PDA

View Full Version : emit partigons from surface

cam
11-06-2003, 02:42 PM
I would like to take advantage of quick partigon rendering. I am able to add them to the scene through the fx browser. However I would like to add them to an object so that i can emit from surface.

I tried to add fx emitter to the object. Particles were emitted but would not render. I was able to create an emitter from surface and parent a partigon emitter below. This seems to work but seemed a little over-kill (doubling the number of particles in the scene).

I almost need a 'partigon drawing' (rather than HV drawing) under the custom object menu.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

cam

Axis3d
11-06-2003, 05:50 PM
You can have an object emit particles from its vertices or its surface normals. If you have a ball, for instance, open the objects Properties Panel > Geometry Tab > Add Custom Object > FX_Emitter. Double-click on FX_Emitter to get into it, then, under Nozzle, select Object-Vertices. Then go to the Motion Tab and give it an Explosion value of 2. If you scrub through the scene in Layout you should see your particles coming off the vertices in the order that the object vertices were made.

If you want to see these particles render, I suggest using Hypervoxels. This will allow you to vary their size, color, transparency, etc.
Basically, in Layout, go to Scene > Tools > Hypervoxels. Once inside the requester, double click on the ball name in the list on the left to activate it. Set the Particle Size to 2mm and click on Show Particles at the bottom. You should see the particles in Layout now. If you adjust the Particle Size value, you should see it change interactively in Layout. Hitting F9 now should give you some very tiny particles. Adjusting the Size Variation will randomly vary their sizes. There are a million things you can do with Hypervoxels (but I won't go into that right now). Hope this helps.

cam
11-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I wasn't too clear. While i agree hypervoxels are great. In the particular instance i would like to use partigons. I will be cranking up the particle number and the motion blur, so I would like to take advantage of the quick rendering of 1 point polys ( ala prman point primitive).

The problem is that while I can figure out how to emit partigons from a null and HV from a surface; however, I can't figure out how to emit partigons from a surface.

thanks,
cl

Dodgy
11-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Ah the parent emitter trick :)

Create an emitter in the object. Make it emit the same number of particles as polys in a frame and set the max number of particles to this too (so for a 500 poly object, set these numbers to 500 and 500) . Set their lifetime to the length of the scene. This will give you particles at the centre of each poly for the length of the scene.

Add a partigon emitter and parent it to your object. Use 'Parent emitter' in the shape drop down, and set up your particles as you would normally (you might want to set up the rate as low as posible!).. Ta-da!