PDA

View Full Version : Sticky When Wet

jimiclaybrooks
03-21-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm trying to do a cloth fx where the cloth is wet and sticks to the character. I've tried every combination of settings that I can think of, but with no success. Here's what I have so far. The stick and attract features only seem to work with the cloth set to infinite. Otherwise, the cloth just ignores the collision object. BTW, I'm using 9.6, not 10 or higher. Any help with this would be much appreciated. thanks

Surrealist.
03-22-2013, 06:18 AM
The thing is I think this is something you 'd have to fake and it would take some experimenting. Perhaps with weightmaps controlling portions of the object. I don't think the Cloth solver is robust enough to do it out of the box as an effect. But if you were to use a weightmap to control stiffness or viscosity or something like that you might be able to make it look like parts of the object are sticking. Is that what you are after?

What is exactly the application? Is it for a character?

I think in general it would be a good idea to first get a good simulation going: Here is some helpful information:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?96147-Clothfx-disappearing&highlight=Cloth%20Mesh

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?126654-Is-Cloth-simulation-in-LW-still-bad

From there you will notice that there are some inputs in the cloth modifier for maps. They can be used to control parameters.

jimiclaybrooks
03-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Richard, thanks for the input. I agree, I'll probably have to fudge it, as far as the wet cloth is concerned. Morphs will probably work best. I saw that some of the links to the newtek forum are dead, so I can't access that info, but your advice on the cape was very insightful. I've always had a problem with my cloth sims vibrating, and now I think I know why. I generally use 10 mm for each collision obj, but I don't allow for the needed buffer zone that you mentioned. Needless to say, I can't wait to try it. Also, I really liked your skirt test. I've found that you can't get really nice cloth fx in LW without using a pretty dense mesh. The lower res mesh really calculates fast, but it looks like rubber or plastic and not real cloth. The characters I'm doing are walking in the water, where the water level rises. As the cloth gets wet, it clings to the body. Likewise, as they come out of the water, its wet, so the cloth drips, and clings to the body. That's what I'm after. Again, thanks so much for your help. Is there any way that I can access those threads? or is that even necessary?

Surrealist.
03-23-2013, 02:49 AM
Yeah some of them are dead. The summary in the cape thread saves you a lot of digging around. I keep having to dig up these links. I did have a thread that in fact worked with proper links. But I can not find it. There is quite a bit of info in the pdf that is in the first link.

For your situation I would try some weightmaps on paramaters. In the middle of something else right now so I can not give an example exactly.