PDA

View Full Version : Architectural lighting

raja_singh1
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi,
I have been reading about radiosity and all, lots of good technical knowledge, but no realistic rendered scene is provided to study the light placements. Is there any such realistic scene to study, as its too difficult to achieve the impressive results seen in the gallery

Regards
Raj

JonW
03-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Not that I'm aware of.

Lighting, I think Thomas Edison sums it up perfectly "I learnt 10,000 ways how not to make a light globe!" I feel it's the same with LW or any other software, its a lot of trial & error, with a lot of error, the more error the better to learn.

I do the same work over & over but lighting is different in every job. There are so many different combinations of lighting & the way it interacts with everything else, I don't think one can simplify all the settings.

Just looking at one light in a scene, you might change from linear, to inverse square, then fiddle with the distance & also in relation with the light output & it's colour. Then things all change if you change radiosity. Then you may want the shadows slightly off black. Then it's all relative to other lights, & also relative to each of the objects surface qualities. Also if you have got a deadline you may turn down quality but you know what you can get away with depending on the end usage. All this take years of experience & everyone has their own subtleties of achieving an end result. You also need to understand what the customer actually needs, you may see a final image as perfect but the client has a completely different perspective on what they think or "may think" they need!

I would start with a simple scene of something you are familiar with & play around with the lighting. Anyone can make a run of the mill job but it takes time & dedication so your work inches above the masses. The really good scenes, there is a wealth of subtleties behind them & even if one picked apart the scene it's probably not going to help, as much it done in post. Which in itself is another process to learn!

Afalk
03-13-2013, 05:18 AM
Visit the 3dTotoal shop -- the LW Enviornmental Lighting tutorial is a pretty nice rundown on lighting approaches - and affordable. Then I'd hit the Architectural section of this forum and mine the posts for information -- there is some just tremendous information in there!

raja_singh1
03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your advices, really appreciate

Snosrap
03-13-2013, 09:46 PM
My advice is to make sure you have either FPrime or LW10 or newer with VPR. It will enhance and speed up learning in a major way.