PDA

View Full Version : Is this worth submitting or am I wasting my time?

Tony3d
03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Just wondering If this something Newtek would consider for their gallery?

Sensei
03-20-2013, 09:30 AM
IMHO if you can't really tell whether it is CG or not, then it's worth sending..

Except cartoon, manga, anime etc.

Tony3d
03-20-2013, 09:55 AM
ok, so how can I improve this?

Sensei
03-20-2013, 10:06 AM
IMHO the best is to try to mimics reality.
Take photo of something in home, then model everything, and tweak surfaces and lights until they're looking the same.
You have reference, so you know what is your target..
Put reference photo in background.

Rendering something that you don't have physically at hand or photo, is job rather for experts with a lot of experience.

Your image obviously miss soft shadows from lights such as area light, or dome light. The all realistic reflections and refractions are blurred more or less. In nature there is no perfect reflection and refraction.
Clean stuff is also not natural, plastic, CG look. Realistic stuffs are dirty.
Instead of traditional reflection and refraction use dielectric etc. nodal materials.

Tony3d
03-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Yes, I did this off of a really small photo from a magazine. Though I have seen their products in person, and they do have Micron finishes on them. I'll try area lights.

lertola2
03-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Tony,
I don't usually like to tell people what I think they should do but since you asked here is what I think. Your rendering of the device is absolutely gorgeous. The lighting is beautiful and the high polish look is very appropriate for this image. I don't think it needs any scratches, grit or other things that people throw in to add realism. What I find distracting is the cloth and poker. The shape of the cloth just looks awkward. It does not look very realistic and even if the shape was good I think the casual draping is fighting the message of the image which I see as a dramatic display of a super clean high end piece of equipment. Also the poker seems distracting. Its far from the device and it is very bright and competes for you attention. If I were art directing this image I would ask you to try removing the cloth and put the poker on the right and line it up neatly with the device.

Tony3d
03-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Tony,
I don't usually like to tell people what I think they should do but since you asked here is what I think. Your rendering of the device is absolutely gorgeous. The lighting is beautiful and the high polish look is very appropriate for this image. I don't think it needs any scratches, grit or other things that people throw in to add realism. What I find distracting is the cloth and poker. The shape of the cloth just looks awkward. It does not look very realistic and even if the shape was good I think the casual draping is fighting the message of the image which I see as a dramatic display of a super clean high end piece of equipment. Also the poker seems distracting. Its far from the device and it is very bright and competes for you attention. If I were art directing this image I would ask you to try removing the cloth and put the poker on the right and line it up neatly with the device.

Yes, I think your right. The cloth needs to go. The poker is actually a music directors baton. I will move it parallel to the right side. I will post a new render tomorrow. Thanks.

Megalodon2.0
03-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Yes, I think your right. The cloth needs to go. The poker is actually a music directors baton. I will move it parallel to the right side. I will post a new render tomorrow. Thanks.

Don't get rid of the cloth - IMO - just make it better. For me, that's the ONLY thing that looks bad. Not completely bad at all, but some of the creases need work.

Once that is done, then I think you've got it. Again... IMO. :)

Love the feel of the metal! :thumbsup:

Ernest
03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
ok, so how can I improve this?

I actually like it a lot. It's funny how a tiny thing in one corner can pull you out of an image where the main element is actually really strong.

The baton was probably my main problem too. The surface seemed more like cement or plaster than fiberglass. Also it seemed cut and pasted from a different scene, since it has such an even white light, when the rest of the elements are showered in dim, warm, localized lights. (Also, the kind of fluorescent light that would light the baton so flatly like that would be reflected all over that glossy floor)

I didn't dislike the cloth. It gave it a bit of a personal touch, as opposed to a straight product shot. It also guides the eye in the right direction. However, it is probably the wrong kind of cloth for this item. You'd probably want more of a clean, soft velvet. The kind of cloth you would hold a jewel with.

More notes on the attached image, but they're just my personal opinions and could all be wrong. Light sometimes does unexpected things in the real world.

shrox
03-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Yes, you are wasting everyone's time, but not with your skills, with self-doubt! Work on it until you are satisfied, then look at it for a day. If you are still satisfied, submit it!

Tony3d
03-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys for all your constructive criticism. I will work on this some more. Just got Lwcad, so can't say just when I'll have another rendering, but it will be soon.

shrox
03-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys for all your constructive criticism. I will work on this some more. Just got Lwcad, so can't say just when I'll have another rendering, but it will be soon.

Glass, metal and skin seem to be the hardest surfaces to recreate.