PDA

View Full Version : Octane Render for Lightwave is OUT. :-)

ActionBob
03-11-2013, 07:37 PM
This baby is OUT...

Thanks to the hard work that went into releasing this plug-in.

Get it at: http://render.otoy.com/

If you have a beefy cuda enabled graphics card, happy rendering!

-Adrian

OnlineRender
03-11-2013, 09:15 PM
love you...

awesome work Juan Gonzalez

chikega
03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Suh-weet! :)

GraphXs
03-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Nice!

Thomas Helzle
03-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Ha - finally Octane has a nice interface.
And just 2 days before I get my new machine - great timing :-)

Cheers,

Tom

ActionBob
03-12-2013, 10:40 AM
I have only played with it a little bit. However, I am getting great feedback from IPR. This is my setup.

i7 3970 (6core - 12 hyperthreaded). 1x680 GTX (2 gig ram) and 1x 250GTS (for display only 512 meg).

I was going to buy another card for display when I remembered that I had this old, unused GTS 250 lying around. Now I use that for my display card and the 680 as the Octane render beast. It is very nice.

Installation of the program, plug-in and integration into lightwave was easy and it works great (within the current limits of what Octane can do).

Just remember that if you have some geometry that are n-gons with lots of wacky shapes, triple them and they will render fine.

I stayed home from work today.. wasn't feeling well...... erm.. yeah.... I guess I will have to delve into the nodes of Octane and figure out the proper way of setting up a scene... Poor me!

COBRASoft
03-12-2013, 11:19 AM
My biggest problem is adding images/textures. Everything has to be UV mapped I guess. Juan provided a cubic mapper, but I have no idea how to use that node.

There are so many settings/options within the 'limited' set of nodes Juan already provided in this version. Rendering a cube with nice soft reflections is going already for me :).

OlaHaldor
03-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Interesting. Anyone up for a video of Octane in LightWave ?

Thomas Helzle
03-12-2013, 11:26 AM
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29230

juanjgon
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
My biggest problem is adding images/textures. Everything has to be UV mapped I guess. Juan provided a cubic mapper, but I have no idea how to use that node.

There are so many settings/options within the 'limited' set of nodes Juan already provided in this version. Rendering a cube with nice soft reflections is going already for me :).

It is easy, you only need to plug the UVMAP node into the normal input of the root surface node:
http://www.genesisvisual.com/LWOctane_docs/html_output/index.html?TheUVMAPnode.html

-Juanjo

COBRASoft
03-12-2013, 11:55 AM
^^Thanks Juan.

Btw, I get an instant crash of LW when I try to connect the output of the UV cubic mapper to the scaleX of an image texture (I know, wrong of me :)).

juanjgon
03-12-2013, 11:57 AM
^^Thanks Juan.

Btw, I get an instant crash of LW when I try to connect the output of the UV cubic mapper to the scaleX of an image texture (I know, wrong of me :)).

Thanks for report it, this is a bug, a node never must crash LW. I will test it.

-Juanjo

Celshader
03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Thank you for porting this render engine to LightWave! :boogiedow

My supervisor has a question. Does Octane Render offer any render buffer options for its output at this time? We have a compositing-heavy pipeline at our studio that relies heavily on render buffers.

m.d.
03-12-2013, 01:00 PM

My supervisor has a question. Does Octane Render offer any render buffer options for its output at this time? We have a compositing-heavy pipeline at our studio that relies heavily on render buffers.

Been using the beta for a while now...
They do have position depth normals ect ect along that line...but no spec diffuse ect....
Although Juan has made a global override node that could help with doing it manually it is not specifically implemented in the plugin or the standalone

juanjgon
03-12-2013, 01:04 PM

You have a kernel node that allow render some buffers (and a new wireframe mode not shown here) ... the problem is that you must render scene for each buffer (this render is really fast anyway)

-Juanjo

juanjgon
03-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Been using the beta for a while now...
They do have position depth normals ect ect along that line...but no spec diffuse ect....
Although Juan has made a global override node that could help with doing it manually it is not specifically implemented in the plugin or the standalone

Yes, currently you don't have diffuse, specular, glossy, shadow, etc. buffers.

-Juanjo

wyattharris
03-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Does Octane work with TurbulenceFD? Anybody tested this? I've got some money ready to burn my pants off and I'm trying to decide how best to spend it.

juanjgon
03-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Does Octane work with TurbulenceFD? Anybody tested this? I've got some money ready to burn my pants off and I'm trying to decide how best to spend it.

