PDA

View Full Version : Default.lws : "Default Scene" feature --??

jeric_synergy
03-11-2013, 02:34 PM
I expected the Default Scene feature to save a scene into the current Content Directory, and automatically load it when either

Layout was started the usual way, or
Layout was launched via Modeler

That is not the case here. Are there some fine details that need to be attended to?

++
EDIT: Like, in general, I'd like to START Layout with 3 lights in the standard Key, Back, and Fill positions. Named, if possible.

jeric_synergy
03-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Okay, here's what the dox say:

Note: Layout now recognizes a “default.lws” scene. If
you save a scene named “default.lws” in the root of
your Content Directory, each time you open Layout it
will open this scene.

BUT, when you use the SAVE SCENE AS DEFAULT feature, it:

does NOT save to the root of the Content Directory, it saves (properly IMO) to the Scenes folder, and;
using NEW SCENE does not load the new "default.lws", even if you've specifically placed a copy in the Content Directory root
neither does starting from the Desktop

Does this work for anybody? ::more checking:: AFAICT, it doesn't work at all here. :compbeati :2guns: :cursin:

Makes me grumpy.

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?57988_rl21v3hb

zardoz
03-11-2013, 08:05 PM
the default.lws can/should be in the scenes folder. and when you 'Clear Scene' or open layout it opens with this default.lws
I have a default.lws in my lightwave folder and I created a .bat file to setup my content folder (with scenes, images, objects, etc) and also the default.lws so it always works.

jeric_synergy
03-11-2013, 08:23 PM
the default.lws can/should be in the scenes folder. and when you 'Clear Scene' or open layout it opens with this default.lws
I totally agree w/that, and that IS how it saves, but the dox say something else.

I have a default.lws in my lightwave folder and I created a .bat file to setup my content folder (with scenes, images, objects, etc) and also the default.lws so it always works.

1) Are you using 11.5? 64 bit?

2) 11.5 (not sure when this was added) has a FILE menu choice SAVE SCENE AS DEFAULT. IMO it already works correctly, but the dox need to be corrected. (The file will go into the Scene folder, not "the root".

3) I can LOAD my default.lws. When I use NEW SCENE, Layout should immediately reload it. It does not.

All I can say is that's what happens here.

phillydee
03-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Hey I'm sorry in advance if I didn't read the post fully--but I had to toggle THIS button for my default scenes "default.lws" to load...

[edit] Man I'm going too fast tonight... greeeen tea! I hit post before I even realized. Geez. Anyway, I have content-specific default scene files that I want to clear LW to, and when I fresh-installed 11.5, I noticed it wasn't working. Like I mentioned above, I had to toggle "Clear Scenes to Default" on Preferences...

Hopefully this helps

jeric_synergy
03-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Hey I'm sorry in advance if I didn't read the post fully--but I had to toggle THIS button for my default scenes "default.lws" to load...
I'm not sure why you're apologizing when you TOTALLY SOLVED THE PROBLEM! :bowdown:

Thanks, that's really excellent, and heinously obscure. My obsolete recollection was that this was automatic, and was not optional.

Thank buddha! Now I can have my preferred lights and backdrop gradients the way I like 'em.

zardoz
03-12-2013, 01:35 AM
erm.... sorry jeric but what I said before, of course you need to have that option on. I thought that you had it on and couldn't get it to work.

jeric_synergy
03-12-2013, 01:51 AM
yEP, my bad. I think long ago it was just automatic: if the "default.lws" was there it happened, if not, not.

Emphasis on "think".

+++++
I'm taking a harder look at that panel, and there's all sorts of buttons that escape me: I have no idea what "Enable Master Autoload" does.

::sigh:: Sometimes familiarity gets in the way.

EDIT: the phrase "Enable Master Autoload" is not found in the PDF.

phillydee
03-12-2013, 06:55 AM
yEP, my bad. I think long ago it was just automatic: if the "default.lws" was there it happened, if not, not.

Emphasis on "think".

Glad my find helped!

IIRC, I never had to toggle anything prior to 11.5, it by default loaded the default.lws scene file. When I updated to 11.5, this had me stumped for a bit because like you, I couldn't figure out why my default scenes weren't autoloading. I actually posted this same question here, but never got a reply. I finally figured out that you had to have that "Load Scene Defaults" set to on--a button I had not noticed prior to 11.5.

Cheers!

jeric_synergy
03-12-2013, 08:22 AM
IIRC, I never had to toggle anything prior to 11.5, it by default loaded the default.lws scene file. When I updated to 11.5, this had me stumped for a bit because like you, I couldn't figure out why my default scenes weren't autoloading. I actually posted this same question here, but never got a reply. I finally figured out that you had to have that "Load Scene Defaults" set to on--a button I had not noticed prior to 11.5.
Glad it wasn't just me. I wonder what that button defaults to. It's in 11.0.3, but that's as far back as I go.

Ta!

jeric_synergy
03-13-2013, 11:56 AM
If I knew how to follow-up on a fogbugz report, I'd tell NTek it was just pilot error (saving them forty seconds), although the dox still need a small correction.

I know there's a way to follow up on a fogbugz report, but it's always just long enough between reports for me to forget the correction procedure.