PDA

View Full Version : Spline Plugin

MAUROCOR
03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Do you know some reliable plugin to rigg a snake?
I need to animate an anaconda and I was thinking if there is something good to do that.
Thanks.

MAUROCOR
03-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Anyone, please?

nickdigital
03-21-2013, 09:35 PM
What does the snake actually need to do?

For just snaking along the ground you could use Trailer.

If it needs to constrict someone you could do the morph through bones technique or Spline Transform via Dpkit.

geo_n
03-21-2013, 09:53 PM
I would go with dp spline. No spline ik in lw anyway.
Did this in half a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VgRbWc7owlk
Ok not a good example but its doable. :D

ivanze
03-21-2013, 10:24 PM
If that is a not good example, how are your good examples?? :D

Nice anim, geo-n.

geo_n
03-21-2013, 10:41 PM
The animation is very stiff this would not pass my TD. But ok for side job clients with tight budget and schedule. :D
Another day to smooth out the curves in ge maybe.
The skin sliding and muscle would be tough to do for the snake.

Lewis
03-22-2013, 01:19 AM
I just tested Spline Deformer last night and works great. In past i used old 3rd party plugin (SPline Transform) but it's 32bit only and not working proprtly in LW 10+ anymore so i gave a shot to Denis' Node and it's great. Thanks Denis.

bazsa73
03-22-2013, 02:40 AM
Why there is no spline IK in LW? The code contains all the necessary elements, I hoped dearly Genoma will introduce a decent spine solution but no.
There is splinecontrol, it should be able to deform bones, or conform bones to the spline. Why is it so difficult?
I hope Lino will take care of it, he really takes care of the CA tools, that is at least reassuring.

MAUROCOR
03-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Thank you for your suggestions, guys! I will try what you suggested and letīs see what it needs.
Yeah, it would be great to have a native spline tool that works nicelly in lw.
Thanks again!

RebelHill
03-22-2013, 08:34 AM
You can also try the PLG spline IK plugin... its pretty good. Setup is broken in 64bit though, so u need to do setup in 32, but can then use in 64. There's an instruction vid for it in my RHR 3 hour sample set.

dsol
03-22-2013, 10:01 AM
I want to animate the tentacles on a Zbrush beasty I built a while back, so finding a good IK spline solution would be handy for me too. Would prefer not to have to use long bone chains if possible (plus I imagine they'd be slow to work with!)

mdunakin
03-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Obviously it looks like most people have already suggested all the most basic methods, the no longer avaiable Spline tool that some mention, which does wonders, and I still have that plugin, so I can always email that or post it if anyone still needs it, or of ocurse the old method I have on my site with a tutorial showing how to work things, and that uses bones, it's called the Sluggish tutorial, or, another really fun method that has it's good aspects while also sucking in many ways, but should do almost anything basic enough like a snake, and that's the old Spline Control that comes with most versions of LW. If yu use that, which I actually would suggest using the most, since you can do either morphing methods, or, you can simply have the object use the spline and only give it as many points as it needs and this way, you can move the front part, where the head is, and from there, simply work your way backwards until you get all moving each point and moving the animation slider each time to a new frame so that as you move each point it will, when you are done, in theory, work fairly good, at least good enough to let you see it zig zag around sort of like a snake and then of course save an increment scene and in the new scene finish where you left off and go more on to better movement detailing as you go along the time line :)

Of course, though I am like everyone else here, still just learning how to get a full use out of Genoma, you could always just use that.
How?
Easily.
Just add several short spines all conected together to make up the snake, then when you bring it nto layout simply use the little green handles to move each control point and basically animate the thing the same way they do when you see them humans walking around in parades with the dragons and they (humans) make them move all over and they actually look fairly real and all they are doing is the same thing, they each move their own point of connection. That's what you would do with the newly created Genoma rig, no? :)

Anyway, for my older but still popular tuts, you can find them all here:
www.md-arts.com/