PDA

View Full Version : compositing objects to video

grandpasalexis
03-11-2013, 10:45 AM
A noobie to lightwave I thought i'd try the trial before buying and for the life of me i can't figure out how to composite a simple object into a video avi.
It's a short fraps capture of an online game and the object is a simple ball. I've rendered and saved the video sequence for background, did the same
for the object but can't seem to composite the two. What am i doing wrong or doesn't lightwave work that way?

nickdigital
03-11-2013, 10:55 AM
If you load your video game sequence into the Background Image pulldown in the Compositing tab you can render your ball against your sequence.

If you want to do it by layering your two sequences together you can load your ball sequence as the Foreground Image in the same Compositing tab.

Orimar
03-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Hi grandpasalexis:

These two video tutorials by William Vaughan, although a bit old, still apply and will give you a good idea regarding composting in LightWave.

You can find them at the following links:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Comp.mov
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Foreground.mov

Something to remember: LightWave is not a compositing application; it's a full fledged 3D program with some compositing functions.

By the way, you can find 24 hours of LightWave video tutorials here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?77002-Hours-of-Free-LightWave-Training-%2824-Hours-%29

Welcome and have fun.

.o.

VictoryX
03-11-2013, 11:55 PM
First you will need a camera tracking program. Syntheyes, Boujou, or PFTrack will work. After you track your shot you will need to export a Lightwave scene. Once that scene is in place you can bring your object and import your footage as well with F6 inside of Layout. Once the two are there you need to find out if you need a ground plane. if your object sits on top of something if so give the ground plane it's own shader. Under the color choose Front Projection, and choosre your camera that you imported and the footage. Afterwards you set up your lighting, set up your lighting the way you need it. Once set up adjust the grounds diffuse and luminosity until it disappears in the render. Now you can adjust your object, If you have a good tracking program it will export the tracking points and hopefully one will be near where you need to place your object. Parent your object to that null. Once your object is tracked you can , color correct through it's shader and render. Note if you change the lighting you will need to adjust the Diffuse and Luminose of the ground plane once again to disappear. It is time consuming and bit difficult to do a full composite in Lightwave. Whereas doing one in AE, Nuke, Fusion or Shake would be a better alternative, but it can be done.