PDA

View Full Version : GPU BIASED rendering Redshift

doubl3
03-19-2013, 06:33 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=1098062&page=1&pp=15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjCguRdSlV0

I came across this new renderer.
Its a Biased GPU accelerated render engine.

What is realy amazing is the speed: 1024*512 interior noiseless on a GTX 670(yep, one card and not the most expensive) in 40 SECONDS
Also the bridged the memory problem alowing extremly heavy scenes to be rendered.

Hopefully soon something for lightwave!? LW team... listening?.... hehe would be a real sollution. :D

ivanze
03-19-2013, 08:04 AM
One of the developers wrote this over there:

"Regarding Cinema4D support: we are definitely open to it - especially if we hear lots of people asking for it! After 3DSMax support is online, we'll be evaluating support for all other DCCs. An API is also in the works so that 3rd parties can hopefully help us with plugin creation."

I hope Juangon can take a look at it. :)

OFF
03-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Interesting time begins - the tendency to optimize rendering it much more effective as opposed to increasing computer power. Each year the circle of producers of the software expands and now several GPU renderers and CPU/brute force renderers competes in the market. If NewTek = New Technology, and they have always been able to keep up with the times - Volumetrics, HyperVoxels, Subpatching, Gradients, Nodes, VPR, etc. - may be in the area of ​​new computational algorithms, they also will be among the innovators.

Tobian
03-19-2013, 10:08 AM
It was brought up on the Octane thread, and sadly Juanjon doesn't seem interested. He's throwing his weight behind unbiased brute force renderers.

Personally it looks to be awesome, and solves many of the issues which GPU renderers have, so it's a shame.

doubl3
03-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Yes indeed. If Newtek could in some way incorporate GPU in the existing render engine of Lightwave similar to this integration... well that would be really be the strongest move to make!

gristle
03-20-2013, 02:14 AM
I have to say it is of more interest to me than Octane is, even with their new farm capability. Some clients just are not keen on you farming out their renderings.
It will be interesting to see if any GPU capability is included in Kray 3, but things seem to be moving slowly over there.

dsol
03-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Yes indeed. If Newtek could in some way incorporate GPU in the existing render engine of Lightwave similar to this integration... well that would be really be the strongest move to make!

I'd be curious to see if a deferred lighting model - similar to some game engines out now - could enable the creation of a good general-purpose hybrid GPU/CPU render engine. So the textured polys are rendered without lighting (on the CPU - enabling support for large textures), then the GPU does the lighting pass. Obviously this gets complicated with radiosity because the colour of surfaces affects the light bouncing off, but this might be cheatable with a 2.5d solution by reprojecting the CPU-rendered colour/texture pass onto the geometry in the GPU lighting pass (with the obvious caveat that colour wouldn't be reflected correctly from indirect polys).

But it's an interesting approach, and might yield a very, very fast and good looking render engine - while still supporting most existing LW scenes. Maybe with a bit of internal conversion, Nodal materials could be translated to support the new engine. Anyway, just a thought!

OFF
03-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Actually I'm more for the CPU unbias rendering engine (Corona/Arnold/Maxwell/Fry-like), but welcomes the presence of hybrid technology.

COBRASoft
03-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Just thinking out loud here... With multipass rendering, the GPU could do the AO, shadow pass and the like, while the CPU does the color and GI or so. Would that even be possible?

dsol
03-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Just thinking out loud here... With multipass rendering, the GPU could do the AO, shadow pass and the like, while the CPU does the color and GI or so. Would that even be possible?

AO and GI should be handled by the GPU in a deferred rendering setup. They're both lighting effects.
Of course, the unlit colour pass could be done on the GPU too, but you'd have to see if the speed benefits of doing so outweigh the limitations on texture memory and procedural texturing support.

dsol
03-20-2013, 06:50 AM
there's a good wiki page on it - which also explains the limitations of it. Despite the limitations (the need for multiple passes to support transparency and materials), it's still a very interesting approach. I'd be very interested to see if things like video copilot Element 3D start using that approach, as it's already a game-like engine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_shading

samurai_x
08-29-2016, 08:08 PM
https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/8246/

Juanjo Gonzalez is working with Redshift renderer for houdini.

I hope people have a chance to use it. Its the fastest renderer available. No other gpu renderer is as fast.

short223
09-16-2016, 05:40 AM
I'm curious as to everyone's thought about this software (which is a direct competitor to Redshift):
http://www.3dexcite.com/en/offering/software/author/3dexcite-deltagen

Basically it is a "real-time" GPU renderer mainly used by large corporations like the auto industry....

Chris