PDA

View Full Version : Old ship...new render

FenrirWolf
11-06-2003, 03:04 PM
Well, after having dug out an old scene I had wanted for posting in that "Your first render..." thread, I decided to take a stab at trying to project my model in, literally, a new light. (The original render is right here (http://www.gapingwolf.com/artwork/newship02.jpg).)

I've learned a bit more light and shadow since that time. So, this time instead of a single distant light, I used GI backdrop with a nebula picture as the light seed. After adding a little corona to it, I got the result I've attached below.

I think the ship looks like crap, but I like the nebula effect and think it's interesting how lighting can make a big difference in the mood of the picture.

sbrandt
11-06-2003, 03:52 PM
...in deep space the light from the far distant nebula wouldn't create an ambient pink glow like that. Especially on the near side of the craft. It looks like the nebula and the craft are just a few feet apart and in the same room. The original render is much more realistic. I like it better.

Jure
11-06-2003, 04:16 PM
I agree it isn't physicaly correct lighting, but it looks much better. Better because it makes image more interesting (and not necceserly more realistic). That's the beauty of "artistical interpretation" IMHO :)
cheers!

starbase1
11-06-2003, 04:28 PM
If you want to get technical about it, no nebula would look coloured like that - very few are bright enough to have any colour to the naked eye, and those that do look faint green, (because the eye is more sensitive to green).

Colours only appear in long time exposures.

Few people realise that many nebulae are large - the andromeda galaxy is six times the size of a full moon! And the Orion nebula is also much bigger than the moon - but the eye only picks up the very brightest parts.

So let rip with what looks good!

(I agree about the light coming from teh wrong side though!)

Nick

sbrandt
11-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Does Sveta have an unmarried sister?
YOU are a luck dog bud!!!

That first shot on what I guess is the tower bridge, on top of the bus, is a really interesting fun picture.

sbrandt
11-06-2003, 05:44 PM
luck dog = lucky dog

MorituriMax
11-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by sbrandt
Does Sveta have an unmarried sister?
YOU are a luck dog bud!!!

That first shot on what I guess is the tower bridge, on top of the bus, is a really interesting fun picture.

What in the world are you talking about?

sbrandt
11-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Well, the BIG CLUE is... the post was to Nick !

So, it follows that way through the fog of confusion is:
1. Take note, the message was to StarBase1. (Nick)
2. Go to StarBase1's (Nick) userprofile.
3. Scan lines of copy.
4. Find "HOMPAGE:"
5. Click on URL: http://www.starbase1.co.uk
6. Click on "PHOTOS".
7. Click on "NICK and SVETA's Wedding".
8. Please, don't kill me Sir !!!

starbase1
11-09-2003, 02:54 AM
Can we get back to making pics of spaceships now?!?!
:D

FenrirWolf
11-10-2003, 02:47 PM
LOL, thanks Starbase1. Yeah, I admit, I took some huuuuge liberties with the lighting in this picture. It's not realistic at all, but I really like the effect nonetheless. I guess the lighting might only work if the ship was stuck in a globular star cluster. (A lot of bright, young stars immensed in active interstellar gas.) Even so, we wouldn't see such a wild variety of colors, as Starbase1 pointed out.