PDA

View Full Version : MARI 2.0 New Features Promo Tour (Video)

robertoortiz
03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
What's new in The Foundry's MARI 2.0 (thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari) -- In under 3 minutes this video showcases the revolutionary features in MARI 2.0's new state of the art layer system. Including Procedural Layers, Mask Groups and Shared Layers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-g5GG7iG0s

50one
03-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Watched the presentation, previously I thought that "all good but you can't paint the bump, diff, spec at the same time and don't have the power of PS layers, masks, filters etc." now it's all possible to do this in Mari, quite impressive really! I might buy it over the next couple of weeks.

geo_n
03-14-2013, 10:19 PM
1995USD, I need to be loaded with cash to afford that. 3dcoat is enough and photoshop will improve its 3d painting features soon.

Rayek
03-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Its layer masking reminds me of Photoline (more or less identical, honestly), which is great. I love the procedural layers - I tested the Mari 1.6 trial, and really enjoyed the responsiveness, even at high 16K resolutions. I disliked the lack of layers - and the Foundry really did listen to their users. It looks brilliant

But! Rather out of reach for me as a freelancer. Sucks.

Surrealist.
03-15-2013, 02:12 AM
There are not a lot of times I would say this. But in this case I real feel it applies.

Overpriced. By more than double.

There just is nothing to justify it. You are going to add a paint app to your pipeline. Already right there you are replacing Zbrush Polypaint, Mudbox UV or PTex. Any other app such as Modo or 3D coat.

Granted, you can say that for large projects there is no other way to go with such large images. But it still does not justify the bloated price point IMHO. Because you are adding but only one function to your pipeline. Painting. If it did sculpting, UV mapping and a few other things. OK. But a specialized function just painting? And they just added PS layers? Really.

Not really liking Foundology either. Too bad, Modo was going in such a good direction. Now I think being in bed with this company will definitely bloat their prices as well.

Rayek
03-15-2013, 02:23 AM
I tend to agree with you - looking at what 3d coat and substance designer can do, I also feel they are going beyond expected price levels.

I still like the new features, though. If this were ~$600 I'd be interested. As it stands now, well...

There are not a lot of times I would say this. But in this case I real feel it applies.

Overpriced. By more than double.

There just is nothing to justify it. You are going to add a paint app to your pipeline. Already right there you are replacing Zbrush Polypaint, Mudbox UV or PTex. Any other app such as Modo or 3D coat.

Granted, you can say that for large projects there is no other way to go with such large images. But it still does not justify the bloated price point IMHO. Because you are adding but only one function to your pipeline. Painting. If it did scupting, uV mapping and a few other things. OK. But a specialized function just painting? And they just added PS layers? Really.

50one
03-15-2013, 02:30 AM
The only thing that annoys me about the Mari & Foundry, is the Fact that they own MODO...that means that we rather won't see any improvements in the MODO painting capabilities, as there's no point to do this, since there is Mari - a dedicated tool that does that. To be honest, it is overpriced and I believe they would have more customers if they would lower the price to the same level as Zbrush. When Zbrush/Mudbox will upgrade it's painting capabilities, they will have to lower the price.