If you need volumetric rendering I think that it's not going to work. Currently Octane doesn't support volumetric rendering.

-Juanjo

3dworks
03-12-2013, 01:33 PM
mac version is next? ;)

juanjgon
03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
mac version is next? ;)

I hope that Otoy release the OSX SDK soon, but I can't give you a date for a OSX plugin release.

-Juanjo

khan973
03-13-2013, 03:32 PM

Why would you want that? It's better to export your effects and composite.

Thomas Helzle
03-13-2013, 04:08 PM
The activation scheme for Octane is a bit stupid.

I got my new machine today, deactivated Octane Standalone on the old one and installed on the new after half an hour. Works.
Then I installed Lightwave and wanted to install the plugin too.
Then I realized that I can't deactivate the plugin on the old machine if there is no Standalone active.

Now I have to deactivate the Standalone on the new machine, wait, activate on the old, deactivate the plugin, deactivate the standalone, wait, activate both on the new machine.
That's a bit over the top really. I mean, if I can't use the plugin without an active Standalone license, why not at least allow to DEACTIVATE it without a Standalone?

Grrrrrrr.....

Cheers,

Tom

juanjgon
03-13-2013, 04:39 PM
The activation scheme for Octane is a bit stupid.

I got my new machine today, deactivated Octane Standalone on the old one and installed on the new after half an hour. Works.
Then I installed Lightwave and wanted to install the plugin too.
Then I realized that I can't deactivate the plugin on the old machine if there is no Standalone active.

Now I have to deactivate the Standalone on the new machine, wait, activate on the old, deactivate the plugin, deactivate the standalone, wait, activate both on the new machine.
That's a bit over the top really. I mean, if I can't use the plugin without an active Standalone license, why not at least allow to DEACTIVATE it without a Standalone?

Grrrrrrr.....

Cheers,

Tom

You can desactivate your licenses using the Otoy web, in your account area (login, goto you account, pick OctaneLive accounts and there you can see your licenses with an option to deactivate them inside the page). Using the web page you don't need to enter in your Octane/Lightwave computer to deactivate the licenses.

-Juanjo

Thomas Helzle
03-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks juanjgon! That's at least better than the alternative.

Well, waiting another hour having no clue what that is supposed to accomplish...
Is it a problem for Otoy that people switch machines 20 times a day?

Thanks a ton, not your fault anyway!

Cheers,

Tom

juanjgon
03-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks juanjgon! That's at least better than the alternative.

Well, waiting another hour having no clue what that is supposed to accomplish...
Is it a problem for Otoy that people switch machines 20 times a day?

Thanks a ton, not your fault anyway!

Cheers,

Tom

You must check it, I think that after deactivate the license using the web you can activate other machine in less than an hour.

-Juanjo

Thomas Helzle
03-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Cool - it worked!

I'm very impressed by your plugin BTW!
I never used Octane because of it's interface but now it will see a lot more use at least until Thea Render is hopefully getting integrated one day. :-)

Thanks!

Tom

OlaHaldor
03-14-2013, 01:49 AM
I'm a bit on the fence here. So it's fast. How much faster? I know it's a question which is difficult to answer due to factors such as GPU and CPU power.
Would anyone benefit from using Octane? How does it compare to Kray or the default LW render engine?

I admit it's interesting, but I want to learn more. User experiences?

Danner
03-14-2013, 03:03 AM
There is a demo that will give you a good idea of the speed. (no LW integration demo yet but a stand alone) Download the sample scenes and play around with them. You can also import OBJs into the demo.

Thomas Helzle
03-14-2013, 03:40 AM
It's relatively fast for what it does - fully unbiased rendering.
If that is something that you need or want to do it's worth a try.

GPU-Rendering has a lot of drawbacks though, like the still limited GPU memory where everything in your scene has to fit in, certain options are absent (AFAIK Displacement, Volumetrics and some others).
And it's speed depends 100% on your GPU(s), so if you have two Titans, it should be blazing, on my 660 TI it's very fast but not exactly blazingly so (depending on used features of course.

Thea Renders Software-Preview is pretty close in speed on a good Machine for instance, and VPR is not bad either - at least without GI.

I bought the Octane standalone for 49.- Euro some years ago and together with the Lightwave Plugin Beta Price it was quite okay.
I don't think I would have gone for it for the full price right away.

I think it shines for visualization of Products and Objects and for smaller Architecture that fit's into GPU memory where you are after extreme realism.
That said, LWs internal renderer allows for much more creative freedom so IMO Biased and Unbiased work nicely together depending on the project.

