PDA

View Full Version : New Installation 11.5 x32 - Modeler crashes everytime - Config file empty

short223
03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Attempted to install 11.5 (win 32 bit version) on my laptop. V 11 was already installed and worked fine. Started Layout with no problems. Modeler starts up and after a few second without doing anything, will crash. Noticed a config file with a size of zero (opened in text editor reveals nothing inside). If I open modeler, then close, it gives me the same crash error. I deleted all the configs and restarted but still a crash with modeler.

Any clues? Do I need to uninstall 11 before re-installing 11.5?

Sorry if this was brought up before but didn't see anything relevant on the search.
Thanks!

LightFreeze
03-17-2013, 07:10 AM
have you redirected the config files?
If you don't do this both versions will use the same configs and you will have issues.

from the LW11 readme pdf

Desktop Shortcuts to Redirect the Config Files
1) For Windows systems, enter the [username]\LightWave folder created by LightWave.
2) Create a new folder named “Configs”.
3) Open the Configs folder and copy the path.
4) Navigate to the folder where LightWave 11 is installed, and enter the bin folder.
5) Find the Layout.exe file.
6) Right-click and choose Create Shortcut
7) Right-click on the new shortcut and choose Properties
8) For Target, go to the end of the path and type -c
9) Paste the Configs path to the end of -c. If you have any spaces in the
Config path, put the path in quotation marks. The path should look
something like this (your exact path may be different):
C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.0\bin\Layout.exe -c”C:\Program Files\NewTek\
LightWave11.0\support\Configs”
10) Repeat steps 5-9 for Modeler.exe
11) Use the shortcuts you created each time you open the software.

BeeVee
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
have you redirected the config files?
If you don't do this both versions will use the same configs and you will have issues.

from the LW11 readme pdf

Actually they won't. If you don't redirect this is what your Users\<USER>\.NewTek\LightWave directory looks like on a Windows 7 machine:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2807104/forum/CUsersBeeVee.NewTekLightWave_2013-03-19_01-10-57.png

B

short223
03-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Yeah, it is going to its own 11.5 folder. I'm just on Vista however. I'll try uninstalling and doing a fresh install and see if that helps. Thanks!