PDA

View Full Version : Bones

random_human_02
11-06-2003, 05:45 PM
I have a quick question.

I created a basic logo, it contains 3 pieces (1 on each layer)..when I imported it into layout, it came as one object file. (all 3 pieces)

With that said, here is my problem:

Take a look at the logo at rest here. (http://www.akstudio.com/gfx/at_rest.jpg)

Ok, now go with me on this one... I want to animate it.. kinda in the "M%M fashion" ..fluid motion..etc

now, in this screen shot (http://www.akstudio.com/gfx/look_right.jpg) I have the logo looking to the right, I activated the bone and rotated it. Why does the model do that?

Here it is looking left (http://www.akstudio.com/gfx/look_left.jpg)

Do ya see the disc I have in there? it like doesn't not conform with the letter "P"

I'm not really sure what I need to do to fix this? Do I need to remodel it? or add in more bones somewhere? I did add in a bone at the "chin" area, but that just made it worse. I need the disc shape to somehow "bend and mold" with the body of the letter "P"

Thanks again for any help you toss this way.. I have learned a ton in the last few days since I've been here.

Axis3d
11-06-2003, 06:13 PM
I would suggest having the object in one layer, making sure it has enough subdivisions so it can deform nicely. Also, you may need to use weight maps on different areas of your model.

Also, bones are nice, but for the type of effect you are showing here, you might want to not use bones at all. Try this: Open the objects Properties Panel. Go to the Deform tab > Add Displacement > Deform: Twist. Then add two nulls to your scene. Name them Base and Handle. Place the Base null at the bottom of your 'P' object. Then place the Handle null at the top of your 'P'. Go into the Twist panel and under Effect Base, select the Base null. Under Effect Handle, select the Handle null.
In Layout, select the Handle null and rotate it on the heading. You should see a really nice twist happening to the letter. Make sure your letter has enough subdivisions, you may have to go back into modeler to adjust this. You can combine this plugin with the Bend deformer also, to create some more movement on top of this. Hope this helps.

random_human_02
11-06-2003, 07:26 PM
thats awesome... I am playing with that now, but It still deforms terribly, so I'll have to add in more subdivisions.. but I have to wait on that until I get my dongle back from NT.

It took me a few minutes to figure it all out.. but I got the basics down, now I am trying to toss in a "bend" into the mix... thanks.

random_human_02
11-06-2003, 07:59 PM
alright.. I am slowly figuring this out.. but, a few questions have arisen now.

What is the advantages/disadvantages of using one over the other? (bones compared to the technique you stated above with null objects)

I notice that when using bones, they follow the object around the area, the null objects do not.

Ultimately, I want to snap a picture of my room and have this thing jump and hop around the different object in the room.

At this point it looks as though I'll be using quite a few of these objects to animate it... is this right? For example, the bottom of the "P".. has a "heel" and a "toe" .. I would like to animate a small arch between the two once it lifts off into a leap... plus have it look left and right.. and a few other tricks. Is it normal to have a bunch of these objects or bones?

It would almost make sense to use bones as they follow the object.. whereas, if I were to use the null objects, I would become quickly confused as to which one is which after the logo moves out of position and the camera angle changes.

Axis3d
11-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Bones can offer more control on a local basis inside your model. The displacement option for deforming I mentioned before has more of a global effect through the model. If the Base null is set at the bottom of the model and the Handle null set at the top, the whole object will twist or bend. But, if you set the Base null mid way through the object, the object will twist or bend from the mid point up. You can add another instance of the Twist or Bend but you need to make another set of control nulls for them. They could be positioned with the Base null at the mid, and the Handle at the bottom of the model. This would give you two ranges to control independently. Like I said, though, this method does not have the control that bones can have, but can yield a more elegant bend or twist effect.

Also, you can parent the Base and Effector to your object, so as your object moves around the nulls will move with it. One thing I like to do is, say, on the Handle null, hit 'p' for its Properties, then under Geometry tab > Add Custom Object > Item Shape. Double click to get into its menu. Change the shape to Ring. You can also type a Label for it (Twist). Then your null now looks like a ring and has the word 'Twist' on it so now it's not so confusing in Layout.

Unfortunately, mixing the displacement plugin with bones does not work. Bones are disabled when these displacement plugins are active. It's pretty much one way or the other.

But, in one shot of your sequence, it may make sense to have one kind of setup and for another shot, you might want to have bones. You can mix things up like that.

random_human_02
11-07-2003, 08:31 AM
ahh I get it.

So.. if I have the twist effect, which contains 2 nulls, base and handle and want to add bend, I have to create 2 more nulls, base and handle?

I can't add in a bend effect using the same base as the handle? This is how I am understanding it now, thanks, which makes sense as I tried to add in the bend last night, using the twist base, as the base for the bend... thus it did not work, it just deformed it and I had no control.

Well, now that you have explained to me how to get the effect to follow the object and label it as well, I think I'll try to work more with these instead of bones, for this particular project.

thanks again.