Not sure if this helps. I don't know Kray so can't comment on that one.

Cheers,

Tom

juanjgon
03-14-2013, 03:54 AM
It's relatively fast for what it does - fully unbiased rendering.
If that is something that you need or want to do it's worth a try.

GPU-Rendering has a lot of drawbacks though, like the still limited GPU memory where everything in your scene has to fit in, certain options are absent (AFAIK Displacement, Volumetrics and some others).
And it's speed depends 100% on your GPU(s), so if you have two Titans, it should be blazing, on my 660 TI it's very fast but not exactly blazingly so (depending on used features of course.

Thea Renders Software-Preview is pretty close in speed on a good Machine for instance, and VPR is not bad either - at least without GI.

I bought the Octane standalone for 49.- Euro some years ago and together with the Lightwave Plugin Beta Price it was quite okay.
I don't think I would have gone for it for the full price right away.

I think it shines for visualization of Products and Objects and for smaller Architecture that fit's into GPU memory where you are after extreme realism.
That said, LWs internal renderer allows for much more creative freedom so IMO Biased and Unbiased work nicely together depending on the project.

Not sure if this helps. I don't know Kray so can't comment on that one.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom ... I can repeat a words from Boris Goreta, that resume why Octane is nice:

"It is fast, it is realistic, it is scalable just add another GPU and you have double render power and so on, it is easy to use, very few render parameters because it is unbiased, it gives you more creative freedom, you can work comfortably with SSS shaders, it sports transmission, that is translucency which also contributes to the lighting of other elements in the scene, you work with 16 GI bounces easily, it sports constant depth of field rendering which does not slow it down even with extremely shallow DOF, it is cheap, diffuse reflections are a piece of cake for Octane, it is fun to use, antialiasing is fantastic and the list goes on ... it can make your life easier, but it won't make you a better artist if you are not good already"

LW displacement and SDS works with Octane currently. And GPU memory management is really optimized in Octane, you can fit really huge scenes in 4GB, and with instancing you can render complex scenes ... remember that plugin can instance even the LW clones.

-Juanjo

Thomas Helzle
03-14-2013, 04:13 AM
hehehe - I should''ve kept my mouth shut until I worked with is some more.
Sorry for the wrong assumption it wouldn't support Displacement ;-)
I'll dive into it after my current Job is done.

Cheers,

Tom

juanjgon
03-14-2013, 04:16 AM
hehehe - I should''ve kept my mouth shut until I worked with is some more.
Sorry for the wrong assumption it wouldn't support Displacement ;-)
I'll dive into it after my current Job is done.

Cheers,

Tom

No problem at all Tom :)

Plugin convert the LW polygonal displacement and SDSs to Octane, and in a near future I hope that Octane could has it's own SDS/Displacement functions to pass to the GPUs only the base mesh.

-Juanjo

Thomas Helzle
03-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Ah - Okay, so I was at least half right ,-) I seemed to remember that Octane didn't have native Displacement.
Makes your Plugin even more valuable.

For those interested in the features that are supported:
http://www.genesisvisual.com/LWOctane_docs/html_output/index.html?PluginFeatures1.html
And which are not:
http://www.genesisvisual.com/LWOctane_docs/html_output/Lightwavefeaturesnotsupported.html

Cheers, :bowdown:

Tom

wyattharris
03-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Why would you want that? It's better to export your effects and composite.
Probably because I don't know what I'm doing. :D

I'm specifically looking for how skin is handled by Octane. Is it safe to assume that the LW plug-in would generate similar renders as to what's in the general gallery?

juanjgon
03-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Probably because I don't know what I'm doing. :D

I'm specifically looking for how skin is handled by Octane. Is it safe to assume that the LW plug-in would generate similar renders as to what's in the general gallery?

Yes, the LW plugin has all shading features of standalone and all other plugins, and the same workflow.

-Juanjo

Darth Mole
03-14-2013, 12:57 PM
"Octane is fun to use, antialiasing is fantastic and the list goes on ... it can make your life easier, but it won't make you a better artist if you are not good already"

Ah, crap.

COBRASoft
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
I start to miss motion blur. Had a small anim test today on a P5 LED wall and it really 'shocked'. Juan, it would be great if you could implement something for this :).

juanjgon
03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
I start to miss motion blur. Had a small anim test today on a P5 LED wall and it really 'shocked'. Juan, it would be great if you could implement something for this :).

