PDA

View Full Version : Convert Poly Surface to 2 point poly network

CourtJester
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a plugin or command that converts a poly mesh into a 2-point poly cage (where the 2 point polys occupy what were previously the edges). I just don't have any idea what it's named, so I don't know what to look for.

Help!

daforum
03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Try these:

Borderline: http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/borderline/
Curves/ Polygons to Lines: http://www.lwplugindb.com/plugin/curvespolygons-to-lines/

Hope they help :)

omichon
03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
1. Lasso select edges from your object
2. Copy Edges (using JW Tools : http://www.lwplugindb.com/contains/jw%20tools/)
3. Paste to a new layer
Done. Thanks to James Willmott :)

CourtJester
03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Ctrl-C edges, paste, done. As easy and logical as that? I've been a LW user too long to even bother trying the logical and obvious first ;) I've never been an edges user, so I've pretty much never used Edge editing. Thanks everyone!

lertola2
03-14-2013, 08:08 PM
3. Paste to a new layer

This is very interesting. I have been in the habit of selecting polygons, beveling, converting selection to points and deleting the points to get poly lines. This looks like it might make a faster work flow. I wish that the copy edges command did not deselect the edges. That makes no sense.

jameswillmott
03-14-2013, 08:15 PM
I wish that the copy edges command did not deselect the edges. That makes no sense.

It does when you consider that a copied edge IS a polygon and that when you paste it , it assumes you want to edit the polygons and is already in the correct mode. If there is enough calls for it to change it can be done but those are the reasons it is the way it is currently...

lertola2
03-14-2013, 09:56 PM
It does when you consider that a copied edge IS a polygon and that when you paste it , it assumes you want to edit the polygons and is already in the correct mode. If there is enough calls for it to change it can be done but those are the reasons it is the way it is currently...

Well I don't like the fact that the edges are deselected. What workflow is the deselection speeding up? I would like to have an easy way to turn polygons into poly lines. Because copy edges drops the selection I can't delete the original polygons or move them out of the way. So copy edges is not an easy way to make that happen.

omichon
03-15-2013, 01:03 AM
Another solution if you are a LWCAD user.
Only two steps, can't be faster IMO.
Poly To Curve, then Curve to Polyline (using 2 point polygon mode).
Thanks Viktor :)

jeric_synergy
03-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Won't STRANDMAKER already do this? As an illustration:

NEW OBJECT
Make SPHERE
Hit STRANDMAKER -- note that layer 2 is now occupied
Switch to layer 2
Note existence of 1pt polys - delete if desired
MERGE POINTS

Wallagh!

Nothing against James' plugin, but we already got this (that is, no dl required). I think the "action happens invisibly in a different layer" works against STRANDMAKER's popularity-- it confuses users when nothing apparently happens.

This is similar to the "did I make a map or not?" UI debate. Ahhh, THAT was a good donneybrook.

Personally I think a visual alert for those type of hidden/subtle operations would be a Good Idea. Like a slowly fading flashbulb or color.

+++
About Selection/Deselection: rather than James literally changing it, depending on the 'vote', I suggest two different versions: people can use the one they prefer, or both, depending on what they are doing, and without recourse to the Numeric Panel.

+++
EDIT: one downside of Strandmaker: it appears to ignore Selection status, and does the entire visible mesh every time. It DOES respect HIDDEN/SHOWN status, so you can use that to limit the generation of the 2-pt polys.

omichon
03-15-2013, 03:54 AM
For me, JW_tools is the best option for this job since it will preserve all vertex information unlike LWCad or Strandmaker.

zardoz
03-15-2013, 04:52 AM
in modeler if you replace Copy in CTRL-C with CopyEdges and if you have nothing selected it will copy polygons, if you have points selected it will copy points, and if you have Edges selected it will copy edges. It doesn't work only for edges.

jeric_synergy
03-17-2013, 02:39 PM
3. Paste to a new layer
I was following this procedure when I noticed in a Perspective/Texture window, I could NOT Select the resulting 2point polys.

in both TEXTURE and SMOOTH SHADE mode, couldn't Select. (!!!) Selected fine in every other vumode.

Peculiar, no?

Thanks for the process!

jeric_synergy
03-19-2013, 04:00 PM
in modeler if you replace Copy in CTRL-C with CopyEdges and if you have nothing selected it will copy polygons, if you have points selected it will copy points, and if you have Edges selected it will copy edges. It doesn't work only for edges.
I checked this out, and simply went ahead and replaced COPY on "C" for COPY EDGES. Should work transparently, pretty much.