PDA

View Full Version : Companies that NT should consider doing a strategic partnerships (Tell us your ideas)

robertoortiz
03-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Well first we got Modo and Foundry, and now Maxon and Adobe.

IF NewTek decided to go down the strategic partnership path what companies should it consider?

I am looking forward to your ideas and Suggestions.

-R

ivanze
03-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Was not there a long time ago some partnership between Eyeon and Newtek? Or was just a DFX+ bundle with Lightwave?

hazmat777
03-19-2013, 02:43 PM
What about LW and 3D-Coat?

COBRASoft
03-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Microsoft :) (just kidding)

On a serious note, I think they should partner with several smaller companies/persons (3DCoat, Octane, KRay, LWTools, DPont, TrueArt, ...). NT probably has some kind of understanding with some of them, but I doubt if this is anything 'official'. If you're seeking a 'big' company, Google comes to mind because they pioneer in webstuff and that's the real future for software development.

robertoortiz
03-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Was not there a long time ago some partnership between Eyeon and Newtek? Or was just a DFX+ bundle with Lightwave?
That was a long time ago, but now it would be a strategic alliance that that would make sense.

prometheus
03-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Lumion
Dassault systems (solidworks) importers..but they are working with Luxology now.
Pro engineer ?? not sure if itīs closed down
Pixologic (zbrush) canīt go wrong with that, even better support perhaps
Eonsoftware (vue) work to enhance ozone which has some issues and feature lacks, and include carbon scatter.

Daz studio ( improvement to make Lightwave and daz the easiest way to generate and animate figures)

Endorphin (natural motion) just awesome body language, simple rigs presets and plugins working with lightwave and bullet physics in a snap

mav3rick
03-21-2013, 06:00 PM
adobe.. yea u can hate it as much u want but neither Dreamweaver neither Flash was changed dramatically once acquired ... i would say adobe packages are one of most non standardized packages from same publisher. layers, paths and app logic does not follow eachother uniformly is just one thing for example.. why NT (LW DEV TEAM ACTUALLY) .. adobe need 3d package to finish their offer and LW DEV need serious money and coding resources to boost and speed up development.. i would say for serious compete we need at least 3 programmers ASAP... and NT should drop LW and offer it for sale ..... NT never cared about LW .. they produce Toaster, Tricaster, 3play and LW is just their part time fun .... until that change we wont see some serious kick in LW development

Ztreem
03-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Lumion
Dassault systems (solidworks) importers..but they are working with Luxology now.
Pro engineer ?? not sure if itīs closed down
Pixologic (zbrush) canīt go wrong with that, even better support perhaps
Eonsoftware (vue) work to enhance ozone which has some issues and feature lacks, and include carbon scatter.

Daz studio ( improvement to make Lightwave and daz the easiest way to generate and animate figures)

Endorphin (natural motion) just awesome body language, simple rigs presets and plugins working with lightwave and bullet physics in a snap

PTC ProEngineer is now called Creo. It actually have SDS, NURBS and Solid modeling combined with history. So you can make a quick basic shape with SDS and then add details with solid modeling and then go back and refine your SDS model and the solid details will update. I have to work in ProEngineer from time to time at work.

geo_n
03-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Messiah and 3dcoat. So pmg and pilgway.

3dWannabe
03-21-2013, 10:42 PM
To successfully compete against Modo/Nuke, Newtek should partner with Eyeon/Fusion.

As a Fusion owner, I'd love to see ray traced rendering within Nodal-based Fusion.

License the render engine to them - as the future of compositing is definitely going to include ray tracing.

I wouldn't mind Newtek reaching out to NextLimit/RealFlow a bit.

RealFlow has been updating their LW plug-ins, but ... LW has not been getting the full dose of RealFlow love reserved for some un-named products owned by the forces of evil.

mikkelen
03-22-2013, 12:51 AM
LightWave should stay independent, and spend plentiful on making sure that LightWave connects nicely to Nuke, After-Effects, etc... and make sure that the important and high quality plugins works natively with LightWave.

tyrot
03-22-2013, 07:28 AM
mikkelen - totally agree with you ... I guess this is what exactly NT doing lately.. Connect everywhere stay independent ..

