yes you did, and you were absolutely right! I looked at it for years, and just couldn't understand all hype. Now I understand.

hrgiger
03-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Sometimes, just sometimes, the genius of LWCAD's tools make me giggle. And I seldom giggle.

colkai
03-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Sometimes, just sometimes, the genius of LWCAD's tools make me giggle. And I seldom giggle.

Quoted because, yeah, it does make you smile sometimes at how easy it makes things. You jsut cannot say it often enough, Viktor rocks! :D :D

03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Agreed.
On all parts. Especially the, "I told you so!" part.

Powerful tools masquerading as simple tools.

jrandom
03-22-2013, 04:21 PM
One of us! One of us!

ShadowMystic
03-22-2013, 04:27 PM
I've getting LWCAD. SafeHarbor or buy direct? What should I do?

UnCommonGrafx
03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
SafeHarbor; support the lil guy.

prometheus
03-23-2013, 05:58 AM
For future LW-cad

A sketchup like pen tool and measurement tools, and push and pull tool..that and parametric modeling (history) and it will take it to a whole new level.
Nothing beats the sketch pen tool in sketchup for fast sketchup of sections and on objects along with push and pull tool, and imagine having a building wall full of windows, go to your
history stack and select window, and change scale or window types in one go.

That is the future..

Michael

COBRASoft
03-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Knowing Viktor, he'll have something amazing in his sleeve for the next version.

CaptainMarlowe
03-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Well, when you just see what you get for free between a X.00 and a X.5 version... I haven't installed 4.5 yet, because I'm in the middle of a project where I use intensively the libraries of 4.2 and I don't want to mess anything, but instances will more than certainly come in handy in the very near future.
So yes, Viktor must have something completely unbelievable in his sleeve for V5.0...

Tony3d
03-23-2013, 01:51 PM
So if I just bought 4.5, and have never owned another version, I'll get 5.0 for free?

hrgiger
03-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Knowing Viktor, he'll have something amazing in his sleeve for the next version.

He does.

CaptainMarlowe
03-23-2013, 02:26 PM
So if I just bought 4.5, and have never owned another version, I'll get 5.0 for free?

Nice try. The point upgrades are free, but not full releases.

ShadowMystic
03-23-2013, 06:15 PM
I just got LWCAD but some tools already seems to show apparent stability issues. I am using LW11.5 and I've already had several critical crashes. I might have to delete configs or something but there should be exception catching implemented in something costing $300. However, many of the tools do seem really useful aside from creating many NGons. I'll keep working with it to see what else I find. Also, can't seems that MassRounder only works on polygons but I'm going to keep playing and reading the manual.

chikega
03-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Sounds tempting :)

Philbert
03-24-2013, 12:11 AM
I'm still stuck on 3.62 and having annoying problems with the Snap Panel, every time I switch tools it changes back to certain snap settings. So every time I open a tool I have to clear the Snap Panel and then pick the settings I want. I'm hoping I can afford to upgrade at some point and that will fix the problem.

CaptainMarlowe
03-24-2013, 01:19 AM
I just got LWCAD but some tools already seems to show apparent stability issues. I am using LW11.5 and I've already had several critical crashes. I might have to delete configs or something but there should be exception catching implemented in something costing $300. However, many of the tools do seem really useful aside from creating many NGons. I'll keep working with it to see what else I find. Also, can't seems that MassRounder only works on polygons but I'm going to keep playing and reading the manual.

I would say it does create a lot of N-gons, when you start with it, but with some time, you'll find the workflow to get clean geometries thanks to knife tool and make quad functions. As for instability, I use lwcad a lot (on mac) and I do have some crashes, but most of the time, it's when I want a tool to make something he's not designed for. Anyway, if you encounter crashes, send a bug report with a content scene to Viktor and he'll work on it. I did that a lot of times, especially for quad mapper which is one of the tools I use most.

Snosrap
03-24-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm still stuck on 3.62 and having annoying problems with the Snap Panel, every time I switch tools it changes back to certain snap settings. So every time I open a tool I have to clear the Snap Panel and then pick the settings I want. I'm hoping I can afford to upgrade at some point and that will fix the problem. Yep, I'm having the same issue. I contacted Viktor about it and he said the fix would be to upgrade to v.4. :)

Philbert
03-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks, now I just have to figure out where to get the money for the upgrade.

Waves of light
03-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Adds his name to the list of 'told you so' people.

Look forward to seeing some of your projects.

hrgiger
03-28-2013, 12:00 AM
wrong post, move along, nothing to see here.

Titus
03-28-2013, 12:08 AM
I own 1.5, don't do a lot of CAD really. But this piece of software is amazing. I can't imagine what they offer in 4.0, maybe creates an entire building with one click.

colkai
03-29-2013, 04:22 AM
Titus, if you can afford it, I'd say upgrading to 4.5 is a no-brainer. Regardless of if you do CAD or not, the tools LWCAD adds to Modeller make it worth it, I simply cannot imagine using modeller without it.
It's like using LW4.0 vs LW9.6 (In fact, I'd say the difference is greater as modeller hasn't realyl come a long way for so many years, LWCAD makes it like Modeller 13.5 vs Modelelr 6.0 :) )

Pavlov
03-29-2013, 04:54 AM
LW cad is one of LW's main strenghts, without it modeler would be largely inferior and outdated in comparison to any other modeler.
With LWcad, it's hard to find a better modeler out there, at least for archviz stuff.
Frankly if i was NT i'd buy it - no matter the cost. Do you remember Fprime error ?

