PDA

View Full Version : Print on a 3D Printer using LightWave v9.6 - 11.5

ConjureBunny
03-09-2013, 07:36 PM
This will let you export your LightWave3D objects to a format that can be easily printed on a 3D printer.

Export STL 2.0 is almost a complete rewrite of the original, and should fix all kinds of stuff. Lemme know how it works out for you!

Changes in version 2.0
* Updated LScript commands for compatibility with 9.x through 11.5
* Switched to ASCII only.
* Got rid of Mac/PC issues
* Fixes invert issues by default to maximize compatibility
* Added more robust error checking instead of deleting random parts of user's model
* Added base unit scale, assuming output requires mm support.
* Added rotation for x axis, so finished products are oriented in the same direction as they are in LW
* Corrected undo calculation so *hopefully* there is no difference to your model after using this script.
* Fixed some other stuff I forgot to pay attention to
* Updated notes in lscript so the user knows what they're getting into.
* Added reference notes in the stl file so you can remember where you put the original file by reading the STL.
* Added better error checking for filename conflicts and other issues.

Grab it for free from Liberty3D :
http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/03/fre...-through-11-5/

Thanks!
-Chilton

BigHache
03-10-2013, 05:59 AM
Awesomesauce! This should remove a step for me.

ianr
03-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Conjure,
Good future Thinkin'

Bright Move>>>>>Hey! Newtek make this Sticky!

ConjureBunny
03-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Video in this thread...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?134202-NEW-VIDEO-3D-Printing-in-LightWave-11-5

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
03-10-2013, 11:32 AM
It looks like I can't edit the page, and that link is wrong (thanks, copy+paste). It should be...

http://www.liberty3d.com/2013/03/free-lscript-export-to-stl-2-0-for-lightwave-9-x-through-11-5/

-Chilton

sublimationman
03-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Bravo!! Thanks for the size fix. I use to have to export as collada, then open in Google Sketchup and export the STL, and many times it would loose something in the translation and had to be fixed in Netfabb.

Now it will be much easier.

Thanks!

khan973
03-11-2013, 05:10 AM
Thanks, I use 3D printers and I had to scale way up my objects + fix the inversion.
Nice improvements!

Greenlaw
03-11-2013, 05:49 AM
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this tool. :)

G.

ConjureBunny
03-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Hi guys!

Thanks to an intensive day of testing, I have an update to this that will work even better in cases where you have direct access to the printer. However, my main Mac died yesterday, and it's one of those fancy ones you're not supposed to open on your own. So I get to go visit the Apple store today. I'll put the new one online as soon as I get "my precious" back.

In the meantime, this one will work (and better than earlier versions), it's just not as super-awesome for direct connections as the one I finished yesterday.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
03-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Also, people have asked if they could donate to a fund to have this expanded to include color printing, etc.

I'm not going anywhere, and plan on fleshing out this script for my own devious needs. But if you really want to see it expanded further, rather than donate, just buy any of the videos (or a copy of the game) I have listed in the footer here. You *might* learn something, or at least be entertained, and it will have the same overall effect.

I plan on adding the binary version back in, because it can support limited color. I've contacted Z-Corp and asked for details on the .zpr color printing format for their color printers. I'll possibly add in other formats (so it will export more than just stl), and um... whatever I need to do, so that I can finally achieve my dream of printing out all those toys I didn't get as a kid, when the MEGO Corporation ran out of Micronauts.

Bastards.

Anyway, yeah, I'm going to keep expanding this. I'll add color at some point soon.

-Chilton

Greenlaw
03-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Awesome! Thanks Chilton--we'll look forward to it. :)

geo_n
03-11-2013, 11:22 AM
This is cool thanks! I'm using zprinter from zcorp and using lightwave. If this can export my object in lw which is in metric and zprinter is able to get correct scale in inches that would be great. Can't wait for the color support.

ConjureBunny
03-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Yeah that's the real trick here. And it's a PITA doing that conversion.

I think the only real way to do this 'right' will be to have a button for Modeler's Default Unit Size, and the output unit size.

I had a real nightmare trying to get this to print before (a few months ago), and only realized recently that the problem was the printer wanted inches, and I was giving it millimeters. Bah.

-Chilton

geo_n
03-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Your other question regarding wrl files in the other thread. That's the only file format that zprinter also support as colored afaik. The best one I use is right hemisphere deep exploration.