GandB
03-22-2013, 08:37 AM
If we're naming names; I'll echo 3D-Coat, and add Unity. It's not just for games, but for real-time simulations as well. A rock-solid pipeline between Unity and Lightwave would bring in a huge wave of new users, in my opinion.

jburford
03-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Well first we got Modo and Foundry. . . .

more like the Foundry purchased-acquired Modo-Luxology, not really a strategic partnership per say but incorperating and expanding their pallette. or?

But know what you mean.

For me, would say Kray, Vray, and 3DCoat. Would also like to say Messiah, but can not, as it is a one man show.... If Fori would crash and burn in a car accident, then the strategic partnership would be over with.

kosmodave
03-22-2013, 09:09 AM
:devil:They should partner with a web developer then perhaps we would see the forum fixed.

Seriously though if its a partnership then go with LWTools that way Victor will still be independent and can continue to innovate, but maybe have better access to the Lightwave Code.

Dave

philthorn
03-22-2013, 09:23 AM
If any partnerships/alliances are to be made I prefer they be with the big studios. Rob already has an "in" with many and I'd like to see Lightwave back in the fold using custom support and technology exchanges to make it the go-to tool for Hollywood. The more visibility LW has the better. It worked for Maya in the early days and Lightwave has a long track record with many out there in the CG community.

-Phil

allabulle
03-22-2013, 10:14 AM
The thing is that big studios are closing one after another.

I also prefer the LightWave Group to stay independent. But working well with others. They are already doing so, though.

philthorn
03-22-2013, 11:04 AM
The thing is that big studios are closing one after another.

I should have said high-profile studios. Big or small it makes economic sense for an FX studio to leverage the price/power that LW can bring and it would be really cool to see more LW up on the movie screen instead of hidden in a pre-viz demo reel.

prometheus
03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
PTC ProEngineer is now called Creo. It actually have SDS, NURBS and Solid modeling combined with history. So you can make a quick basic shape with SDS and then add details with solid modeling and then go back and refine your SDS model and the solid details will update. I have to work in ProEngineer from time to time at work.

I knew that it changed name to that, yes..but didnīt know the status of further development.
Interesting to hear about combined SDS,NURBS and solid modeling, sounds awesome if it works very seemlessly.
Have to lurk around and check it out.

I think Lightwave need some collaboration with another company bringing better construction tools to and inside Lightwave, 3d desktop revolution ahead etc, with tools that levels
more accurate construction tools much like cad solid tools.

Big company names, well..Maybe some serious work with Big vfx houses such as Dreamworks or Weta perhaps, sort of like sidefx-houdini working with on cloudFX tools and open VDB...now
sideFX already has gained such reputation and been incorporated and established to those studios, so I donīt think it would be an easy thing to do.
Would be nice though since tools develops on specific terms basis to acheive something extra ordinary.
http://www.openvdb.org/
open source...
http://www.openvdb.org/download/

I reckon The Lightwave group would need to get such skilled programmer and innovator and come up with a new innovative tool in lightwave which then would create such
fuzz that the Big studios pay attention to it and simply wantīs to join in and help improve it.
sort of VAD department going for avatar etc.

Bullet,flocking,fiberFX in all glory..noneof that is a wow moment(yet) ..other platforms most likely have equal and better similar technology like that.
Michael

wesleycorgi
03-22-2013, 01:42 PM
I like LW > 3D Coat/Z-Brush > Fusion. If you throw in plug-ins: LW + LWCad, TFD, RHiggit, Octane plug, JimmyRig > 3D Coat/Z-Brush > Fusion.