Currently the only solution is average images. Render a few images for each frame and average them in post ... if you are going to render a frame for 5 minutes, for example, you can render 5 frames of 1 minute and later average them in post.

I hope that Octane give us good news about MB soon ;)

-Juanjo

COBRASoft
03-14-2013, 03:51 PM
I tried to render more frames and use motion blur of After Effects. Didn't really give a good result :(. I played the scene from Matt's robotarm (rendered with LW+MB) and it looked superb on the LED wall.

I must say, the colors of Octane were very nice displayed and my logo background with bump mapping was perfect.

juanjgon
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
I tried to render more frames and use motion blur of After Effects. Didn't really give a good result :(. I played the scene from Matt's robotarm (rendered with LW+MB) and it looked superb on the LED wall.

I must say, the colors of Octane were very nice displayed and my logo background with bump mapping was perfect.

Or you can try to render the MB vectors using LW and make the MB in post ... after all a lot of big studios export motion vectors and add MB in post, even working for example with Arnold, who has a great MB without add more render time.

-Juanjo

Danner
03-14-2013, 04:41 PM
I highly recommend Reel Smart Motion Blur for AfterFX. It can do automatic motion blur with no motion vectors that works quite well in many shots, it also supports vectors if you render them out. Shots where the auto motion doesn't work are things with very small repeating patterns, objects that move too fast and thin lines.

COBRASoft
03-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Juan, I'll have to search how to export these motion vectors from LW and how to use them in post. Thanks for the heads up.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a test with thin lines, indeed, doesn't work :).

tyrot
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
JUAN hello - i am watching that amazing sunflower field animation you have rendered. IS there any hope to have a scene file of that scene???

juanjgon
03-14-2013, 07:07 PM
JUAN hello - i am watching that amazing sunflower field animation you have rendered. IS there any hope to have a scene file of that scene???

Sorry, this scene is not mine, it is from one of the closed beta testers.

-Juanjo

mav3rick
03-15-2013, 07:41 AM
just checked final octane version .... first of all i have to thank Juanjo for all efforts regarding porting. It is quiet new technology and i would say for 1st implementation not bad... but there comes but... in my production environment current LIMITATION surpasses benefits i get from this plugin and so i dont see general use of this other than showing off muscles your gfx card has.
I hope v2 or 1.5 will have lot less limitations and one that puts me away from purchasing is lack of standard lw surfacing support, UV limitations, lw native lights, ray support (unseen), volumetics, buffers workround, mblur etc....

juanjgon
03-15-2013, 08:06 AM
just checked final octane version .... first of all i have to thank Juanjo for all efforts regarding porting. It is quiet new technology and i would say for 1st implementation not bad... but there comes but... in my production environment current LIMITATION surpasses benefits i get from this plugin and so i dont see general use of this other than showing off muscles your gfx card has.
I hope v2 or 1.5 will have lot less limitations and one that puts me away from purchasing is lack of standard lw surfacing support, UV limitations, lw native lights, ray support (unseen), volumetics, buffers workround, mblur etc....

Thanks for your words ... Octane has a very solid roadmap for this year and beyond (mblur, ray visbility, buffers, and a very long list of new features), but you must understand about surfacing or lights that Octane is a GPU render that can't work with CPU Lightwave shaders, materials, texture layers or LW lights. Octane for Lightwave is not FPrime ... it isn't a unbiased replace of Lightwave native render, it never is going to be able to render a Lighwave native scene with it's LW materials, shaders or lights using the GPUs. You are going to need to build your scene around Octane.

Arnold for Lightwave for example support near all LW texture nodes like procedurals, texture layers or a lot of native Lightwave lights because it is a CPU render that can evaluate at render time the LW shading or lighting functions. Anyway to get the best Arnold performace and feaures, you must use Arnold shaders, Arnold lights or Arnold custom object parameters. Again LWtoA is not FPrime.

I hope we can see a lot of new features in both Octane and LW plugin along this year ;)

-Juanjo

mav3rick
03-15-2013, 08:57 AM
thanks for reply Juanjo.
I am looking forward for features updates... regarding surfacing with nodes in lw.. since introduction of nodes in lw i was and still am most of time away from using it. lw linear surface editor is really fast and powerful in most cases. of course i do mix it with nodes from time to time. usually for AO, dielectrics, shadow catcher and some special materials . that said i am still traditionally oriented to standard surface editor with little touch of nodes in every project.

zapper1998
03-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your words ... Octane has a very solid roadmap for this year and beyond (mblur, ray visbility, buffers, and a very long list of new features), but you must understand about surfacing or lights that Octane is a GPU render that can't work with CPU Lightwave shaders, materials, texture layers or LW lights. Octane for Lightwave is not FPrime ... it isn't a unbiased replace of Lightwave native render, it never is going to be able to render a Lighwave native scene with it's LW materials, shaders or lights using the GPUs. You are going to need to build your scene around Octane.

