PDA

View Full Version : Again with the paths

jeric_synergy
03-12-2013, 09:59 PM
So, yesterday I saved a COPY of an object to a temp folder. Today, the temp folder is the target of the LOAD OBJECTS dialog, despite:

the Content Directory being correctly set and ;
USE CUSTOM PATHS being off.

QUESTION:
Shouldn't Layout defer to the standard Content Directory structure when USE CUSTOM PATHS is off?

The whole mishegas of never being quite certain where a given file dialog will take you is extremely annoying. Load a plugin, now your dialogs take you to the plugin directory instead of Objects, or Scene, or Images. This bit isn't rocket science, guys.

How can the same people who get subsurface scattering or anisotropic reflection right drop the ball on "leave the damn directories set to their defaults"? :devil:

Hail
03-13-2013, 04:36 AM
mmm.. I thought this issue was addressed in 11/11.5x

jwiede
03-14-2013, 02:01 AM
mmm.. I thought this issue was addressed in 11/11.5x
Nope, they might have addressed a few instances of it, but unfortunately dialog pathing is still generally an issue for LW in 11.x.

Danner
03-14-2013, 03:02 AM
If layout is open when you save an object to a different directory or with a different name, the path and new name are updated in the scene. If you save that scene it uses the newly saved object/path. If you want to make copies that don't get included in the scene, close layout before saving in modeler. Or don't save that scene before closing it.

Cryonic
03-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Not sure I understand. Is it changing the content directory or just remembering the last folder you wrote to? The latter behavior sounds pretty normal for most applications. The former sounds like a bad issue. Granted, if I open a file from a folder called "Objects" LW asks if I want to change the content directory to be the parent folder of the "Objects" folder. Which I usually say yes to since I'm changing projects when I do this, heheh.

jeric_synergy
03-22-2013, 01:51 PM
It also retains paths from previous sessions not on the Content path (wth?), and just generally is rubbish.

At the very least, a RESET button to say "Just use the damn Content Path" would be nice. But I definitely don't want to be directed to my plugins directory when I'm trying to load an Object (a typical example).

Cryonic
03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Ahh, so it is behaving like every other application out there when it comes to the open command...

jeric_synergy
03-26-2013, 09:51 AM
SO? Other applications don't have a Content Path with multiple directories that are supposed to assist the user, not make his/her life harder.

The 'feature' is rubbish and they should make it work.

Cryonic
03-30-2013, 05:05 PM
But you "broke" from the content path by saving outside of it. So, the open command remembers where you last were. Just as it does when I save to a folder deeper inside my content path, like <project name>/objects/sub-dir/sub-dir2/sub-dir3/file.lwo. Which would you prefer, that it always returns to the base path within the content directory? or only return to subdirectories within the content directory? or what? Since it can't read your mind, it does the next best thing and just goes to the last place you went to with it (save/open).