PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Front Projection vs. deformations?

hypercubexl
03-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Hi,

I had found some older threads talking about alternatives to Fixed Front Projection vs. the now-gone good old Worley StickyFP, some had node based versions, but none of them seem to take deformations into account.

Have there been any advances recently in this, or is there a simple cheat? I am breaking a live action building up and all I want to do is stick the image to the parts as they start to fly off, and I really don't want to go through some sort of agonizing reprojection/UV or paint methodology.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any insights.

nickdigital
03-18-2013, 04:59 PM
...the now-gone good old Worley StickyFP, some had node based versions, but none of them seem to take deformations into account.

Worley is still around, what do you mean by "now-gone"?

Post #12 in this thread talks about a node version. I'm not sure how stable it is tho.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134139-Can-we-do-this-in-LW

adk
03-18-2013, 08:50 PM
One of my initial tests for the sticky UV node from db&w was to shatter a building using Bullet. The building was made of heaps of cubes, as I was testing a specific look, but in theory this should work just fine on any other geometry you have in mind.
I can not for the life of me find the animation tests but from memory it all worked fine. I simply rendered a still at frame 0 (where the building is untouched), applied the node & the texture did project & stick. You need to keep in mind of the way it's applied so any cubes that rotate & reveal a previously hidden face, or cubes behind the front facing ones that suddenly come into view, will have projection smeering. If it's happening fast & if you're a bit more clever with the texturing perhaps then this might work just fine. The deformations that happened with Bullet & the node worked just fine from memory. So I really hope I'm correct in that respect. I'll see if I can hunt down the original & if not I'll knock up a simple scene if & when I get a chance (no promise on when that might happen as I'm flat chat atm)