Arnold for Lightwave for example support near all LW texture nodes like procedurals, texture layers or a lot of native Lightwave lights because it is a CPU render that can evaluate at render time the LW shading or lighting functions. Anyway to get the best Arnold performace and feaures, you must use Arnold shaders, Arnold lights or Arnold custom object parameters. Again LWtoA is not FPrime.

I hope we can see a lot of new features in both Octane and LW plugin along this year ;)

-Juanjo

Thank You for your hard work, it is awesome :)

All I can say is this is a step forward big time, for Lightwave...
The Power of Lightwave will R E A L L Y be seen Soon....

15 yrs of 3D and this is awesome stuff ....
"I have an architect friend, that came over and saw this in action, he allmost fainted when he saw Octane in action "

:)

tyrot
03-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Zapper I FEEL you brother.. Nothing will be the same...

JUAN, as far as i understand - if an object does not have an UVMAP - Octane UVMAP Node allowing us to add UVed Image. We can move-rotate-scale that image using Envelope setting of this node. This is SO cool.

Also when we HAVE an UVmapped Object - Octane UVMAP node - does the EXACT same things above. That is UBER cool.

Using that node we can easily animate IMAGES on a surface - with or without UVmap .. (of course for cubic polies).

khan973
03-15-2013, 11:48 AM
We're living a new era for LightWave and it feels good. Lots of cool stuff since 10.0.
When we get new particle system and advanced hypervoxels + unified nodal system, it will be killer!

Surprizingly, I haven't seen so many stuff done with Python. Have you?

COBRASoft
03-15-2013, 12:12 PM
I guess Python is more used inhouse in for pipeline stuff. Also, I've read somewhere that Python isn't fully integrated yet (don't know this). I haven't got any need for it so far.

UnCommonGrafx
03-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Juanjo,
This is awfully cool.

How does one go about making an animation within LW?

Working around Octane isn't so bad since it's still within the LW environment. That is just so cool.

khan973
03-15-2013, 05:49 PM
I guess Python is more used inhouse in for pipeline stuff. Also, I've read somewhere that Python isn't fully integrated yet (don't know this). I haven't got any need for it so far.

That's what I've heard too.
I've seen a video of a bridge LW > NUKE made with Python.

But it's not too advertised by Lightwave Group either.

zapper1998
03-15-2013, 06:18 PM
its coming together
finally figuring out this new toy
still have not put in my 3rd graphics card...
i thought i did but spaced it out during all the excitment....

Textured the crates and Lcd monitors

The edges are not zagged they are smooth and it was taking 30 to 45 minutes to render normally
Now it takes 1 1/2 minutes... wahoo
:)

Michael

3dWannabe
03-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Very excited about Octane, especially with a Titan going into a new box next week ... with room for two more.

I'll have to get my head around the concept that you must build the scene around Octane, and I'm yet a bit unclear.

In it's current state, will it work with exrTrader & Janus?

COBRASoft
03-15-2013, 07:21 PM
No render buffers or the like...

juanjgon
03-16-2013, 02:31 AM
thanks for reply Juanjo.
I am looking forward for features updates... regarding surfacing with nodes in lw.. since introduction of nodes in lw i was and still am most of time away from using it. lw linear surface editor is really fast and powerful in most cases. of course i do mix it with nodes from time to time. usually for AO, dielectrics, shadow catcher and some special materials . that said i am still traditionally oriented to standard surface editor with little touch of nodes in every project.

I was also traditionaly oriented to standard surface editor, but when I begin with Arnold development I discover how easy and powerful is working with nodes, and now I really don't understand why I was working with the surface editor and the "T" layers. Try nodes and you are not going to look back ;)

-Juanjo

- - - Updated - - -

No render buffers or the like...

Render buffers are in the development roadmap of Octane, I think. I hope to see them soon.

-Juanjo

VermilionCat
03-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi, Juanjo.
What you see in IPR is already gamma corrected in default.
Most of the time I render out Linear format so I have to use Camera Imager to set gamma to 1.
But if I do so, IPR no longer displays gamma corrected image.

tyrot
03-17-2013, 04:17 AM
VermilionCat - actually i have the same thing. Somehow i cannot achieve the same look i get from octane stand alone version...