Paolo

juanjgon
03-29-2013, 06:44 AM
LW cad is one of LW's main strenghts, without it modeler would be largely inferior and outdated in comparison to any other modeler.
With LWcad, it's hard to find a better modeler out there, at least for archviz stuff.
Frankly if i was NT i'd buy it - no matter the cost. Do you remember Fprime error ?

Paolo

+1 ... LWCAD is the best tool I know for archviz modeling.

-Juanjo

Hail
03-29-2013, 08:59 AM
LWCAD rocks balls!
Perhaps NT should consider buying it and bringing Victor home?

Snosrap
03-29-2013, 09:15 AM
I own 1.5, don't do a lot of CAD really. So many LWCad tools can just replace the normal LW tools and give the user better workflows even if the user never makes any archvis/CAD models.

Philbert
03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Even though I don't have the latest version, I do use LWCad on almost every object I model, even characters and other organic stuff.

Snosrap
03-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Good man!

MSherak
03-29-2013, 10:57 AM

Paolo

Would rather not NT buy it and work on ways to improve handling in Modeler. That way LWCAD stays amazing and will working even better as time goes on. Why break that energy? Worth every penny to Viktor for what he gives us.

Worley decided to leave everything.

colkai
03-31-2013, 03:23 AM
Yep, leave LWCAD under Viktors control, frankly, I doubt they would put anywhere near the effort into it that Viktor does, based on history, integrated plugins tend to die. Relativity, Rounder and such, bought and "killed", long live LWCAD. :D

COBRASoft
03-31-2013, 05:13 AM
It would be better to keep to LW+LWCad bundle for sale :). LW without LWCad is... well... no modeler. LWCad makes such a difference. The knife tool with snapping is one of the simpliest in use, yet it is a very powerfull tool IMO.

djwaterman
03-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Obviously LWCad is a marvel since everyone sings its praises, but I don't have it and find modeler does everything I need one way or another, I wouldn't say Lightwave is no modeler, that's a big statement to make, of course it can only get better.

colkai
04-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I think the big thing is, once you've used LWCAD, you just wonder how you got by without it, it really is as good as everyone says. Granted, I am one of those very biased folks. ;)

Tony3d
04-02-2013, 08:01 AM
I think the big thing is, once you've used LWCAD, you just wonder how you got by without it, it really is as good as everyone says. Granted, I am one of those very biased folks. ;)

Yes, I'll second that even though there are many tools I may never use, the few I do makes it worth the price.

adrian
04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Yes, I'll second that even though there are many tools I may never use, the few I do makes it worth the price.

Hmmm, well I've got version 2.5 (I think)... used it a bit and thought "what's all the fuss about?", just easier to use Modeller. I've not even bothered reinstalling it for ages. Will say that Viktor's customer service is top notch though and I feel a bit guilty about knocking something that so many people find fantastic. I'm guessing I'm missing something! However I just couldn't justify upgrading only to find myself as underwhelmed as before.

Sorry for the negative post, not in my nature to post something like this really. Just wish I could utilize the magic that's thus far eluding me in LWCAD :-)

COBRASoft
04-03-2013, 01:49 PM
adrian: perhaps your snapping settings were wrong or you never plaid with it. BG snap is very helpfull. I would suggest you to install it again and try to use it again.

- - - Updated - - -

adrian: perhaps your snapping settings were wrong or you never plaid with it. BG snap is very helpfull. I would suggest you to install it again and try to use it again.

Philbert
04-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Agreed, The snapping is a big benefit. I also use the Profiler tool a lot and Mass Round can be useful for times when Rounder doesn't want to play nice.

COBRASoft
04-03-2013, 02:53 PM
And the base boolean operations with rectangle, circle, box, ... Quite hndy tools too actually.

JonW
04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
I was a bit the same at first, it takes a bit of time & effort to force yourself to use LWCad (actually when I first bought LW I didn't use it for a few years & thought, why did I waste all that money, & as you know it was a stack more expensive back then). Once you do use LWCad then you start appreciating the tools.

When I upgraded to LWCad3x I bought Larry Vasquez tutorial Robie Home to get going quicker with the new tools, after this I then started using other tools I was avoiding, I know I tend to follow old habits & have to kick my arse to try other things.

eureka
04-04-2013, 04:21 AM
Hi Guys,
So ive owned LW since 9.6 i did have LWCAD as a free add-on....so now that i own LW11.5 do i have to buy LWCAD 4.5 the full product...meaning paying full price for LWCAD 4.5???
cheers

Waves of light
04-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Hi Guys,
So ive owned LW since 9.6 i did have LWCAD as a free add-on....so now that i own LW11.5 do i have to buy LWCAD 4.5 the full product...meaning paying full price for LWCAD 4.5???
cheers

What version of LWCAD do you have registered?

I had the same 9.6 with LWCAD v3 bundle as you, by the sounds of it. I upgraded ages ago from v3 to v4 (for the then upgrade price) and I now get 4.5 for free. So you should be able to upgrade.

Ricky.

hrgiger
04-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Hi Guys,
cheers

It was version 1.5 of LWCAD that shipped with LightWave 9 so you would probably not be eligible for an upgrade to LWCAD 4.5. It says on the WTools site that LWCAD 1.x owners are not eligible for upgrade. So yes, you would probably have to pay full price for version 4.5.

COBRASoft
04-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Just send a mail to W-Tools, Viktor will reply for sure. This doesn't mean he will allow an upgrade price, but asking is free.