PDA

View Full Version : Can I move a light with a bone?

ConjureBunny
03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi,

I'm in the middle of rigging a complicated character right right now and can't test this. I spend 90% of my LightWave time in Modeler, and frankly don't know Layout that well at all (other than for rigging characters).

So I thought I'd just ask.

In Layout, can I parent a light to a bone? As in, make a light move around where the bones go.

Also, can I parent a camera to a bone? Same idea, where the bone's location is the camera's location.

Thank you!
-Chilton

jeric_synergy
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Yup, you can parent a light to a bone.

(Really, it's 'child', ---bugs me every time. A light can be a child to a bone.) I just used the Motions Panel. Nuthin' to it.

ConjureBunny
03-12-2013, 12:06 PM
First, thank you. That's what I was hoping.

Now about all them fancy words, I get that the light is a child of the bone, but would that happen by 'parenting' the light to the bone? Or would it be parenting the bone to the light?

-Chilton

nickdigital
03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
No, you'd be parenting the light to the bone.

This lscript by Lino is very helpful when dealing with this sort of task. Scrolling through the item list is a pain in the butt when you have a bunch of items. Or you can do it in the Scene Editor.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133631-Genoma-Updates-and-related-plugins

jeric_synergy
03-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Nah, it'd be CHILDING the light to the bone. ---In a sane world. ;)

ConjureBunny
03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
No, you'd be parenting the light to the bone.

This lscript by Lino is very helpful when dealing with this sort of task. Scrolling through the item list is a pain in the butt when you have a bunch of items. Or you can do it in the Scene Editor.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133631-Genoma-Updates-and-related-plugins

I saw a few there. Which one deals with this?

-Chilton

nickdigital
03-12-2013, 12:40 PM
I saw a few there. Which one deals with this?

-Chilton

You want the Motion Manager one specifically.

This youtube link shows how to use it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGn8CvDrGJ4

The one in the clip is an earlier version of the GMM but workflow is the same.

Dexter2999
03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Symantics I suppose. I never thought of the word "parenting" having a specific connotation of hierarchy order. Merely that it was the operation of creating the hierarchical relationship. But in this process (after creation) you always begin with the child and designate a parent, be it by drop down menu or drag-n-drop. Although in drag-n-drop you could drag the parent but I don't think that is common practice.

jeric_synergy
03-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Although in drag-n-drop you could drag the parent but I don't think that is common practice.
You can???

How "make an item the child of another item" came to be called 'parenting' is beyond me. (Not actually, but it still irritates me.) ;)

Dexter2999
03-12-2013, 06:47 PM
You can???

I think it happened to me once when I was moving things around in the Scene Editor. Maybe I am remembering incorrectly. (Very likely)