PDA

View Full Version : How to import / export .PLY files??

simno
03-12-2013, 10:04 AM
I've got a couple of .PLY files & a little online research suggests this is a fairly basic 3D file type.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to get these into Lightwave?

Straight up File/Load doesn't work, so I'm guessing I need a plugin or script??

Any and all help or advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.:)

Dexter2999
03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Use BLENDER to open the PLY file and save out as a LW friendly format such as OBJ.
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

jeric_synergy
03-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Thank buddhas for Blender.

Moi, I never heard of *.ply.

simno
03-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Thanks Dexter2999 for the Blender advice :)
Will that also give me a route to export from Lw via Blender to .PLY?

Thanks Jeric_synergy, I don't have Moi but it is on my wish list.

Dexter2999
03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=import%2Fexport+PLY+files+from+Blender

ConjureBunny
03-13-2013, 11:36 AM
I was looking at PLY a few days ago, for color printing. It's a pretty old format, but it should also be pretty easy to make an importer/exporter for it. Is this something you'd use often, or just this one time?

-Chilton

simno
03-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Went with the Blender route & it worked just fine for import.
Also noticed that 3D Coat handles .PLY too so there's another option if anyone already has 3DC in their box of tools.

Cheers.

iain_r
03-15-2013, 05:37 AM
Hi, an importer for ply files. You access via the normal file load object option from the menu. This can load ply files in Modeler and Layout. No export option yet as I haven't written it. It just does the points and polygons, no base colours or uv stuff. Zip contains 32 and 64 bit versions, normal caveats apply. I tested this with the blade and happly ply files from the Georgia Institure Large Models collection using LW 9.6 32 and 64bit.

Regards

Iain.

iain_r
03-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Hi,

Zip contains 32 and 64 bit plugins for the import and export of ply files, only points and polygons, no surface colours. If you try so export a file which has sub patches it will prompt to advise freezing or remove subpatches. It will default the location to the objects directory, you need to add the ply extension otherwise it will add lwo. I've tried this with v9.6 and v11.5.

You need to add the exporter to a button in modeler. I tried to use the SRVTAG in the sdk to automatically put it into File/Export but it doesn't work with Modeler. The plugin is in the file section of plugin types when looking to edit menus.

Regards

Iain.