PDA

View Full Version : Bullet softbody melting

akademus
03-14-2013, 03:04 AM
Hey everyone,

I've been messing with this the whole morning now. My idea is to use bullet to pour icecream into the cone. However, I cannot seem to get upper part to pour down while retaining the base in more/less same shape.

Anyone has an idea? I attached screen grab and lw project...

OnlineRender
03-14-2013, 03:18 AM
did you assign weight map ?

akademus
03-14-2013, 03:34 AM
did you assign weight map ?

To what?

I'm trying to solve it with distance to null in Shape Retention and Damping Coeficient but it doesn't seem to work.

3DGFXStudios
03-14-2013, 04:06 AM
I tried something like that to. It looked to me like the weightmaps I created didn't work at all when assigned to the Shape Retention. The mesh filter isn't an option either since it doesn't respect the settings on the edges of the weightmap which is a really bad thing. I think the edges where the weight map stops working need to respect the stiffness settings. With the current implementation of the mesh filtering system you always get a sharp bending edge where the dynamics are "on/off". What you can do to fix this is make a mdd file and blend the mdd with the original mesh. This way you can have a weight map that really blends from 0 to 100. Mixing mdd would be an option to. If you like the simulation of the bottom part you can use that and blend them with a cool sim of the top part.

bazsa73
03-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Quite a shallange!

akademus
03-14-2013, 04:49 AM
I tried something like that to. It looked to me like the weightmaps I created didn't work at all when assigned to the Shape Retention. The mesh filter isn't an option either since it doesn't respect the settings on the edges of the weightmap which is a really bad thing. I think the edges where the weight map stops working need to respect the stiffness settings. With the current implementation of the mesh filtering system you always get a sharp bending edge where the dynamics are "on/off". What you can do to fix this is make a mdd file and blend the mdd with the original mesh. This way you can have a weight map that really blends from 0 to 100. Mixing mdd would be an option to. If you like the simulation of the bottom part you can use that and blend them with a cool sim of the top part.

Dumb question, but how do you blend two mdds?

EDIT: Found it http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?129179-How-to-mix-MDD

lino.grandi
03-14-2013, 06:12 AM
You can find some Bullet Dynamics melting scenes in the 11.5 content.

akademus
03-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Thanks Lino,

I already found chocolate ones. Very insightful.

Mdd blending seems to work. Not the happiest of solutions but it works nonetheless.

OnlineRender
03-14-2013, 07:28 AM
hmm I cant seem to remove the gradient texturing on the shape retention

akademus
03-14-2013, 07:37 AM
I noticed bullet wont refresh when you switch gradient on / off. You need to reset cache...

OnlineRender
03-14-2013, 08:16 AM
I got the top to drop but it just wobbled like jelly at the base , if I am honest I think bullet needs some more work

3DGFXStudios
03-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Bullet needs a simple way to blend kinematic and soft dynamics. Shape retention and mesh filter ins't good for that.
It also needs constraints springs and hinges.
For now bullet is only suitable for dropping stuff (almost)