PDA

View Full Version : A probably-silly question about some of the avatars here

Spinland
03-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Every now and then I note an avatar incorporating some variation on a bar of alternating black and yellow diagonal marks. I'll come right out as someone not "in the know" who's curious about the significance.

Thanks in advance!

UnCommonGrafx
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Um...
Nah...

It is what was Core.

And, um, best you use search than dredging up all that this question can.

Chuckling, I even wear the tshirt out in public, hoping no gaggle of guys gather, pointing and lol at me...

nickdigital
03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
It's a reference to the Core version of LW. The promo for that version involved a red button and that yellow/black warning stripe. The promotion of it involved a website with a counter where over time more and more of the website was revealed. It was actually really clever and it generated a lot of excitement. The actual reveal at the end was a bit "meh". It was a video presentation of what the new version of LW, Core, is going to be but no tech was actually presented.

So the buildup was a lot of fun and well done from a promo/marketing standpoint. The actual payoff was disappointing. And then Core itself is a subject that's been well discussed in the forum.

So long story short...it's people modding their avatar to reflect the excitement that was the Core buildup.

Spinland
03-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Okay, I'll withdraw the question--but I must add that search here turned up nothing informative, not surprisingly since I had zero context to know what to search for. ;)

(and thanks)

Dexter2999
03-12-2013, 06:30 PM
search is broken anyway, far as I know. You get better results using Google "Newtek" "Lightwave" "Forum" then use whatever subject you want to know about.

Spinland
03-12-2013, 06:41 PM
That's a great idea. Actually, come to think of it, I should be able to start the Google search string with "site:forums.newtek.com" and do pretty well searching this site. I'll file that away for future reference.

paulhart
03-14-2013, 06:36 PM
As noted, it was the build up to the CORE release, and the "insiders" who opted in joined in the fun by incorporating parts of the CORE look into out avatars. Mine still reflects that long lost adventure, and I have never changed it back. The current work by Newtek is very encouraging, but there are still aspects of CORE that await implementation.
Paul

hrgiger
03-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Mine is just in rererence to the idea that you want it to maybe look like LightWave on the outside, but you want the inside to be CORE integrated architecture.

prometheus
03-15-2013, 02:40 AM
Mine is just in rererence to the idea that you want it to maybe look like LightWave on the outside, but you want the inside to be CORE integrated architecture.

That seems actually to be the way the direction took, glad it didnīt go full out of all the drastic look changes, I just wish more of the core stuff presented then could have been implemented earlier and faster, still
awaits some tech showcased there.

Michael

Lewis
03-15-2013, 03:15 AM
That seems actually to be the way the direction took,............

Hmm, can you elaborate this little more? How is it that direction? I don't see any connection editor (all nodal), history (proper undo), modifier stack, parametric NON destructive modeling, referencing, modeling instancing or unified app in LW now, thats 3 years after CORE project is gone/dead?

is it LW progressed, hell yes it is no doubt there, they made great job with 11/11.5 but under the hood and in general i don't see much (or any) CORE here (don't mixup features with what core was, yes we got bullet and yes we got instancing but both of them were different code/work in CORE)

Snosrap
03-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Hmm, can you elaborate this little more? How is it that direction? I don't see any connection editor (all nodal), history (proper undo), modifier stack, parametric NON destructive modeling, referencing, modeling instancing or unified app in LW now, thats 3 years after CORE project is gone/dead?

is it LW progressed, hell yes it is no doubt there, they made great job with 11/11.5 but under the hood and in general i don't see much (or any) CORE here (don't mixup features with what core was, yes we got bullet and yes we got instancing but both of them were different code/work in CORE) Yep - it's obvious they need to beef up their development team to get Core infrastructure in LW and meet their 3 year plan of doing so. IMO the Core infrastructure rocked! The toolkit (QT) however, sucked - and I think that was the underlying cause of failure of the Core as an application. It looks like the current toolkit is being addressed as evidence in some of the new modeler tools where the numeric panel changes and has new options based on choices made using the tool. I'm very happy with 11.5, but modeler is getting long in the tooth as far as poly pushing performance. Core rocked in that area too and was better in an alpha state than most shipping apps today - including Max and modo.

