PDA

View Full Version : "Videoblocks" - scam or what?

jeric_synergy
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
I get a lot of spam from "Videoblocks" saying they have all sorts of free downloads, but also asking a CC#.

Are they legit, or what?

jrandom
03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
If you're not buying a product and they ask for your credit card number, that's a scam.

OnlineRender
03-12-2013, 06:27 PM
if it feels wrong it is wrong!

Spinland
03-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Did a little digging at Ripoff Report and it seems the majority of the disgruntled posters neglected to jump through all the necessary hoops to cancel before the 7 days were up, at which time you have agreed to be billed monthly for the service. They apparently don't notify you or anything, just quietly start billing your card.

Dexter2999
03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
I think the CC# thing is so you sort of get hooked into the subscription. You give them the info. They don't bill you...at first. But if you don't go in and cancel befor the trial period is up you get auto enrolled/billed for the next period.

Same thing I believe as Netflix and Audible, free trial but they want your info. I could be wrong though. I'm pretty sure it happened with me at Audible. Been too long to remember correctly for Netflix, I canceled it when they split off the disc service anyway.

jeric_synergy
03-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Clip art is rarely satisfactory anyway. THANKS FELLAS!

sukardi
03-12-2013, 06:53 PM
I never give out credit card number to get free stuffs. At the very worst, if they accept paypal, I may consider because it is so much easier to cancel...

cosbovfx
03-12-2013, 08:15 PM
I have done their free 7 days of downloads several times, I did it once several years ago, and they gave a another free 7days a couple months ago. I had my brother make an account, so I could get some more footage, and I also told my mom about it (she edits videos as a hobby) and she was able to get some footage to use.

In all these cases we have never had a issue, I was able to get alot of useable stock footage. I downloaded 24gigs worth in my trial periods.

Then I just canceled before the 7 days were up and have never had a problem. Canceling is quite easy.

I Think the 7 day trial is a great deal, as long as you can remember to cancel it before the trial is up.

All the footage I downloaded was HD 1920x1080, in Mjpeg, or photojpeg format. Not all the footage is progressive, so you have to deal with interlacing, but that is relatively easy to fix

It is not a scam. You just have to remember to cancel.

Megalodon2.0
03-12-2013, 08:19 PM
I've not had a problem with this company. I've purchased quite a bit of their "FREE STUFF" where you just pay for the shipping. Lots of AfterFX projects and looping backgrounds.

AFAIK there is nothing dodgy about this company. Bought there for the last three years or so with zero problems. I don't know about the download stuff since I purchased physical DVD's, but I would expect them to work well.

jrandom
03-12-2013, 08:22 PM
I probably should have checked out their website first -- says up-front: "Subscription-based stock footage". So less of a scam and more of a "read the fine print" kind of place. :)

wesleycorgi
03-12-2013, 08:27 PM
I've used them without a hitch; I have an "all you can eat" annual subscription for $99. They are aggressive in their emarketing, but are transparent with their practices. Their stock video is okay and they have some interesting AE templates and music clips.

jeric_synergy
03-12-2013, 09:33 PM
So less of a scam and more of a "read the fine print" kind of place. :)
That's what I figured.

Now, if I had a use for their stuff....

Shawn Farrell
03-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Well, you don't need a credit card, just your email to 100 FREE production music soundtracks from The SoundTraxx Music Library Volume I. Just visit http://www.soundtraxxmusic.com/ and enter your email for the download link of 100 high-quality & a wide variety of mp3's to enhance your productions with!:jam:

jeric_synergy
03-14-2013, 12:47 AM
Well, you don't need a credit card, just your email to 100 FREE production music soundtracks from The SoundTraxx Music Library Volume I. Just visit http://www.soundtraxxmusic.com/ and enter your email for the download link of 100 high-quality & a wide variety of mp3's to enhance your productions with!:jam:

I'll give that a listen. THANK YOU!

sukardi
03-14-2013, 06:40 AM

Yeah, i've got yours. Thank you so much...

rcallicotte
03-15-2013, 08:16 AM
I have purchased a few of the "free items" for the 8.95 postage and it's worth it - sounds and film clips, etc. Here's an example of some doodling around in AE with one of these clips - http://www.galacticportals.com/downloads/elephantastic.flv

As for the 7 day trial, just like any trial - if you don't want it, cancel before the time is up or you will be charged just like the company says.

JamesCurtis
03-15-2013, 11:10 PM
FootageFirm.com is another good deal. Can't really go wrong for $8 or $9 and change. You're technically just paying S&H. Never had any issues with them either. Not exactly sure how the artists/animators/videographers make money, but the price is sure right. Even if you get just one or two clips that are usable it'd be well worth the cost. Most shipping is a bit less than what you pay, so maybe it's made that way. The product comes on DVD-R's.

VideoBlocks
10-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Hey all, we are a bit late on the reply but glad to have the conversation! VideoBlocks provides a free trial of 20 downloads a day for 7 days and a membership allows you to download unlimited clips for $99 annually, a price that can't be beat!. Like Audible and Netflix, a credit card is required at the beginning of the trial to limit the offer to one per customer. To avoid being charged for a membership, simply cancel before the trial ends or tell our customer service team and you will not be billed- it's that simple! If you happen to be billed and don't download anything after the trial just let us know and we can easily issue a refund. Hope this helps!