PDA

View Full Version : Combining Genoma Layers

wingzeta
03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
I rigged an arm and hand with Genoma following the tutorial done by Mr. Grandi, and it worked well. He mentions in the tutorial that other layers of a model must be rigged separately, and then combined in Layout using "Load items from scene". I have an arm with a fur cuff. The fur is created with a layer of guides and fiberfx. I created a second identical rig in a different scene for the fur cuff guides. I loaded the items from scene, with both the arm mesh and it's bones, and the fur guides. I was hoping to end up with one rig controlling both layers (or at least something that works well). Is there a best way to achieve this. I've had mixed results, and trial and error is taking a lot of time, because it's prone to crash Layout if you do things a bit out of order it seems.

I had a feeling the "load items from scene" technique was intended to combine rigs controlling discreet parts of a model, rather than overlapping parts like I am attempting. I've got a few ideas I'm thinking about trying, but I would appreciate some of you more knowledgeable guys pointing me in the right direction if you have any ideas. Attached is a frame of the arm with the fur cuff so you know what I am talking about.

Thanks,

wingzeta
03-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Let me rephrase the question, since my original post might be confusing.

How do I get my layer of fur guides to stay attached to the rigged arm when it moves in Layout? I can only have one layer in genoma, and as far as I know, I need a second layer for my guides? I haven't used the rigging in LW much, and have never done it with ffx, so I'm just trying to get it figured out. I would like the deformations of the arm, and the fur to match. How do I get the bones controlling the arm to also control the fur guides? Any ideas?

Thanks.

lino.grandi
03-16-2013, 02:31 AM
This can be done in several ways. The 11.5 content should be able to suggest you several different ways to do that.

I'm not at my pc at the moment, but I'll be happy to help you with this.

The way to do this really depends on which kind of fibers you want to use, or, even better, on the final effect you need to accomplish.

For example, do you want dynamic fibers? Are you working with short or long guides?

For sure we will not abandon you. ;)

wingzeta
03-17-2013, 12:55 AM
Thanks for not abandoning me:thumbsup:
As far as the final effect; the fibers are short, and relatively stiff, so I might get away without dynamics for this shot. Of course it would be handy to know how to do it with dynamics as well, since many situations would call for that, and it might add a little extra realism for this.

Thank you for your help.

In the meantime, I'll take a look at the 11.5 content.