Elmar Moelzer
03-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Well a few years ago, I proposed them partnering with us on marketing VoluMedic...
Other than that, I would strongly suggest Unity ( I would love to see Unity work inside LightWaves Layout as I consider navigation and handling of Layout still superior to Unity's own Editor).
If not Unity then Leadwerks, which is a smaller company and probably more approachable (Unity was a few years ago and now is really big).

lwanmtr
03-22-2013, 07:19 PM
RealFlow or the TFD thing...would be great to get good fluid sims working natively in LW. Though Vue would be nice to have as a native environment solution to make it easier to combine LW with great landscapes.

Doctor49152
03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Instead of Newtek partnering LightWave with any one company that sells a product I'd rather see them get more into the training and creation of new animators. That way the base of core users would increase and in doing so Newteks shares of the market would grow as well. Then the companies would come to Newtek and Lightwave on all their own. Grow your base and the rest will grow as well. Seems like Autodesk is doing the opposite and annoying their customers. Seize that opportunity.

If not that then they still need to follow the #1 rule of marketing and thats go where the people are. Maybe strike up a deal for a limited SE version of lightwave through websites like Deviant Art or Computer Graphics World. Maybe partner with a broadcaster for a contest. BBC is having their 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, Star Trek is coming up on 50 as well? Maybe have some wicked prize for stuff made in totally in LW. We all know how much LightWave was used in the Star Trek series. Maybe it times others did too? Play off that.

But partnering with the Game developers would be a big thing I think. Partner with Unity or the UDK front. That industry seems to be growing and changing while the VFX industry is... well I don't know what it's doing. But it's not good at the moment.

robertoortiz
05-21-2013, 08:56 AM
I want to resurrect this thread because of the recent Adobe Fiasco.
Since Cinema 4d is closely tied up with Adobe, (And who knows how far this future partnership will go)
I wonder if NT could partner up with a upcoming company.

For example the makers the HitFILM.

Hit Film is a compositing program designed to compete with After Effects and it is squarely aimed at the Indy market.

The cool thing is that it natively supports LWO objects!

For more on the program go here:
http://hitfilm.com/

PS I also second doing an approach to the makers of Unity 3d.

jwiede
05-21-2013, 09:52 AM
I want to resurrect this thread because of the recent Adobe Fiasco.
Since Cinema 4d is closely tied up with Adobe, (And who knows how far this future partnership will go)
I wonder if NT could partner up with a upcoming company.

For example the makers the HitFILM.

Hit Film is a compositing program designed to compete with After Effects and it is squarely aimed at the Indy market.
I could see Newtek partnering with Eyeon, they have prior relations, Fusion is a widely-used and lauded "Pro" product, etc. With all due respect to Hitfilm, I think partnering with the Hitfilm folks will come off too much as a desperate "me too" attempt to mimic the Adobe-MAXON partnership. Hitfilm just doesn't have the same credibility as Fusion. At least with Eyeon there's prior history there, and nobody will look at Fusion as a "wannabe AE", while I think that's exactly how a LW-Hitfilm partnership would come across. Poorly conceived partnerships can do a significant amount of harm to reputation and market perception as well.

Regardless, either Newtek has deals/partnerships in the works already, or they don't. Anything they would start now would take many months to a year plus if there's any real technological value involved, and if there isn't, why bother other than just some PR "photo op"? Don't get me wrong, PR photo ops are fine, but nobody's going to mistake one for a real value-exchange partnership between Newtek and another corporation.

robertoortiz
05-21-2013, 10:07 AM
I could see Newtek partnering with Eyeon, they have prior relations, Fusion is a widely-used and lauded "Pro" product, etc. With all due respect to Hitfilm, I think partnering with the Hitfilm folks will come off too much as a desperate "me too" attempt to mimic the Adobe-MAXON partnership. Hitfilm just doesn't have the same credibility as Fusion. At least with Eyeon there's prior history there, and nobody will look at Fusion as a "wannabe AE", while I think that's exactly how a LW-Hitfilm partnership would come across. Poorly conceived partnerships can do a significant amount of harm to reputation and market perception as well.

