PDA

View Full Version : Visible edges where poly's join.

Beerbaron
03-17-2013, 08:36 PM

I constructed it by taking a wedge from a sphere and mirroring it, then creating new poly's to make the straight side sections, but it is giving me those funny lines. Did I not construct it right?

nickdigital
03-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Do you have 2 point polys? You can check for this in the statistics window.

Beerbaron
03-17-2013, 09:56 PM
I got rid of some geometry and it fixed the lines, but there are still visible dots where the curved corners come to a corner, if that makes any sense.

Beerbaron
03-17-2013, 10:00 PM
As here:

jeric_synergy
03-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Check for one point polys and coincident points.

Beerbaron
03-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Check for one point polys and coincident points.

I merged some points that were at those spots, but the error continues.

jeric_synergy
03-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Well, welcome to the initiation ritual. We've all chased these things all over meshes. My favs are the ones that when you fix 'em, make some other part render wrong.

Try Selecting polys surrounding these artifacts and Unify. Also, simply visually count and see if there seems to be a mismatch between the count and what you're seeing.

Beerbaron
03-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Well, welcome to the initiation ritual. We've all chased these things all over meshes. My favs are the ones that when you fix 'em, make some other part render wrong.

Try Selecting polys surrounding these artifacts and Unify. Also, simply visually count and see if there seems to be a mismatch between the count and what you're seeing.

I am not exactly new, I have been using Lightwave since V 5.6. This stuff was happening on another project and I finally sorted it out. I may just try and remake the geometry, if your suggestions don't help. Thanks.

jeric_synergy
03-18-2013, 12:49 AM
Oh, no offense. Let us know what it is when you get it sorted.

OH, and sometimes a poly sneaks in, perpendicular to the surface but using the same points, like a cross-piece. Those show up in the render too, and are hard to spot.

OFF
03-18-2013, 02:14 AM
Show point and polygon statistic tab of your object.

hrgiger
03-18-2013, 02:23 AM
Yeah, I was going to say, I know you've merged geometry but what is your statistics panel telling you? I would think There has to be some 1 or 2 point polys in there.

Danner
03-18-2013, 03:07 AM
The usual suspects are: One point polygons, two point polygons, Non planars. There is a weird kind of non planar that will not go away even if you triple them. They are usually garbage safe to delete tho.

OFF
03-18-2013, 04:47 AM
.. and splines.

probiner
03-18-2013, 09:11 AM
I run this at times when modeling.
http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/cp_janitor/

Cheers

Beerbaron
03-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Oh, no offense. Let us know what it is when you get it sorted.

Stupid mistake. I had two halves of the roof thingy in different layers. When I merged the two layers and ran a merge points, the artifacts went away. Sometimes Lightwave can drive you crazy over stuff like this.

Thanks all!

Tobian
03-19-2013, 10:15 AM
If you're in poly mode, hit 'w' - bringing up polygon statistics. Select any 1 or 2 vertex, by hitting the little + and then hit delete to wipe them from existence. Simples.

(or run the script Probiner showed)

Or in Layout, go to render globals > render tab and unselect 'render lines' - which will stop them from being rendered. However you should delete them, as they can cause subsequent modelling issues (like being unable to cut them, or causing rounder or boolean errors etc).