PDA

View Full Version : Thicken breaks weights?

lwanmtr
03-10-2013, 08:05 PM
I've thickened some parts for clothing on a character, but the weights (while showing up) seem to be messed up. Anyone else notice this?

jeric_synergy
03-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Picture?

lwanmtr
03-11-2013, 12:10 AM
Picture doesnt help. The Weights show as correct, but some arent being effected.

jeric_synergy
03-11-2013, 12:42 AM
So, they display as proper in LWM, but aren't being updated in Layout re bones? If that's the case, it's reminiscent of other updating issues between LWM and Layout. Perhaps the same cures for those will work here.

If you interrogate on a point by point basis, rather than Weight view, do they still give proper numbers?

lwanmtr
03-11-2013, 12:54 AM
havent checked point by point yet. I'll do another later or tomorrow on a simpler model.

jeric_synergy
03-11-2013, 01:29 AM
So, they display as proper in LWM, but aren't being updated in Layout re bones? If that's the case, it's reminiscent of other updating issues between LWM and Layout. Perhaps the same cures for those will work here.

If you interrogate on a point by point basis, rather than Weight view, do they still give proper numbers?

lwanmtr
11-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Just a bump to see if anything will be done about this?

When you have a weight map, and use Thicken, the edge polys creats arent correctly weighted, however it looks like the generated inner polys are. Attached an image to show what I'm talking about.

LW_Will
11-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Check that you don't have Cadmill-Clark engaged. I've seen that happen when playing with weights and clark surfaces.

lwanmtr
11-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I dont have CC turned on. And its just a plane that i thickened in that pic.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I dont have CC turned on. And its just a plane that i thickened in that pic.

jeric_synergy
11-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Excellent find, and doesn't look that hard to fix...OY, first reported back in March? Did you ever submit a fogbugz report?

bobakabob
11-09-2013, 01:40 AM
Could it be the new polys have their own unique surface name so therefore no weights?
As a workaround how about applying weights after using Thicken?
PS Aren't you likely to run into loads of problems with thickened clothing when animating, like inside surfaces penetrating outside especially if using dynamics? Perhaps it's best to stick to double sided polys?

jwiede
11-09-2013, 04:00 AM
Aren't you likely to run into loads of problems with thickened clothing when animating, like inside surfaces penetrating outside especially if using dynamics? Perhaps it's best to stick to double sided polys?

Dynamics should be able to deal with SBD for items with "thickness" (iow, actual interior volume) -- if anything, that makes them more realistic. Typically, when given meshes lacking volume, they'll actually "fake" it as if it has a tiny thickness (and thus volume) because many of the soft-body dynamics equations explicitly require volume.

probiner
11-09-2013, 06:16 AM
check if the same thing happens with the new tools (EditEdges right click, Chamfer and Slice)

Seems to be the same thing as in here:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?138442-Chamfer-Bug&p=1352283&viewfull=1#post1352283

Cheers

jeric_synergy
11-09-2013, 01:38 PM
again, needs to be reported to get fixed.

I will say: certain REPEATING issues come up that IMO should be caught in the alpha testing phase, OR DOCUMENTED as a tool shortcoming (it doesn't even need to be fixed, but it should be NOTED).

Weight map issues is one of these things that seem to slip thru repeatedly. Both the devs and the documentation writers should have a checkbox for "What happens to weights with this tool?" Obviously this is going to be a bigger deal for tools that create new geometry than for tools that just warp/distort existing geometry.

jwiede
11-09-2013, 07:23 PM
again, needs to be reported to get fixed.

I will say: certain REPEATING issues come up that IMO should be caught in the alpha testing phase, OR DOCUMENTED as a tool shortcoming (it doesn't even need to be fixed, but it should be NOTED).

Weight map issues is one of these things that seem to slip thru repeatedly. Both the devs and the documentation writers should have a checkbox for "What happens to weights with this tool?" Obviously this is going to be a bigger deal for tools that create new geometry than for tools that just warp/distort existing geometry.

Agreed 100%! James Willmot did say LW3DG was looking into the broader issue, so it was known. If a known issue isn't going to be fixed by the end of the current release cycle, then at least it needs to be documented as a known issue in the release.

There's almost no documentation of known issues in 11.6's change notes (only one clearly noted), yet it seems like there were quite a few known/reported issues left unresolved by 11.6's release. Could someone at LW3DG please look into updating the change notes?

jeric_synergy
11-09-2013, 09:08 PM
That kind of transparency would REALLY be nice, and it would save us wondering if anybody reads our reports.