PDA

View Full Version : Coping with Windows 8?

ShadowMystic
03-20-2013, 07:30 AM
I purchased a notebook which of course has windows 8 but I purchased a copy of Win7 x64 along with it. I am giving myself 3 weeks to test and adapt to win8 because amazon allows returns on unopened software.

Has anyone seen any advantages to win8 in Lw11.5?

I am mostly going to be using it for school and programming with some lightwave.

So far from what I've seen, Win8 won't survive on this laptop much longer.

geo_n
03-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Install a third party launcher so you won't have to deal with the full screen metro launcher. That's the only thing that sucked so far.
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

ivanze
03-20-2013, 08:24 AM
start8 is great, as geo_n said. In fact, my windows 8 laptop is really fast booting and shutting down, better than Windows 7 times.

ShadowMystic
03-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Anyone having issues with backwards compatibility of software? I have a few old games and a lot of Steam ones. I am not too seriously worried about games but I need to be able to work on Eclipse, Lightwave, CS6 ect. on my down time.

c.1
03-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Win8 FUBAR'd my FPrime and G2 on LW 9.6.1(on my POS laptop) but other than that it works fine and does boot up in record time so my laptop has turned into my webtop and all 3D goes back to my desktop on Win7 64 and no I will not install Win8 on that one (just in case)

Amurrell
03-21-2013, 04:53 PM
No compatibility issues per se, but I did have to do a little work on getting Steam to work, of course this was installed from OLD software (HalfLife 2). I think I eventually rolled back the compatibility, but it was slow to get going. After Steam updated, it flew and never had a problem since.

ken_g9
03-22-2013, 06:04 AM
Just go to ninite.com and install the Classic Shell. I never see the Metro interface anymore. Boots up directly to the desktop as well. This way you get the advantages of Windows 8 over Windows 7 - without the Metro.

Oedo 808
03-22-2013, 07:38 AM
I was torn between being an old fart and running for the comfort blanket of Classic Shell, and giving the default a chance, but thinking on it I just couldn't see that not having the start menu wasn't a step backwards in some ways so I installed Classic Shell and it's great.

One thing I only just discovered is that clicking the extreme right of the task bar is Show Desktop :o

The only issue I've yet to resolve is when using a tablet and tapping two points close together, Windows 8 hijacks the input and sticks the second on top of the first tap as if helping you double tap the same spot. Bloody annoying for dabbing when painting.