Juan can you post some images of nodes for the optimum workflow - for images.. gamma settings etc.

juanjgon
03-17-2013, 05:51 AM
Hi, Juanjo.
What you see in IPR is already gamma corrected in default.
Most of the time I render out Linear format so I have to use Camera Imager to set gamma to 1.
But if I do so, IPR no longer displays gamma corrected image.

Octane has it's own gamma settings and tone mapping, you must always work with Lightwave gamma disabled (all settings to linear). Using the Octane gamma settings in the camera imager node you can see the gamma corrected image in both IPR and final render (F9/F10).

-Juanjo

juanjgon
03-17-2013, 06:00 AM
Anyway I understand the problem ... yes, gamma setting in the Camera Imager node is the same for IPR and for the final render, currently you can't have one setting for the IPR and other for the F9/F10. I will think about it, I can add an option to render final images in linear space without use the imager gamma settings, or I can add a gamma setting only for the IPR.

-Juanjo

prometheus
03-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Where´s the download for Lightwave?

Can only see max,maya and standalone here.

Michael

juanjgon
03-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Where´s the download for Lightwave?

Can only see max,maya and standalone here.

Michael

There is no demo version yet, you can buy the beta release in the Otoy site:
http://render.otoy.com/shop/

-Juanjo

VermilionCat
03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
I can add an option to render final images in linear space without use the imager gamma settings, or I can add a gamma setting only for the IPR.

-Juanjo

Thanks, Juan! It would be really great!
This thing is really fun. FUN. I wish I had a nice video card...

prometheus
03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
There is no demo version yet, you can buy the beta release in the Otoy site:
http://render.otoy.com/shop/

-Juanjo

Ah..that is no can do at the moment, Ill wait and see what the future brings.

Michael

Thomas Helzle
03-22-2013, 07:03 AM
After some more playing with it, my impression that with my relatively modest card (GTX660 TI) Octane is actually slower than Thea Render in unbiased Software mode (no ray depth limit) with my 6 core I7 OCed to 4.1 Ghz has been confirmed.

Now I theoretically could buy 4 Titan cards like some of the guys in the Octane Forums do together with the motherboard, powersupply etc. to support that, but for that kind of money, I could also buy 4-6 more of the machines I have now, which would work for more than just one specific renderer.
Somehow GPU rendering still has to convince me of it's usability and added value for the average user.
And it being "cheaper" doesn't hold water IMO either.

I also found that I prefer the much deeper Material system, the different available render kernels (from biased to unbiased, clay etc.) and the general approach of Thea over Octane. Together with it's perfect network render solution, it gives me a much more scalable and versatile solution for what I do - especially in combination with LWs already very good renderer and VPR.

I like the way the integration is done a lot, but Octane itself has some growing up to do.

YMMV of course ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

03-22-2013, 09:41 AM
IS Thea available inside LW?

erikals
03-22-2013, 09:44 AM
nope.

not so sure about the render speed though, i've seen other tests, it's not always that impressive.
it's hard to say, what horse to bet on, for animation at least...

03-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Hm.
Well, I have to say I haven't really looked at any of these renderers because they weren't within my purview. Or, better said, they weren't inside LW.
With Octane, though, I decided to give it a go. I am pleased with what it is. Love the look I can achieve with little work.

They beat everyone to our table and won my bet based on that. Now, I will get beefier vid cards and go from there. If Arnold is reasonably priced, I may even go for it.

It ain't great. But it's in a great program and that gets it pretty far. Here's to hoping the Octane team has a few more offerings to share with their next few updates.

erikals
03-22-2013, 10:21 AM
"If Arnold is reasonably priced, I may even go for it."

njet, it's quite costly :]

Octane is cool, and while there are other render engines out there, Octane has it's place :]

Kray3 is interesting, but will probably launch around 2014... (guessing)

gordonrobb
03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
What I find is that it is much faster than LW render to get realistic results (ie realistic materials and lighting - blurred reflections and DOF). This took minutes to setup, and 3-4 minutes (I didn't time it) to render.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, mesh is 5 millions tris

UnCommonGrafx
03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
I just want to state this: I give Kudos to the LW team for all they have in their renderer. Not being a renderjockey, some of this stuff seemed in the esoteric layer of the 3d world to me. With Octane, I can REALLY see all the hardwork that goes into Lw. That is to say, they have done a darn good job with their new team and Octane is proof of concept: make it right and they will come.

Now, home for a week to play with Octane! yay, rah to spring break.