Regardless, either Newtek has deals/partnerships in the works already, or they don't. Anything they would start now would take many months to a year plus if there's any real technological value involved, and if there isn't, why bother other than just some PR "photo op"? Don't get me wrong, PR photo ops are fine, but nobody's going to mistake one for a real value-exchange partnership between Newtek and another corporation.
Good Points.
I would suggest then , why not both?

Both apps target different markets, one is for the high end, and one if more for the prosumer market.

On a related topic,
I do have to wonder what is going to happen to Cinema4D now that its partner has gone of the deep end.

bobakabob
05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
On a related topic,
I do have to wonder what is going to happen to Cinema4D now that its partner has gone of the deep end.

It wouldn't be surprising if Autodesk follow the Adobe model soon, followed by Maxon. Will Newtek and Luxology also end up subscription based?

A b2b partnership between Newtek Lightwave and Pilgway 3D Coat would surely have potential as the programs complement each other so well. I'm a happy Zbrush user but have been watching the truly impressive 3D Coat innovations of late. It would also be good to see LW forming a partnership with a good landscape generating software developer.

robertoortiz
05-21-2013, 10:42 AM
It wouldn't be surprising if Autodesk follow the Adobe model soon, followed by Maxon. Will Newtek and Luxology also end up subscription based?

A b2b partnership between Newtek Lightwave and Pilgway 3D Coat would surely have potential as the programs complement each other so well. I'm a happy Zbrush user but have been watching the truly impressive 3D Coat innovations of late. It would also be good to see LW forming a partnership with a good landscape generating software developer.

Companies considering a Subscription model?
Autodesk- Yes, hell FOR SURE, this WILL happen. The people in Wall Street will pressure them to do so.
Maxon- Yes. But I would not be surprised if they dont merger with Adobe soon. I know they are big, but lets face it, Adobe is a monster. So yes I do see this happening, and soon.
Luxology- No They are not there yet in terms of market share, so no.
Pixilogic- Maybe leaning to no. They like their market.
Newtek- No. Unless they are suicidal, so no.

I agree that Newtek Lightwave and Pilgway 3D Coat would be an incredible combo.
I think we are reaching a time were smaller companies have to start teaming up and supporting each other to covers each other backs. After all companies like Adobe are playing now dirty pool.

probiner
05-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Sitting on my hands waiting for LW12 info, that is all...

chikega
05-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Eyeon Lighwave would make the most sense. I still have my DFX+ somewhere. :)

OnlineRender
05-23-2013, 12:07 PM
lwiki

Lewis
05-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Sitting on my hands waiting for LW12 info, that is all...

I never installed mine :D. Would that even work on win7/8 nowdays :)?

jwiede
05-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Maxon- Yes. But I would not be surprised if they dont merger with Adobe soon. I know they are big, but lets face it, Adobe is a monster. So yes I do see this happening, and soon.
So you see Adobe buying nemetschek really soon? Do you have any supporting evidence for that?

Given nemetschek is 53% single-family-owned (iow, primarily _privately-owned_), and the family shows zero interest in selling (nor is the company's portfolio a good match for Adobe, Autodesk maybe but not Adobe), I just don't see that happening. But hey, anything's possible, right?

Megalodon2.0
05-23-2013, 08:31 PM
If it wasn't for Newtek having that free DFX+ with Lightwave long ago, I would not have the full version of Fusion 6 now. it was a great combination.

I can also see great benefits in partnering with the guys at Hitfilm since it's FAR more affordable than Fusion and has presets that are allot easier to deal with that setting everything up in Fusion. And it would probably be easier for Newtek to bundle the lite version of Hitfilm with LW12 (and upgrades) than it would to do anything with Fusion since it's much higher in price. I just don't see - at the moment - how a partnership with eye-on would work.

And since Hitfilm already has native LWO support... it certainly might be a good fit.

