PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #210 - Soapbar, Q-tip and Perfume

ArtGoblin
03-21-2013, 03:27 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #210 - Soapbar, Q-tip and Perfume

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php)
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: Soapbar, Q-tip and Perfume

This week everyone who has a bathroom sould have an easy time finding some referances... if you don't have a bathroom... well that's just not good. But in that case google is brilliant. I want you guys to model one, two or all of the following objects: Soapbar, Q-tip (not a photoreal model of the rapper) and a Perfume bottle. It's only 60 minutes to model, so keep that in mind, I'd expect more detailed models the fewer objects you choose to model, which means that an outstanding model of a Q-tip could win over an average modeling of all three objects. Don't forget to have fun while modeling :)

Modeling time: 60mins

Deadline: Wednesday, March, 27th, 2013, 22:00 G.M.T

Samoht VII
03-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Winner! First to post wins right? :D
Pretty happy with how I went considering. Been practicing glass for a few days so perfect challenge to help me.
Around 60 for everything. Not too happy with the soap effort but hey, thems the breaks.

ArtGoblin
03-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Hahaha... I thought it was the last post that wins :) but that scene looks really good :)

XswampyX
03-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Overtime, but I'll post it anyway....

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/ChanelNo5_Render2_zps14706952.jpg

Rendered with Octane (my new best toy!). Render time 20min.

ArtGoblin
03-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Dude ! that render is friggin' awesome ! How much is post just curious?

XswampyX
03-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Dude ! that render is friggin' awesome ! How much is post just curious?

None!

ArtGoblin
03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Octane render ?.....

ok I just read it it's Octane man it looks sweet

XswampyX
03-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks!

I don't think Octane is 'better' just different.
Using Octane makes you really appreciate lightwaves great surface nodes. You can't fudge anything with the surface settings so your geometry needs to be spot on.

ksm357
03-24-2013, 08:23 PM
XswampyX u are awesome :)

VictoryX
03-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Modeling Time 22 minutes
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc346/adjustvolume/Soap_Color_zpsa819ddf2.jpg

Wire

Just broke the first rule.

Wittywop
03-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Awww There goes my Fight Club soap :(

Nice work! How did you do the bubbles on it?

VictoryX
03-25-2013, 09:17 PM
I suck at textureing so I just did a front projection of the image I worked from, on top of my geometry lol.

Kryslin
03-26-2013, 10:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smc210_colors_zps5a09d9ec.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smc210_wires_zps3f36a212.jpg

60 minutes - Soap, Q-Tip, Cologne Bottle, Soap Dish, little glass to hold Q-Tip, AND guides for fuzzy ends of Q-Tip.

Once modeled, A Windows update issue almost made me give up, since it damn near crippled Modeler, Layout, FiberFX, Hub, and Jovian. Things are pretty much back to normal after installing some 90MB of updates. FiberFX used for the fuzzy ends of the Q-Tip. Lightwave's materials used throughout, though the soap dish texture is a custom job.

Wittywop
03-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Made some personalized hand and body soap. :)
I didn't spend long modeling, maybe 20 minutes.
I did spend about an hour and a half playing with the texture displacement and trying to make it look like soap.

Was fun to actually sit down and do a speed model again. Nice work all :thumbsup:

ArtGoblin
03-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Samoht VII: That's a really good scene all three elements are wel done, the soap not looking 100% photoreal is a matter of shading and doesn't really count since this is a modeling challenge :) And the shape of the perfume bottle is really sleek !

XswampyX: Well, that render sucks ! in that it seems to be sucking all the awesomness into itself... too bad it's overtime DISQUALIFIED !

VictoryX: For only 22 minutes thats a really clean mesh with good polyflow, also shows how far you can get with a lowdetail model and some projected textures. You could have cranked up the sub-d level a bit I think. I have a feeling that you could have modeled in the screw and some soapbubbles with the 38 minutes left. And probably with as good polyflow as the soapbar.

Kryslin: That soap bar is looking pretty nice and detailed, all the micro bevels are helping the shading sell that thing. The q-tip looks fine from afar but I wish I could see a more close up of the fuzzy tip done with ffx. The bottle of cologne is a cool design but it seems like the surface get's a bit wierd I'm guessing becouse of the smoothing-angle, so it seems to lose some of it's modeled detail becouse of the shading.

Wittywop: ahhh nice, shows how far you can get with displacement textures and shading. Looks really good and waxy, mayby needs a tiny bit of tweaking on the shader but still looks like I could touch it with my hands.

ssssooooooo the winner is going to be..... hmmmm.... Samoht VII !!! Congratulations on a really well done scene and model overall best and therefor the winner :)

Kryslin
03-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Kryslin: That soap bar is looking pretty nice and detailed, all the micro bevels are helping the shading sell that thing. The q-tip looks fine from afar but I wish I could see a more close up of the fuzzy tip done with ffx. The bottle of cologne is a cool design but it seems like the surface get's a bit wierd I'm guessing becouse of the smoothing-angle, so it seems to lose some of it's modeled detail becouse of the shading.

You'd be disappointed with the ffx q-tip tip up close. The guides are simple enough, it's the fuzzy, tangled look that's not very easy to reproduce in that method. It would have been faster for me to model the end, and surface it a noisy white, and fake some translucency around the edges... I also noted the lack of detail on the cologne bottle. I guess I needed some something to reflect off the glass to see the details...

And Congrats to the winner!

XswampyX
03-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Well done Samoht VII. Great model.

Next one is up! http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134663

Samoht VII
03-29-2013, 12:20 AM
:D THanks guys. Everyone's looked awesome!