PDA

View Full Version : Genoma: Updating posed rig

Chrusion
03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
How do you update an already posed and animated Genoma rig WITHOUT loosing ALL motions and bone settings?

I've tried Load Items From Scene > Merge Motion Envelopes Only, but that just brings in a second copy of my character and it's bones and obviously all their saved motions. Then I tried the same, but deselecting all items. That was the same as clicking cancel... obviously nothing added and no motions loaded onto the updated rig.

I fail to see the logic in posing and animating a rig, only to loose it all when you discover you need to fine tune the deforms by adding an extra control or bone to the Genoma rig in Modeler, then clicking Update Rig in Layout, which resets EVERYTHING to defaults... all motions wiped, all keys deleted, all bone params reset.

Spinland
03-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how it works. In the documentation it is stressed that you need to make sure you have the rig tested, tweaked and finished before you start to animate it. Failing that, all Genoma does is create a regular Layout rig so at this point you can still add stuff using normal Layout tools.

Chrusion
03-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Hermph. Well, even with that said, how does one know a rig is fully up to specs unless one spends the time to animate all parts at once to see if the rig is up to specs in the first place? Anyway, someone will be making some $$ when they come up with a 'Save Gemona Motions and Properties' plugin/utility to do just that. It would be me if I knew how to program... hehe

nickdigital
03-14-2013, 11:05 AM
If the position of your controls haven't changed you could try using MultiMotionGN to export/load the animation.
http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/index.htm

Chrusion
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Re. adding items to an existing Genoma rig in Layout, how do you add a controller to the floating end of a tendon rig? That is, one end IS attached to the character's shoulder, the other is floating in the pectoral muscle, but now I want it to be "attached" to something that can be parented to the character so that the floating end moves with the character instead of being fixed in space? That is, it moves when the whole character mesh is moved, but not when it is being deformed by the rig (twisting/bending the spine/hips).

Chrusion
03-14-2013, 12:09 PM
If the position of your controls haven't changed you could try using MultiMotionGN to export/load the animation.
http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/index.htm
Hmmm... the save script did save all selected items (all those that were unlocked) as separate .mot files per the readme, but the load script acts like it wants to save a file. That is, when I open the select location dialog to point it to the folder with all the .mots in it, the dialog has a SAVE button, instead of Select or Open. It remains inactive until I select a file. After selecting one, the load script says "Overwrite the existing file?" Huh? I say yes anyway and get the "Can't open file." If I manually enter the folder path, leaving the file name after the last slash blank, I get the same "can't open file." This is with 64-bit LW.

Any other multiple motion saving scripts out there?

lino.grandi
03-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Re. adding items to an existing Genoma rig in Layout, how do you add a controller to the floating end of a tendon rig? That is, one end IS attached to the character's shoulder, the other is floating in the pectoral muscle, but now I want it to be "attached" to something that can be parented to the character so that the floating end moves with the character instead of being fixed in space? That is, it moves when the whole character mesh is moved, but not when it is being deformed by the rig (twisting/bending the spine/hips).

If you could share your Genoma rig, I would be really happy to help you solving this problem. ;)

Chrusion
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
It's not adding a controller to the end of the tendon in Modeler that's in question... done that. I want to do it in Layout, because the rig without the controller is already animated and I'll loose all of it if I update the rig.

vncnt
03-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Use (the internal) Keyframer.

See also: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133657-Restore-animation-after-Genoma-Update-Rig&highlight=keyframer

khan973
03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Genoma is a script, it uses regular bones, nulls, so anything you want to add shouldn't cause any problem.

Greenlaw
03-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Anyway, someone will be making some $$ when they come up with a 'Save Gemona Motions and Properties' plugin/utility to do just that. It would be me if I knew how to program... hehe

As NickDigital suggests, you could use Faulknermano's MultiMotionGN (http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/index.htm) plugin. Bear in mind that the tool assumes the hierarchy hasn't changed. But if you change the rig that much, you should probably make a new test animation for it anyway.

Alternatively, you could simply save an animation on your old rig as an .lws, and then use Load Items From Scene - Merge Only Motion Envelopes to transfer the motions to your new rig for testing. This method also assumes the hierarchy hasn't changed.

G.

Chrusion
03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
As NickDigital suggests, you could use Faulknermano's MultiMotionGN (http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/index.htm) plugin. See post #6. Load does not work.

RebelHill
03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
See post #6. Load does not work.

It does work... but its a lil "gotcha-ey"... Its use is shown here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqasigvT3qI

Btw... this whole, change the rig after animating thing... did I mention RHiggit can do that?

Chrusion
03-14-2013, 09:20 PM
I installed version 2.0, but it doesn't look the same. Yours had load and save buttons. The one I have has separate LSCs for load and save.

I don't understand the dot M2L extension part. Did I see right that you had already created a new folder before saving motions and that you named it with this .M2L extension? Or did the folder NOT have an extension, but you had to add a dummy extension in the select location dialog, so you just ARBITRARILY entered M2L manually AFTER selecting it's parent folder? That is, any extension will do? If not, how in the world did you discover it had to be M2L and why?

RebelHill
03-15-2013, 04:14 AM
Its def not an extension to a folder... as for how or why... gawd, I dont remember, Ive used this thing since ages now.

here's my version if you wanna try it.

Chrusion
03-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Excellent. Thanks.