Fusion is great for highend, Hitfilm might be far better for the LW hobbyist. For me... I'd like both. :)

Edit. Also, it's not certain AT ALL that subscriptions will happen throughout the industry. Has anyone been watching Adobe stock pricing? It's been going DOWN since the announcement on May 6th. It was selling at 47 and is now down to just over 42. With any luck it will continue to go DOWN and we'll see an Adobe reversal of decision. it will take a while, but I am still hopeful. If they do succeed, it does not bode well for ANY software in the future.

chikega
05-23-2013, 10:06 PM
I believe Sony has formed a relationship with Hitfilm .. bundling it with various versions of the Vegas video suite.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware

akaracquel
05-23-2013, 11:31 PM
The plugin writers & LWers who've helped/shared & contributed towards making the experience of being able to work exclusively within LW, more enjoyable for me. (thank you)

Megalodon2.0
05-23-2013, 11:43 PM
I believe Sony has formed a relationship with Hitfilm .. bundling it with various versions of the Vegas video suite.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware

Yeah, in fact I plan on purchasing their Creative suite instead of just upgrading Vegas Pro BECAUSE Hitfilm is included.

Of course what's in the Sony Creative suite would ALSO benefit Lightwave users as well - at least those who want to create shorts and their own IP's.

I know there is SpeedEdit, but AFAIK that has received so little love in the past few years they might as well just shelve it and go with Sony.

Netvudu
06-05-2013, 05:53 AM
I just want to add to this discussion that the whole Adobe and Maxon partnership thing isnīt really about Adobe looking at C4d and say "hey, thatīs cool, letīs partner with these guys". It was more of Maxon paying Adobe to include a lite version of c4D and Adobe replying "ok, if you put the money in, we will pack the thing". I think that changes a bit the game....

chikega
06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I have an older copy of Vegas Pro somewhere ... I'll have to upgrade it and get my HITFILM on. :)

shrox
06-05-2013, 01:20 PM
A computer maker with specs for the ideal Lightwave machine.

papou
06-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Pmg , Eyeon , 3dcoat can be serious partnership for future...
Lwtools, Trueart, Dpont, Pictrix, MindBerries, are best pal, they need to be thanks for what they done...what they continue to do...
... to late for worley... to late for evasion3D, to late for Fiatech, to late for all dev they are nowhere anymore.
In the pass, they miss Joe Alter, Nextlimit, luxo, and pmg ... again.

octopus2000
07-08-2013, 11:19 AM
how about newtek n' dassault systems? lightwave should be able to open solidworks files for ease of translation. it's a perfect partnership.

prometheus
07-08-2013, 11:10 PM
how about newtek n' dassault systems? lightwave should be able to open solidworks files for ease of translation. it's a perfect partnership.

nothing wrong with that, unless if it onflicts with luxology cooperation, they have that cooperation with dassault.

Michael

mav3rick
07-09-2013, 03:15 AM
dont see whats problem about adobe acquiring newtek....
i am wondering.. what would ppl say if maxon get bought by adobe? im sure there would be gloom doom all over newtek thread as than we would be like unwanted child... lux found partner, xsi, maya has own ugly monster and we are like pirates on bad sea... with serious bag of money and quiet of development expand i think we have no much luck on CGI market.

dsol
07-09-2013, 03:40 AM
Newtek is a privately owned company. No-one's buying them unless the owners want to sell. And I can't see why Adobe would want to make an offer now they're in bed (officially) with Maxon. Autodesk might, but then again, they've been hurting a bit financially for the last few years (experiencing lots of downsizing), so might have delayed any big expensive acquisitions. Either that, or they're saving up to buy The Foundry!

EDIT: but to go back to the idea of partnerships, the Hitfilm one isn't a bad idea. That company seems to have gained a lot of interest in the last few months, and they've really grown on the back of the Adobe CC fiasco. Plus, as has already been said, they already have decent LW support too.