hrgiger
03-15-2013, 08:16 AM

is it LW progressed, hell yes it is no doubt there, they made great job with 11/11.5 but under the hood and in general i don't see much (or any) CORE here (don't mixup features with what core was, yes we got bullet and yes we got instancing but both of them were different code/work in CORE)

+1

Yeah, after all this time I dont' see a lot of CORE in the way LW has progressed. Cherry picking features from CORE, yes, but structure wise and the things you've mentioned here, no. I think LightWave 11 and 11.5 have been good releases but I'm still going along with LightWave because we were told that even though the method at which they develop LightWave is different, that the destination is still the same. I'm really hoping that wasn't just said to placate a lot of unhappy users who had thrown their support behind the CORE project.

prometheus
03-15-2013, 09:49 AM

Well.thats what I said"I just wish more of the core stuff presented then could have been implemented earlier and faster, still
awaits some tech showcased there."

Vpr,Bullet mainly, otherwise quite a lot is missing

Michael

Megalodon2.0
03-15-2013, 12:54 PM
+1

Yeah, after all this time I dont' see a lot of CORE in the way LW has progressed. Cherry picking features from CORE, yes, but structure wise and the things you've mentioned here, no. I think LightWave 11 and 11.5 have been good releases but I'm still going along with LightWave because we were told that even though the method at which they develop LightWave is different, that the destination is still the same. I'm really hoping that wasn't just said to placate a lot of unhappy users who had thrown their support behind the CORE project.

Another +1

I hope it is the truth.

So far everyone is still ooooing and ahhhhing at the features - which ARE nice - but it's the underlying architecture that seriously needs the work.

I honestly hope Newtek is addressing this - and NOT over ten years-worth of upgrades.

Surrealist.
03-15-2013, 02:22 PM
lol.... depends on how you define that. A fully functioning new unified program that core was to be? That's a ten year plan minus the time spent roughly.

hrgiger
03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
I honestly hope Newtek is addressing this - and NOT over ten years-worth of upgrades.

If it takes them 10 years, so be it. I just would like some assurance that the whole destination is the same thing isn't just bunk. But when they bring features in like Genoma which are based on a split application workflow, it makes you wonder.

cagey5
03-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Okay, I'll withdraw the question--but I must add that search here turned up nothing informative, not surprisingly since I had zero context to know what to search for. ;)

(and thanks)

See what you've started Spinland with your innocent queries? Just when the place had calmed down and the pain of Core was beginning to ebb you had to come and pick away at the scab didn't you. Why did you do it man Why?? ;)

Spinland
03-15-2013, 04:03 PM
See what you've started Spinland with your innocent queries?

Mom always said I had a knack for finding trouble.

Silkrooster
03-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I have been a bit lazy on resetting the avatar. Maybe one day. LOL...

Megalodon2.0
03-19-2013, 12:54 AM
I just would like some assurance that the whole destination is the same thing isn't just bunk. But when they bring features in like Genoma which are based on a split application workflow, it makes you wonder.
THAT... would be the point.

As long as that end destination has not changed I'm okay with it. Not that that makes any difference to Newtek.

I would just sincerely like to know that this is STILL on the front burner and not "well... we'll get to it when we have some extra time." That would not be good, IMO.

shrox
03-19-2013, 01:59 AM
Mine's green, because of peas.

erikals
03-19-2013, 06:07 AM
If it takes them 10 years, so be it. I just would like some assurance that the whole destination is the same thing isn't just bunk. But when they bring features in like Genoma which are based on a split application workflow, it makes you wonder.

Matt / Rob said they were aware of the split issue about 6 months ago, so i think we will see something.
just what the solution will be, i have no idea...

hrgiger
03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Matt / Rob said they were aware of the split issue about 6 months ago, so i think we will see something.
just what the solution will be, i have no idea...

Yes, I've seen some conversations over Skype.

erikals
03-19-2013, 04:55 PM
hm, haven't been there, when was it posted?... any interesting info? http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

jeric_synergy
03-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Mine's green, because of peas.
You're a peas activist.

I agitate for whirled peas.

hrgiger
03-19-2013, 05:17 PM
hm, haven't been there, when was it posted?... any interesting info? http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Nothing of any substance, just to the effect that they were aware of the situation.

shrox
03-19-2013, 05:32 PM
You're a peas activist.

I agitate for whirled peas.

Now it's green because of Kermit Jello.