PDA

View Full Version : Where is my alpha channel please?

threedee12
03-21-2013, 02:11 PM
This sounds daft. I rendered a spinning logo. Normally it should have an alpha channel which it has when rendering a frame, but in the animation the alpha channel is not rendered. Can you please tell me how I obtain an alpha channel with the animation so the logo can be set against a different background in premier pro? I use LW 11 on an iMac. Thanks.

nickdigital
03-21-2013, 02:12 PM
What did you render out? An image? Did you pick an option like TGA32 or PNG32?

Do you actually have something in the background that would be blocking the alpha? Like a wall?

threedee12
03-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I just render it as a quicktime movie. I could have sworn in the past it rendered the alpha channel as well.

threedee12
03-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Its just the logo in the scene no background, nothing. Do I have to render it as an image sequence rather than a quicktime movie to obtain a transparent background?

sandman300
03-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Usually, I recommend rendering an image sequence (use either PNG or TGA for alpha channel). If you must render out as a quicktime, under the quicktime settings dialogue, set it for millions+. That includes an alpha.

nickdigital
03-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Plus QT is 32 bit only, so you're not rendering with 64bit power. Also if the render fails you have to start over whereas with an image sequence you can pick the render from the last rendered image file.

threedee12
03-21-2013, 04:24 PM
I wish to simply render it as a Quicktime movie as I did in the past with millions of colours+ so I can simply drop it into Premier Pro against the background. Is that no longer possible with LW11?

dwburman
03-21-2013, 04:30 PM
I haven't tried it recently, so I don't know if it's broken or not. That said, even in the past you had to render it using a codec that supported an alpha channel, and there weren't very many that did. If you can, set the codec to Animation or Uncompressed, and as sandman300 said, set the colors to millions of colors+.

threedee12
03-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately in my version, when I select "Save animation", "Type: Quicktime", it doesn't give me any options at all to select in the "Options" Button. I just fired up Lightwave 8 on my retired G5 and I can do it there without any trouble, but it will takes years to render. What am I missing in Lightwave 11?

nickdigital
03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Which version are you using...32 or 64? QT isn't available in 64bit.

threedee12
03-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Ah, I am using 64bit. Can it be switched to 32?

nickdigital
03-21-2013, 05:57 PM
yes, as long as you have 32 bit installed...then you can render out your QT...but then you're sacrificing cpu power...that's why its better to render frames, then compile the frames to QT.

dwburman
03-21-2013, 06:43 PM
On the mac just hit cmd-I on the app icon (get info) and there is a tick box in there to run in 32bit mode. You can make a copy of the app (or shortcut?) and have one for 64 bit and the other as 32 bit.

Like Nick said, you won't have the benefits of running in 64 bit mode (mainly more RAM). I almost always render to frames for the reasons stated above.

On the PC there are separate installers for the two version. On the Mac it's all in one package.

dwburman
03-21-2013, 06:44 PM
On the mac just hit cmd-I on the app icon (get info) and there is a tick box in there to run in 32bit mode. You can make a copy of the app (or shortcut?) and have one for 64 bit and the other as 32 bit.

Like Nick said, you won't have the benefits of running in 64 bit mode (mainly more RAM). I almost always render to frames for the reasons stated above.

On the PC there are separate installers for the two version. On the Mac it's all in one package.

threedee12
03-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks very much for your help. I rendered the images and imported them into Premier Pro.

Dexter2999
03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
MMMmmmm...not a Premier Pro user but in my experience there is an option when you go to import media. Look for a checkbox load sequential files as clip, or similar. If it isn't under the import prompt directly check all of the general preferences.

dwburman
03-21-2013, 09:08 PM
The Adobe Media Encoder can also assemble a frame sequence into a .mov. There is a check box in the file requester to tell AME that your image is a sequence and not just a single file. ... at least there is in CS5.5 on Windows.

Dexter2999
03-21-2013, 10:08 PM
http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/importing-still-images.html#import_numbered_still_image_sequences_ as_video_clips

dsol
03-22-2013, 09:54 AM
You shouldn't need to run in 32-bit in order to save quicktimes - there's frameworks in OSX to support passing output from 64bit apps to a 32-bit Quicktime server (which is how After Effects, Premiere and FCPX handle it). This sounds like a feature lost in the transition to 64-bit cocoa, and though I never render to quicktimes directly myself, I can see why it might be useful for people who just want to generate quick motion graphics to go into an edit. So fogbugz it - and let the developers know you want it back!

Afalk
03-23-2013, 09:51 AM
as a quick test exporting QT files -- use the Millions of Collors + <-- color depth and whateve codec you desire beyond that -- it will preserve our alpha channel.

Or as has been suggested (and is the safest bet across the board IMO) :: export a 32 bit image format :) QT Pro lets you grab image sequences & import them w/or w/o alphas. There are also a goodly number of free apps.