PDA

View Full Version : Python Horizon

Snosrap
03-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Why does it exist? It seems to have the exact same features as the regular Gradient Backdrop - only it crashes LW when VPR is activated. :) It is also terribly slow - just press F9 and see for yourself. So I ask the question- why?

prometheus
03-12-2013, 02:39 AM
might just be there for showcase sample and developers, I see nothing of use for it though.
So Your question is quite justified which I also share.

Michael

Red_Oddity
03-12-2013, 03:43 AM
It's a code example, people endlessly complain there's never enough examples and documentation for LW, so i can see why they included it, in this case i guess Newtek damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Red_Oddity
03-12-2013, 03:44 AM
*double post* Chrome is on the fritz.

prometheus
03-12-2013, 03:53 AM
useful samples are useful, if not.. they arent for most people, and could be posted on development threads, to much unnecessary things added where other things are needed.

:) :)

Michael

Red_Oddity
03-12-2013, 05:14 AM
Well, then people complain they can't find it.

Maybe a better way would be to include it in the install, but in a folder that isn't scanned by the plugin manager automatically, and make mention of it in the manual. That way people don't have a whole slew of plugins that are duplicate plugins just for coding examples cluttering up LW.

Snosrap
03-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Example huh. Not a very good one though as it shows how slow I guess Python scripts can be. I would think that they would just make the samples available for download for those that are interested in such things.

Red_Oddity
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
It's not the script, i think there is some horribly wrong with Pcore (the python wrapper) when it comes to the Handler Interface.
Creating a Environment Python plugin that does absolutely nothing, already incurs a HUGE rendering time penalty (for example, rendering a python environment plugin which just passes through the evaluation method (no getting and settings of any data at all) takes over 22 seconds for a 720p image, removing the plugin takes 0 seconds to render.)

As an example it teaches us 2 things:
1, How to create a python environment plugin that renders a horizon.
2, that Pcore is horribly broken and useless in production.